Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Custom Storage/Gun Rack Idea for Double Cab

Old 01-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Tacown3d is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Tacown3d's Tacoma Gallery
Custom Storage/Gun Rack Idea for Double Cab

I've been brainstorming on how to better utilize the space behind the seat in a double cab and I've come up with an idea or two...

First, remove the factory plastic storage bins.

Second, have a sheet of aluminum cut to fit the space behind the seats with provisions to bolt or rivet the sheet into place.

Third, have a MOLLE panel custom manufactured to fit the space and attach it to the aluminum sheet. The MOLLE webbing offers ENDLESS storage/organization options using various pouches. The concept is already utilized well with accessories made for Jeeps and FJ Cruisers like so:

Lastly, at some point I'll add a law enforcement type gun lock for securely storing a shotgun or rifle horizontally behind the seat.

I'm also considering removing the under-seat storage bin and having a fab shop weld together a steel replacement with a locking lid for even more secure storage.

Ideas/opinions?
Old 01-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
IluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Demolition
IluvTEA's Tacoma Gallery
I like your ideas! I never thought of having a lockable metal lid put on the under seat storage...

I found this thread on a way to secure a rifle to the back wall of the truck. You could have that piece surrounded by molle gear.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post1861401

Let us know if make any progress with a fab shop. You could probably sell them too if it works out good.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:43 AM   #4
"Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."
tacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
tacomarotto's Tacoma Gallery
nom nom nom nom popcorn
Old 01-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Wallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard:
Wallygater's Tacoma Gallery
I have been wanting to do something like this also. Found some info that might be of interest.

http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/...g-MOLLE-Panels

This company has some cool products. Albeit none specifically for Tacomas but I'm sure they can come up with a solution to the back panel of the Tacoma as they do custom work. They are a little pricey but then again maybe they aren't. I'm cheap.

http://springtailsolutions.com/index.html

this is pretty sweet and will mount to any flat surface.

This would be good for behind our center consoles

The more I look at their products the more I'm diggin' this company. This is what they say about their new bags in the FJ side rack combo that just velcro to straps attached to their racks. So many possibilities here.

"We have improved the FJ combos for 2010. The Rear door and Side Rack combos will now include our exclusive MPAC STAT bags. These pouches have all the quality features of our earlier MOLLE Bags but now have the added feature of a quick release system. Once the Velcro backing is installed, the bags can be installed and removed literally in seconds. Rough terrain will not affect the pouches either because of the dynamic retaining straps that secure the bags in place. The new STAT bags are a bit more expensive but we feel that they will set the standard for quality and convenient use for the off road consumer."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U2Mw...eature=related

Here are some various rack sizes.

http://springtailsolutions.com/gpage13.html
Old 01-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #6

Marines:
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallygater View Post
I have been wanting to do something like this also. Found some info that might be of interest.

http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/...g-MOLLE-Panels

This company has some cool products. Albeit none specifically for Tacomas but I'm sure they can come up with a solution to the back panel of the Tacoma as they do custom work. They are a little pricey but then again maybe they aren't. I'm cheap.

http://springtailsolutions.com/index.html

this is pretty sweet and will mount to any flat surface.

The more I look at their products the more I'm diggin' this company. This is what they say about their new bags in the FJ side rack combo that just velcro to straps attached to their racks. So many possibilities here.

"We have improved the FJ combos for 2010. The Rear door and Side Rack combos will now include our exclusive MPAC STAT bags. These pouches have all the quality features of our earlier MOLLE Bags but now have the added feature of a quick release system. Once the Velcro backing is installed, the bags can be installed and removed literally in seconds. Rough terrain will not affect the pouches either because of the dynamic retaining straps that secure the bags in place. The new STAT bags are a bit more expensive but we feel that they will set the standard for quality and convenient use for the off road consumer."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U2Mw...eature=related

Here are some various rack sizes.

http://springtailsolutions.com/gpage13.html
I've looked at the M-PAC panels as a potential solution but I keep reading that the pouches are rather loose when attached unlike actual MOLLE webbing. The panels are really overpriced for what you're getting. I also think it would make for a cleaner install if the wall behind the panel wasn't visible through all those slots .

I'm thinking I can have my custom panel fabricated for less than $200. I hope.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
Wallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacown3d View Post
I've looked at the M-PAC panels as a potential solution but I keep reading that the pouches are rather loose when attached unlike actual MOLLE webbing. The panels are really overpriced for what you're getting. I also think it would make for a cleaner install if the wall behind the panel wasn't visible through all those slots .

I'm thinking I can have my custom panel fabricated for less than $200. I hope.
Well keep us updated on your progress. I agree that company is expensive. I was looking at the universal racks they make and for $200 you can get the FJ rear door panel from them that should fit the back wall of our trucks. It's 40 inches x 10.5 inches. Would just have to figure out how to attach it? But still, $200 is a lot and that doesn't include any pouches.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
This is a really good idea, but I think that company is a little bit expensive for what it achieves.

Maybe someone could fab something similar for behind our DC seats. Remove the plastic panels, and have some sort of panel bolted to the rear.

I would prefer something that is open enough to still utilize the existing baby seat restraints, and is far enough away from the wall(s) that you could easily sound deaden them.

