2012 emblem: Toyota Trucks 'T' or TOYOTA letters

View Poll Results: What kind of emblem?
Toyota Trucks 'T' 95 32.76%
FJ 'TOYOTA' lettering 185 63.79%
Other (Please explain) 10 3.45%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
Professional Goofball
zul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to behold
zul's Tacoma Gallery
2012 emblem: Toyota Trucks 'T' or TOYOTA letters

So one of the mods I most desperately want to do to my new truck is a front emblem swap. I'm not sure if I like the whole satoshi grille thing, but I am not a fan of the standard Toyota emblem. However, I AM a fan of keeping my truck looking mostly stock. I know. I'm full of contradictions and a little picky.

I absolutely LOVE the look of the classic TOYOTA letter emblem from the old FJ's. But to put that on the front requires major grille surgery. I'm sure you've all seen how great this looks. (TACOFEAVER's pic)

To keep things fairly stock looking, the Toyota TRUCKS "T" emblem would probably fit right in where the stock embelm goes now. This would be an easy install, would be unique, and just might look cool. (Maybe - I havent seen one mounted yet!)

For a little background, I want to eventually color-match my front grille surround (ugh, chrome...) and change up the front emblem at the same time. I dont really like the idea of a blacked-out front emblem because to me its too subtle, and just looks like I popped the whole thing out. I plan to either color-match or black out my side/rear badges. The former looks best IMO but is a pain in the ass/expensive. The latter is easy & cheap (plasti-derp) and looks OK - at least it gets rid of god-awful chrome.

So what do you all think? Take a chance with the T emblem, or use a little elbow grease and some engineering sorcery to attach the old-school FJ lettering?

And in case anyone forgot what the 2012 front look like:
Old 12-30-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
USCoastGuard12 is on a distinguished road

Name: Conner
USCoastGuard12's Tacoma Gallery
Devil horn emblem
Old 12-30-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
talk to metalmiller. im sure he can whip you one up
Old 12-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
ROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: EOD Tech
Name: Jake
ROGU3 PR3DATOR's Tacoma Gallery
You might try Dupli-color to color match your badges.

As for the front emblem, The T could look good and I think would go well with the new grill design of the 2012s. Or the Toyota Devil. The old FJ lettering does look really good but I dont think it would do well on a 2012 without giving the Grille a major face lift like a Satoshi or a Grillcraft.

My vote? Go with the T.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:49 PM   #5
Professional Goofball
zul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to behold
zul's Tacoma Gallery
I should have mentioned the devil horns emblem. While I respect and appreciate the ingenuity that when into the design and manufacturing of them (not to mention the official licensing!), I dont think they look great. If I go with a simple replacement of stock, I think it'll be the T emblem.

Plus does anyone else think the truck 'T' emblem matches the angular front of the 2012's almost perfectly? I'd love to see a mock-up...
Old 12-30-2011, 11:54 PM   #7
Professional Goofball
zul's Tacoma Gallery
BTW as of this instant I am leaning toward buying a color-matched grille whenever they become available, and modifying the extra insert with an abrasive saw, carbon fiber, bondo, a sander and some paint a la the satoshi process and adding the FJ Emblem, then installing that with the new painted grille. But I am open to some great suggestions, which is why I love TW
Old 12-31-2011, 12:15 AM   #9
NetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud of

Army:
Name: Tim
NetDep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zul View Post
BTW as of this instant I am leaning toward buying a color-matched grille whenever they become available, and modifying the extra insert with an abrasive saw, carbon fiber, bondo, a sander and some paint a la the satoshi process and adding the FJ Emblem, then installing that with the new painted grille. But I am open to some great suggestions, which is why I love TW
You won't regret the color matched grille!! I recently did mine - ordered a replacement from the dealer - and love it!! Think it really makes a difference in the look of the truck!! Next, for me, is black badging and removing the decals.

Awesome truck - congrats!!!
Old 12-31-2011, 12:40 AM   #10
Hollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud of
Name: Steve
Hollywood Ball's Tacoma Gallery
I really like the "Toyota" FJ lettering.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:20 AM   #11
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetDep View Post
You won't regret the color matched grille!! I recently did mine
i dont think they have a colormatched grille for the 2012 yet
Old 12-31-2011, 01:24 AM   #12
Professional Goofball
zul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
i dont think they have a colormatched grille for the 2012 yet
Well obviously the TRD sport models come with them... but I dont know where to buy them separately yet. Hopefully a dealer will step up and sell 'em at a discount to TW members again...
Old 12-31-2011, 01:24 AM   #13
Professional Goofball
zul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by barlowrs View Post
The toyota T emblem fits perfectly there. Here is my install: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post1805433

That looks great!! I'm lovin your truck!
Old 12-31-2011, 01:25 AM   #14
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by zul View Post
Well obviously the TRD sport models come with them... but I dont know where to buy them separately yet. Hopefully a dealer will step up and sell 'em at a discount to TW members again...
thats what i mean, not for sale separately yet. i was looking for one for you earlier because im bored at work lol. no luck. maybe try the dealership? im sure they can get you a part number and order it if they look hard enough
Old 12-31-2011, 03:31 AM   #15
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCoastGuard12 View Post
Devil horn emblem
That
Old 12-31-2011, 12:07 PM   #17
Professional Goofball
zul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28Gauge View Post

I guess that I'm partial to the TOYOTA logo.
As well you should be; that looks fantastic!
Old 12-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #18
MUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to all

MUDFISH's Tacoma Gallery
I like the Toyota... A subtle change that will really stand out...
Old 12-31-2011, 10:20 PM   #19
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Conspire with homertaco
This.

When I get my Satoshi from Homer I'm either doing the FJ Toyota or a black TRD emblem in the bottom drivers side corner. Haven't decided yet.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:19 PM   #20
Shep6924 is on a distinguished road

Shep6924's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28Gauge View Post

I guess that I'm partial to the TOYOTA logo.
I can dig it man...looking good