LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Factory fog light switch with Hella 500s

Old 12-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
Factory fog light switch with Hella 500s

Need some help guys. I have a 2011 Tacoma Prerunner. I have a set of Hella 500s that I am going to mount behind my grill. I have a factory fog light switch that I want to use and mount it in one of the blank spots on the dash. Can anyone tell me how this will need to be wired? According to the Hella instructions, there is only one wire going to their included switch, one wire to ground off of the switch, and one wire to positive off of the switch. The factory toyota plug I have has 4 wires coming off of it. Basically need to know how to wire these lights to the factory toyota switch. Can anyone help me out please?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
muisejt is a jewel in the roughmuisejt is a jewel in the roughmuisejt is a jewel in the rough
muisejt's Tacoma Gallery
the top two pins are the one's you need, put the ground on one and the wire from the relay on the other. the bottom two are for the light in the switch
Old 12-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ok if I do that, how do I get the lights powered up? There has to be a positive wire coming off of the switch somewhere to get power going to the lights, right? Please take a look at my crude wiring and see if you understand what I am asking?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure if you have a volt meter handy but push the switch in (close the ckt) and find 2 pins that have continuity. Put your hot from your battery to one prong and the hot to the lights on the other.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Also hook the ground and a short wire from the battery and find out which prong lights up the LED when the ckt is closed, make a jumper from the same prong on the OEM foG light switch as they are only small amperage
Old 12-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
muisejt is a jewel in the roughmuisejt is a jewel in the roughmuisejt is a jewel in the rough
muisejt's Tacoma Gallery
you have four wires coming off the relay, power goes to two of them, one goes to the lights and the other to the switch. when the wire that goes to the switch is grounded it causes the solenoid in the relay to move and close the circuit going to the lights, i.e. there is now power going to the lights
Old 12-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
Retired Senior NCO

OK, so I would wire one of the wires to the battery and one to the yellow wire off of the relay, and what do I do with the other two? Sorry if these are stupid questions but I don't have a lot of knowledge on this kind of stuff.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
muisejt's Tacoma Gallery
connect red and blue to +12v, black goes to lights and yellow goes to top pin (pin 4) on switch, next pin down (pin 3) goes to ground
Old 12-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
Retired Senior NCO

muisejt,

You say to connect red and blue to +12v but the blue wire coming off of the relay is a negative according to the hella instructions?
Old 12-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
muisejt's Tacoma Gallery
you could do it that way, you would just need to run +12v to the switch instead of a ground
Old 12-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
Retired Senior NCO

Ok, I am totally lost, lol.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #12
muisejt's Tacoma Gallery
here's two diagrams that show each way you can hook it up, and don't forget a fuse between the battery and relay like I did in the diagrams

Old 12-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #14
The One The Only
rhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mitchell
rhion82's Tacoma Gallery
For the 12v I tapped into the power that powers the radio when the key is turned on. But for the factory switch I do not know. I will be ordering me one so I'll come back here to check for the answer lol.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #15
Retired Senior NCO

muisejt,

I think the diagrams you made will help but it looks like there is only 2 wires being used from the factory switch on either diagram. Are the other two wires from the switch only used if you want the switch to illuminate?
Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #16
muisejt's Tacoma Gallery
yes they are for the switch illumination. if you look at an existing switch you'll see a green wire and a green/white wire, those are for the illumination. if you have a plug connected to the back of the blank you pop out to put the switch in you just you those wires for the illumination
Old 12-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #17
Retired Senior NCO

Ok, here is what I just tried to test things out. I wired the red wire (+) from the relay to the + post on the battery and the blue wire (-) from the relay to the - side of the battery. I wired the yellow wire from the relay to one of the wires on the new factory switch and ground the other wire from the factory switch to a ground. The switch will not turn the lights on/off. They just stay constantly lit. What am I doing wrong now? Am I getting closer?

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:50 AM   #18
Retired Senior NCO

morning bump
Old 12-31-2011, 06:54 AM   #19
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...l-anytime.html

Second link in this thread has diagrams and pictures. Might help?