Originally I was thinking that a slotted metal piece would be the way to go, but I think that might get too expensive (similar to Springtail solutions) but after further thought, I'm thinking just a metal frame to bolt to the rear, with a large cloth MOLLE panel tied in to the frame would be a better option. Apparently the metal panel is difficult to use with MOLLE as it doesn't allow any flex when attaching and removing, whereas a large cloth panel would be a bit easier to work with.

Thoughts? Maybe one of our resident fab shops would be willing to take up this challenge? I'm sure there would be some money in it. They wouldn't need to sell the pouches and bags themselves, as there are multiple companies out there already doing this. They would just need to sell the bracket and possibly the large panel to go with it.

I would be willing to pay upwards of $100-$150 for an entire rear seat solution (minus pouches/bags obviously)
Old 01-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
go to your local fabric shop and you can get all the materials for less than $20
if you already have your own sewing machine, little imagination and can follow a pattern...
Yea that's another option. I can't sew for the life of me, but I have a couple of female friends that can! Where there's a will, there's a way!

Now I just need some way to have a frame mounted in there. It wouldn't have to be super strong or thick. Maybe something in 1/2 inch square tube with a just couple of verticle supports. The cloth panel would need webbing straps around the outside of it to be attached.

Hmm...on further thought maybe separating it into thirds might be a better option, instead of having one large panel that could get floppy. Would also maybe allow easier access. Have 1/3 on the D/side access, and 2/3 on the P/side access.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #10

So I pulled my plastic panels out (soooo simple) and had a look at the kind of room it has. I can only see 8 threaded holes which could be used to mount a bracket to. There's 5 along the center support beam, and 3 more along the bottom. Nothing on the top. The bracket would probably need 3 or 4 bolts along the top, and I personally would mount it on the under side of the top beam, so avoid it getting in the way of the seats locking. Seams like a simple enough job. Just drill a hole and JBweld a nut on to the inside of it. The bottom and sides are what would concern me as there is no beam to attach to.

See this picture. I edited it to show where the existing screw holes are. I borrowed it from ItalynStylion's post in the Audio Visual DIY Thread. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ml#post1102277

Attached Thumbnails
Custom Storage/Gun Rack Idea for Double Cab-rear-2bseat-2bpanel-2b1.jpg  
Old 01-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #11

After giving this more thought, I'm trying to decide on materials. I'm thinking for the bracket, it should be made of something similar to the perforated steel that is used in street signs, but in just an L shape for accessibility to the bolts. I have zero knowledge on metals, but I'm trying to source some perforated aluminum in L shape pieces. It doesn't need to be thick or structurally strong. Something that can be cut with tin snips I suppose.

Ideas?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #12
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
ROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: EOD Tech
Name: Jake
ROGU3 PR3DATOR's Tacoma Gallery
You might try metal drywall corners. There able to be cut with snips and already have holes in them. Not very sturdy though.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #14

Marines:
I plan to make a cardboard template of the panel and have one fabricated from a sheet of aluminum that's thick enough to prevent flexing. Cutting basic shapes and drilling a few holes usually doesn't cost much.

I found a place online that manufactures custom MOLLE panels for safe doors and such. It would be a pretty easy job for them to sew together the panel to fit my aluminum plate. http://www.wildebuilttactical.com/st...oor-panel.html

When it's all done, the entire wall behind the seat will have a clean install of MOLLE webbing ready for any pouch I desire.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #15
Coast Guard:
Quote:
I plan to make a cardboard template of the panel and have one fabricated from a sheet of aluminum that's thick enough to prevent flexing. Cutting basic shapes and drilling a few holes usually doesn't cost much.

I found a place online that manufactures custom MOLLE panels for safe doors and such. It would be a pretty easy job for them to sew together the panel to fit my aluminum plate. http://www.wildebuilttactical.com/st...oor-panel.html

When it's all done, the entire wall behind the seat will have a clean install of MOLLE webbing ready for any pouch I desire.
Please keep us posted on your progress.

Well I pulled the passenger side out and now all the plastic is gone from back there. There really isn't a lot of room. I looked at it in the perspective of putting a similar metal rack like the ridiculously expensive company I posted about above, but as mentioned, not a lot of room and expensive.

I think the aluminum plate covered in molle cloth is the best solution and it's still not ideal cause of the lack of room. I would put the plate down towards the bottom if anywhere. I don't know if I'm gonna do anything now. I'm definitely leaving the plastic bins out cause there is a lot more space without them. Also I will probably save up for the gun mount with sling like in the pic below. That is mainly what I want to accomplish anyway.

After looking at it more I think I could just buy some pouches/duffel bags and leave them on the floorboard then mount the gun rack in the middle section. That should fill the available space up nicely.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:33 AM   #16
ToughMudder is on a distinguished road

Name: Nathan
ToughMudder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm also considering removing the under-seat storage bin and having a fab shop weld together a steel replacement with a locking lid for even more secure storage.
I have been thinking the same thing! I really want to be able to securely lock my rifle up and not worry about a break into my truck and losing a nice rifle
Old 08-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #17
hillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
hillbillytoyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughMudder View Post
I have been thinking the same thing! I really want to be able to securely lock my rifle up and not worry about a break into my truck and losing a nice rifle
I know this is an old thread but have you come up with anything. I am trying to do the same thing but I'm still looking at materials