Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Factory front mudflaps

Old 12-30-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
Thelt is on a distinguished road
Thelt's Tacoma Gallery
Factory front mudflaps

I just bought a new 2012 Tacoma. It is a double cab 4x4. It does not have any of the TRD packages. It has the factory front mud flaps that hang pretty low to the ground. I have noticed that when I go over a decent bump that seem to be scrapping the ground. I hear a crunch noise anyway. Anyone else have this happen? Is there a good solution for this besides removing the mud flaps? I live on a dirt road and like having the flaps.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
charles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud of

charles08tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I'd trim them. It happens to all Tacomas that have the front flaps.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...mud-flaps.html
Old 12-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome aboard, and welcome to one of the biggest design flaws the Tacoma has! Pull em off (before they scuff up the surrounding paint) or trim them are your options; there are a couple of aftermarket ones that are out there, but I personally don't like the look of them. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
davelac will become famous soon enough
davelac's Tacoma Gallery
Happens to me too on my 2011.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
These are the best I have seen aftermarket (and relatively inexpensive):

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...5-shipped.html
Old 12-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Trim them while you still have them. Otherwise, the Huskyliners are a great product.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
Thelt's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys, anyone know where a picture of the Husky mudflaps is online? Or better yet anyone have them on their truck and have a picture to shaer?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
TJ Asher has a spectacular aura aboutTJ Asher has a spectacular aura aboutTJ Asher has a spectacular aura about

Name: TJ
TJ Asher's Tacoma Gallery
I have one Husky and one OEM. The OEM is trimmed. I can upload a pic in a few minutes.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #10
TJ Asher has a spectacular aura aboutTJ Asher has a spectacular aura aboutTJ Asher has a spectacular aura about

Name: TJ
TJ Asher's Tacoma Gallery
Here are a couple crappy cell phone pics. These are both front flaps.

Trimmed OEM is on passenger side.

Husky is on driver side.

Considering OEM flaps are $125 EACH the Husky's are a no-brainer at $40 a PAIR.

I've broken 3 OEM flaps in 2 years. The driver side one I broke off backing out of my own driveway last summer. Not sure how the F that happened.

Don't know why the images are on their sides though...
Attached Thumbnails
Factory front mudflaps-photo-4-.jpg   Factory front mudflaps-photo-3-.jpg  
Old 12-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome! Trim with a tin snip. If you don't they will trim themselves when backing over something (and maybe break off or do other damage).
Old 12-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
Thelt's Tacoma Gallery
I may just order a set of the Husky flaps. I am afraid I will make a mangled up mess of them if I try to trim them. I can probably sell the OEM ones on Ebay and make the money back I spend on the Husky flaps.

I have only noticed a problem with the front flaps. Do you guys have any problems out of the set on the back? I was thinking I would just leave them in place and just buy the front ones.

Thanks for the pictures, they look good. I would not know they were not factory by looking at them.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
Thelt's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered a set for the front.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
Thelt's Tacoma Gallery
I have realized that my back set also hit the ground at times. I have taken them off. I am thinking about ordering the back ones from Husky. Anyone know how much shorter they are than the factory flaps?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #15
saf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nice
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
How badly does the rocker panel paint get beat up if you remove the mud flaps and don't replace them with anything?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #16
Professional Goofball
zul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to behold
zul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt View Post
I have realized that my back set also hit the ground at times. I have taken them off. I am thinking about ordering the back ones from Husky. Anyone know how much shorter they are than the factory flaps?
I think the Husky rear flaps are the same length as OEM. I'm considering getting a pair for the front and just leaving the rear stock... or trimming the stock ones just above the 4x4 symbol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf023 View Post
How badly does the rocker panel paint get beat up if you remove the mud flaps and don't replace them with anything?
I've heard pretty bad. Any mud/sand/rocks that your tires go over will fling right into your rocker and side panels. I like the look of no flaps... but I'm not willing to destroy my paint over it.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #17
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zul View Post
Any mud/sand/rocks that your tires go over will fling right into your rocker and side panels. I like the look of no flaps... but I'm not willing to destroy my paint over it.
I trimmed 4" off the front & 1" off the back. A lot less scapping when off roading. Lifted the Taco 3" front & back and now almost never hear them. When I put 33" tires on I probably will never hear them.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #18
Thelt's Tacoma Gallery
I may get a pair of universal fit flexible type flaps and see if they look decent for the back.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #19
Tdye82 is on a distinguished road
Tdye82's Tacoma Gallery
Not a very good picture but here's a shot of my Husky Liner Mud Guards. Cant beat em for the price. Front is shorter than stock rear is the same length just no 4x4 on em. Hope this helps.

By tdye82 at 2011-12-27
Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #20
mtnbiker310 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
mtnbiker310's Tacoma Gallery
tydye what are the names of those wheels you have on that? looks sick!

Is it easy to just take the front flaps off of my '12 taco? looks like dumbo ears!