1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARB for 2012 Tacomas

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Wpsemple, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Jul 31, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    It really does not matter how sturdy the bumper is. If anything an ARB will make it so the air bags go off at smaller impact and trip easier. Here is some info about the crash sensors.

From this web site: http://www.aa1car.com/library/airbag01.htm

There are several different types of crash sensors.

A commonly used sensor is the electromechanical "gas dampened ball and tube" design. The sensor is nothing more than a small tube with a switch at one end and a gold plated steel ball at the other, held in place by a small magnet. When the sensor receives a hard enough jolt to knock the ball loose from the magnet, the ball rolls down the tube, hits the switch and closes the circuit. The tube is slanted upward so the ball should return to its original position after an impact.

Another common crash sensor is the "Rolamite" design by TRW. Inside is a small metal roller that rolls forward under sudden deceleration and trips a switch.

Some vehicles have "spring and mass" crash sensors in which a spring loaded weight is deflected by the impact to close a switch. Most newer vehicles now have solid state crash sensors that contain either a piezoelectric crystal or a "micromachined accelerometer" chip that produces an electronic signal when jolted.

Because many crash sensors will automatically reset themselves after a hard jolt, some car makers say their crash sensors do not have to be replaced after an accident as long as the sensors have not suffered damage. These include Acura, Audi, Chrysler, Ford, Infinity, Lexus, Mazda, Nissan and Toyota. The problem, of course, is knowing for sure whether or not a crash sensor has been damaged or has failed to reset itself.

2. Jul 31, 2012 at 8:25 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Crewmax TSS Off-Road 4x4, sr5/leather
    i see... i had not thought about airbag deployment with different bumpers. The worst problem i have is choosing which bumper i want to buy... thanks for the info!

3. Sep 9, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    Anyone have an update on this subject?

I have a 2012 Tacoma and I am another person looking to buy a front bumper that is made to fit this specific truck. I hope ARB knows there is a market. There is NOW at least one bumbper on the market made specifically for our 2012 Tacoma.

ARB might be well engineered, but they are not first to market! If they come out before I am ready to buy I will surely give thenm a chance to get my money.

4. Sep 10, 2012 at 5:27 AM
    Molon Labe

Molon Labe Never LBS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Snellville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica DC TRD 4x4 Auto V6
    see my build
    I e-mail the ARB USA president about every month for an update. He stated that they received a prototype back in July and it was under testing. My last e-mail to him (3 weeks ago). In his reply he said that they were tooling them then and hoped to come to market in late September. I would expect it in October know how things are going for 2012-13 development.

5. Sep 10, 2012 at 6:25 AM
    aw113sgte

aw113sgte Well-Known Member

Member:
    I contacted them as well (last week on their facebook). November-December is what I was told.

6. Sep 11, 2012 at 7:25 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    In some ways I wish they would not come out with this.:rolleyes:

I just know I will blow the cash on this when it comes out.:D

7. Sep 14, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    I just looke online at the ARB front bumper for a 2006 Tacoma to check on pricing. Without shopping around I saw $899. So, I would expect the new 2012 Tacoma specific bumper to be about the same price (give or take).

Have you seen the Tactical Armor bumper made specifically for the 2012 Tacoma? Looks pretty good and starts out at $580, you can add grille guard, etc. and get to $800 prety easy, but it looks well made. Worth a look. Add a winch from the current group buy for a real off-road worthy Taco.....

8. Oct 26, 2012 at 10:42 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Just checked the ARB site again still nothing.

Anyone hear anything on this lately?

9. Oct 27, 2012 at 5:46 AM
    aw113sgte

aw113sgte Well-Known Member

Member:
    November to December. No new info.

10. Oct 27, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    Molon Labe

Molon Labe Never LBS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Snellville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica DC TRD 4x4 Auto V6
    see my build
    I have mine on pre-order and it is scheduled to hit me in early December

11. Oct 27, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    cytocycle

cytocycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expedition Build - 2012 TRD Off-Road
    4.88, Radflo 2.5" Resi,ARB Front Bumper with fogs, TJM 9,000 synthetic rope winch with Pro-Link, AllPro Bolt on Sliders with fill plates, Asfir Aluminum Front Skid, Mid Skid, Gas Skid, Transfer Skid, AllPro Shackle flip kit with Timbern, CBI HC rear Bumper, Rigid Mesh Grill with 20" LED bar, White Sport Grill Opening, ARB Dual Compressors and 2 gallons of air tanks for air tools, Dakar Leaf Pack+2,front sway bar delete, Camburg UCA's, Stainless Steel Brake Lines on all wheels fixed mushy brakes, UltraGuage
    Yup I have my bumper on Pre-Order also... so I'll be getting one of the first, but since I just upgraded suspension and rear bumper I guess it's good that they aren't delivering since I'm broke now.. :) but i wish they would hurry it up

12. Oct 30, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC TRD Sport
    This looks like a picture of it here:

[​IMG]

13. Oct 30, 2012 at 2:48 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    Wow, the distance between the bumper and the top bar has grown a lot. That looks kinda weird or maybe it's just my eyes because I'm so dam tired.

14. Oct 30, 2012 at 2:51 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    It's actually a good thing if you ask me. The amount of flex in the body and bumper is much more than you might think. Having that gap could save your fenders on a hard hit.

15. Oct 30, 2012 at 2:52 PM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD

Does it have to be an ARB bumper?

Because there a few small fab shops offering them, I know one that is very high quality.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacoma-marketplace/235770-2012-front-plate-bumpers.html

16. Oct 30, 2012 at 2:52 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Old bumper. That's why it looks weird. They added a colour matched piece of plastic or whatever to the top wing of the ARB. Notice how the gloves are nicely placed? Not by chance me thinks.

17. Oct 30, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    Yea I've kinda ownerd ARB bumpers before so I know. lol I'm talking about the distance between the flat surface of the bumper (where the lights are) and the top bar.

Edit-Thank god the Aussies come through with a Kaymar rear bumper for the Tacoma!!! Thank you god!!

18. Oct 30, 2012 at 2:56 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    It does look taller

19. Oct 30, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    Ohhhh my bad lol. :eek:

20. Oct 30, 2012 at 3:05 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    No worries Traveler, I'm just shitting bricks over here with all the new stuff coming out.

Products Discussed in

To Top