Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What antenna do you have on your Tacoma?

View Poll Results: What size antenna is on your Tacoma?
Stock 1,038 69.62%
Aftermarket, 24" or over 15 1.01%
Aftermarket, between 12" and 24" 187 12.54%
Aftermarket, 12" or less 251 16.83%
Voters: 1491. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #301
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapcinq View Post
Not a problem.. Looks like this (found on this site )

That a 2012 thing? I didn't get one of those.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #302
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
That a 2012 thing? I didn't get one of those.

I guess.. was in my 2012.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #303
EwwFishTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Joey
EwwFishTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the CravenSpeed stubby antenna. Really like the clean look. Not to mention -- don't have to worry about it snapping in half if I ever have to take it through an automatic car wash
Old 04-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #304
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
The stocker. Just cut it down to where it doesn't hit the garage door but is just a bit over the roof line. Reception is as good as it ever was, and it's free. Not bashin' anyone's aftermarket. I'm just cheap
Old 04-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #305
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
the one that it came with
Old 04-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #306
AntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to behold

AntennaX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapcinq View Post
So they dont snap off. There is generally signs at carwashes saying to roll down your antenna, or take it off.
correct
Old 04-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #307
NCTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Caleb
NCTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
AntennaX euro as of Wednesday. Really, really like it so far. I haven't been to far out of the county yet but plan to this weekend. Mountain trip planned. I'll attach a picture for anyone wondering how it will look. Thanks AntennaX.
Attached Thumbnails
What antenna do you have on your Tacoma?-p1030719.jpg   What antenna do you have on your Tacoma?-p1030720.jpg   What antenna do you have on your Tacoma?-p1030724.jpg  
Old 04-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #308
Stay lifted my friends !
Wattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Uncle K
Wattapunk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
The stocker. Just cut it down to where it doesn't hit the garage door but is just a bit over the roof line. Reception is as good as it ever was, and it's free. Not bashin' anyone's aftermarket. I'm just cheap
x2. That's what I did.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #309
Pitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Trick
Pitchfork311's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, i'm running the same, AntennaX euro. Love the look, its short and no reception issues what so ever. However, I do worry about someone walking up and unscrewing it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTacoma View Post
AntennaX euro as of Wednesday. Really, really like it so far. I haven't been to far out of the county yet but plan to this weekend. Mountain trip planned. I'll attach a picture for anyone wondering how it will look. Thanks AntennaX.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #310
AntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to behold

AntennaX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchfork311 View Post
Yep, i'm running the same, AntennaX euro. Love the look, its short and no reception issues what so ever. However, I do worry about someone walking up and unscrewing it...
nothing like those parking lot antenna thieves!!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #311
Goose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud of
Goose8651's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the short 14" billet antenna about three weeks ago. From driving all over North Texas (city and country landscapes), I am switching back to the OEM one. Reason I wanted a shorter one was that the antenna would hit my garage door when leaving.

The antennax 14" that I bought has the reception cut in and out all the time. Some stations, I have great signal, but of course the ones I listen too the most, I can't because of the fading of signal.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #312
tundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nice

tundrataco's Tacoma Gallery
i just went to sprawl mart today and picked up the 8$ rubber antenna, 13". i came with 4 adapter studs, none of them fit, i ended up tapping my existing mast from 10-32 to 1/4-20 and screwed it in, so far no change in reception, i like the look, and i dont hit things with it anymore..

Old 04-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #313
BS1981 is on a distinguished road

EMS: Onsite Medical, Amazon.com
Name: Greg
BS1981's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigsmit View Post
I have this antenna built by Nestor at Tundra talk. http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tun...l-antenna.html

Its 3" shorter than stock made out of a firestik fiberglass antenna. Its really a great antenna and Nestor is a smart guy and knows what hes doing. He cuts down the 3' firestik to 2' and adds a spring and the correct stud to screw into the tacoma. Took 30 seconds to install.
I had the same antenna by Nestor on my FJ and I really liked it. I've thought about getting one for my tacoma now as well. All of the parts were powder coated black and it was very clean looking too.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #314
StanBo is on a distinguished road

Name: Stan
StanBo's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to StanBo
I just ordered the Nestor firestick. Lost my oem to an automatic car wash.

Can't wait to get my fm back. I was runnung it thru my shuffle and the aux port.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #315
Thieu is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Thieu's Tacoma Gallery
S2000 antenna fom previous car hacked up to fit. Reception is perfect.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #316
gjtacoma is on a distinguished road
gjtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just installed my antennaX as well. I used a dab of threadlock on all the threads and I had issues with it cutting out. I removed it again shortly thereafter and cleaned all the threadlock off with acetone and carefully reassembled the antenna. I noticed that there is another threaded piece that connects the actual antenna to the base part that screws into your truck. I screwed in the part that goes into the truck into the base part all the way and then threaded the second allthread rod on top of that to ensure all the threads were fully engaged on both allthreaded rods. This eliminated my cutting out and now I havent noticed a difference from stock reception wise.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #317
Pitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPitchfork311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Trick
Pitchfork311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtacoma View Post
Just installed my antennaX as well. I used a dab of threadlock on all the threads and I had issues with it cutting out. I removed it again shortly thereafter and cleaned all the threadlock off with acetone and carefully reassembled the antenna. I noticed that there is another threaded piece that connects the actual antenna to the base part that screws into your truck. I screwed in the part that goes into the truck into the base part all the way and then threaded the second allthread rod on top of that to ensure all the threads were fully engaged on both allthreaded rods. This eliminated my cutting out and now I havent noticed a difference from stock reception wise.
Good idea with the threadlock, too bad it caused issues, or I would have taken your idea
Old 05-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #318
gjtacoma is on a distinguished road
gjtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good idea with the threadlock, too bad it caused issues, or I would have taken your idea
I cant say for sure that it was the threadlock or how I assembled it. Just put a dab of blue threadlock at the top of the threads so it doesn't spread everywhere and see how your connection is. If it suffers then just clean it off.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #319
Phil5393 has a spectacular aura aboutPhil5393 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Phil
Phil5393's Tacoma Gallery
I need to get a shorter antenna does anyone have any suggestions to a good one that i wont get bad reception? Every time i pull into my garage the antenna hits the door
Old 05-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #320
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
Phil5393>>>

Dude, there are quality suggestions contained in the body of the thread....as far as reception goes, I am sure the antenna experts will generally agree, go to a shorter/smaller antenna, especially real short, and your reception will degrade....short antennas have been around for years, yes, there have been some improvements, but bottom line, depending on where you live, they have less performance...

With that in mind, if you get a stubby make sure it is at least 12/13" long, AntennaX has been mentioned several times...

If you want the 'look', but can put up with less than stellar reception, then any stubby will do as reception will kinda suck except for the strongest stations...again, a superior product may work better than another, but the basic rules of reception apply, the bigger (read, longer) antennas get better reception...

Best way to describe this, you don't see a ham operator using a stubby to broadcast, generally they have long whip antennas...same antenna's are also needed for good broadcast reception...

Try the cutdown on your stocker first...

Good luck...

Products Discussed in this Thread