Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Who has replaced a complete 3rd member and/or clam-shell from ECGS?

Old 12-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
Don't really understand 2WD trucks....
4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all

4X42HEL's Tacoma Gallery
Who has replaced a complete 3rd member and/or clam-shell from ECGS?

I'm doing some research for options to re-gear, and I gave ECGS a call today. The guy was very helpful and basically told me he would recommend I just buy the rear 3rd member and front clamshell as complete assemblies and just swap them out of my truck, instead of having a shop perform ring/pinion installs.

This sort of makes sense.

Question is: Has anybody gone this route and installed the parts themselves in this manner? I read the sticky about the 3rd member replacement and it doesn't seem too difficult, but I don't know if it makes sense to swap out my factory equipment for members that can be 4 or 5 years older with thousands of miles on them? I know they are rebuilt, but I'm just wondering what others have done.

FWIW, that Chase guy was very knowledgeable and helpful.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ive been thinking of going the same route...
Old 12-30-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You might get something older but as you said it is rebuilt. The housing itself doesn't wear down and they only accept good housings from customers. If you can have the truck down for a while you can send them your 3rd for them to rebuild or have someone nearby do it.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I'd ask Chase which components in the third are new and which are used. If they rebuild them with new gears, bearings and seals then I'd think the quality would be as good as new. Like whippersnapper said, the housing doesn't really wear out and I'd think the same goes for the carrier.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I wen this way for my ARB installs. He set them up and sent them out to me, I swapped them and sent mine back.

No problems.

Chase has a great warranty so you dont need to worry about anything. Literally. I toasted a Lock-Rite I had and he creditted me towards the ARB the full price over a year later.

Best Customer Service you will get, hands down.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
IMO best way to do it and 5 year warranty to boot!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:17 PM   #7
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, chances are the housing you get won't be that old anyway.

Best way to do it I think.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:35 AM   #8
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: NY STATE POLICE-Investigator (RET)
Name: Ted
Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
swapped the front out but built the rear. i would have swapped both although i have a detroit trutrac in the rear. i strongly suggest the swap its a real pain in the ass to do it yourself . to pay someone to rebuild and install it will cost about 1000-1500 for labor,about 10-15 hours
Old 08-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
What's wrong bro, DERPes flaring up?
Turd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Hull Technician 2nd Class
Name: Big Jim
Turd Herding Jim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepidy View Post
swapped the front out but built the rear. i would have swapped both although i have a detroit trutrac in the rear. i strongly suggest the swap its a real pain in the ass to do it yourself . to pay someone to rebuild and install it will cost about 1000-1500 for labor,about 10-15 hours
Just came across the thread, I just got my new 3rd member and clamshell in yesterday going to shoot for the install this weekend. If you're still interested I will let you know how everything goes!
Old 08-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
i would be quite interested..... esp if you took some pics while doing the install.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #11
Turd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Good luck. The rear ain't too bad. The front is a royal PITA. Getting that diff out from under the truck was the hardest part. You have to pivot/wiggle it out to get the rear most mount off the crossmember
Is it going to help me out that I have the 2.7? You know not as much motor under da hood could possibly mean a little more room to work with underneath. And it can't be as hard as the bullshit DB lift I installed in my old silverado. Stupid Rough Country and their discount lifts
Old 08-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Not sure I've never been under the hood of a 4 banger to check. All I know is I had a tough time wiggling the clamshell out the flange kept hitting the bell housing on the transmission. Def a 2 person job for that part of it. I put it back in solo and it damn near broke me.
pretty sure there are going to be 4 of us working on it, me plus one in the back(easy end) and 2 pros up front
Old 08-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Nice! Just make sure you keep track of all your bolts and nuts and torque everything down. Took me a full weekend to do everything front and rear working mainly by myself so you should have it down in a day with 4 ppl I would think
hope so, shoe creek trip is coming up very soon, want to have these in!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #14

Talking Rear ECGS 3rd member swap complete

finished the rear diff install! Really Simple, here's what you do:

First drain oil from diff, top hole is fill and bottom is drain

next unbolt drive shaft at rear diff flange

then unbolt all of your brake lines from rear axle housing

then unbolt your emergency brake lines from frame on both sides of truck

next unbolt the 4 bolts holding drums to axle housing on both sides and unplug ABS sensors. Might have to use a dead blow to break drums free from axle housing. Do this on both sides.

then unbolt 3rd member from axle housing

Now that you have the 3rd member unbolted this is where having 3 people with you comes in very handy. Have the two other guys gently pull on the brake drums so the axles are clear from the gears in order to pull 3rd member.

When 3rd is out install new 3rd with your buddies once again gently pulling on the brake drums for clearance. Now re-install everything in the reverse order I just described. Just a note after you bolt in the new 3rd you may have to manually turn the drive flange in order for the axle splines to line up correctly and slide all the way in.

Like I said this was a surprisingly easy job, next weekend...front diff swap(don't worry I removed my front drive shaft so I wont be blowing up my transfer case due to the different gears)

You boys with the PreRunners have it made when it comes to this lol!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #15
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Herding Jim View Post
finished the rear diff install! Really Simple, here's what you do:

First drain oil from diff, top hole is fill and bottom is drain

next unbolt drive shaft at rear diff flange

then unbolt all of your brake lines from rear axle housing

then unbolt your emergency brake lines from frame on both sides of truck

next unbolt the 4 bolts holding drums to axle housing on both sides and unplug ABS sensors. Might have to use a dead blow to break drums free from axle housing. Do this on both sides.

then unbolt 3rd member from axle housing

Now that you have the 3rd member unbolted this is where having 3 people with you comes in very handy. Have the two other guys gently pull on the brake drums so the axles are clear from the gears in order to pull 3rd member.

When 3rd is out install new 3rd with your buddies once again gently pulling on the brake drums for clearance. Now re-install everything in the reverse order I just described. Just a note after you bolt in the new 3rd you may have to manually turn the drive flange in order for the axle splines to line up correctly and slide all the way in.

Like I said this was a surprisingly easy job, next weekend...front diff swap(don't worry I removed my front drive shaft so I wont be blowing up my transfer case due to the different gears)

You boys with the PreRunners have it made when it comes to this lol!
Don't forget about the very important cleaning process between pulling out your old 3rd and installing the new one!

Here is a good write up I helped with.. It's for a 2nd gen w/ rear e-locker, but that means less steps if you're open or have an arb locker.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...rd-member.html
Old 08-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #16
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Trolled by the bump. Woops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Don't forget about the very important cleaning process between pulling out your old 3rd and installing the new one!

Glad you mentioned this. Tis important....absolutely critical if you've blown up your gearset.

Also, don't forget to re-seal Jim
Old 08-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #17
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Trolled by the bump. Woops.

Glad you mentioned this. Tis important.

Also, don't forget to re-seal Jim
I almost answered OP's question.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #18
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post

Glad you mentioned this. Tis important....absolutely critical if you've blown up your gearset.
That's a good time!
Old 08-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #19
Never take the bait

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
That's a good time!
Always fun!