Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What antenna do you have on your Tacoma?

View Poll Results: What size antenna is on your Tacoma?
Stock 1,036 69.62%
Aftermarket, 24" or over 15 1.01%
Aftermarket, between 12" and 24" 187 12.57%
Aftermarket, 12" or less 250 16.80%
Voters: 1488. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #321
ffbartlett is on a distinguished road

ffbartlett's Tacoma Gallery
craven speed stubby antenna
Old 05-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #322
AntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to behold

AntennaX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
Phil5393>>>

Dude, there are quality suggestions contained in the body of the thread....as far as reception goes, I am sure the antenna experts will generally agree, go to a shorter/smaller antenna, especially real short, and your reception will degrade....short antennas have been around for years, yes, there have been some improvements, but bottom line, depending on where you live, they have less performance...

With that in mind, if you get a stubby make sure it is at least 12/13" long, AntennaX has been mentioned several times...

If you want the 'look', but can put up with less than stellar reception, then any stubby will do as reception will kinda suck except for the strongest stations...again, a superior product may work better than another, but the basic rules of reception apply, the bigger (read, longer) antennas get better reception...

Best way to describe this, you don't see a ham operator using a stubby to broadcast, generally they have long whip antennas...same antenna's are also needed for good broadcast reception...

Try the cutdown on your stocker first...

Good luck...
yes, we dont sell anything under 13 inches as reception drops off dramatically. anything smaller, save your money, go without a antenna as the reception will be the same
Old 05-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #323
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Just got my Cravenspeed stubby and the reception absolutely blows. Works about as good as NO antenna (which is what I've had for over a year now).
Good thing the radio is always on XM...
Old 05-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #324
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Stock antenna. I use the radio maybe once every year or so. I can use my stereo with my iPhone or a flash drive, no need for subpar audio and music I'm not into.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #325
Goose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud of
Goose8651's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntennaX View Post
yes, we dont sell anything under 13 inches as reception drops off dramatically. anything smaller, save your money, go without a antenna as the reception will be the same

I think it needs to be more than 14" because my stubby was terrible. Switched back to stock because I had so many fading issues. Kind if wish I never bought anything for it and had done more research, along with the LEDs and tonneau cover, since I have not had the best of luck so far on products from TW. Guess you live and learn.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #326
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
like I've said in my older post, stock Scion Tc antenna with little modification. plus it's free if you find one haha. reception is still going strong for me.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #327
Papa K is on a distinguished road

Papa K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
like I've said in my older post, stock Scion Tc antenna with little modification. plus it's free if you find one haha. reception is still going strong for me.

I like this idea. Wife has the Tc - wonder if she would notice....er...yeah she would! Need to hit the local JY. Might get lucky
Old 05-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #328
Never Satisfied
KingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
KingKoda's Tacoma Gallery
I kept the antenna stock. Helps me to know if the parking deck roof is getting too low.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #329
War Eagle!!
aubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
aubi1414's Tacoma Gallery
Went w a stubby off ebay that had TRD on the side of it. It sucked!!! Threw it away and went w/ Antenna X billet!! LOVE IT!!! Looks awesome too
Old 05-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #330
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Stock antenna cut to 12". Used my Dremel tool to cut the ball off the top, cut the antenna, epoxied the ball back on, and painted it matte black. Reception didn't seem any different but I rarely listen to the radio so I don't know what it's like outside the city. I either use XM when they send me the $25 six month offer, Pandora, or one of the thousands of songs on my sd card in my phone.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #331
NickJC515 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: C-17 Loadmaster
Name: Nick
NickJC515's Tacoma Gallery
Just tried my new antenna I got from Cravenspeed. What a piece of junk. It would only pick up 6 channels and those were horrible. Looks like I'm going to try AntennaX. Fingers crossed its better.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #332
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickJC515 View Post
Just tried my new antenna I got from Cravenspeed. What a piece of junk. It would only pick up 6 channels and those were horrible. Looks like I'm going to try AntennaX. Fingers crossed its better.
Just out of curiosity, why not just cut your factory antenna to whatever length that you like? I cut mine down to 12" and just epoxied the ball back on top. Doesn't cost a dime other than some matte black paint. I don't listen to FM hardly at all but all of my stations that I have programmed came in clear while around town. Now I can't tell you what they are like once you get some distance outside the city but I would imagine it would be pretty much the same with most any shorter antenna.

Here is what mine looks like

*EDIT* I also removed the anti-whistle wire that surrounds the antenna for a cleaner look.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:14 AM   #333
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubi1414 View Post
Went w a stubby off ebay that had TRD on the side of it. It sucked!!! Threw it away and went w/ Antenna X billet!! LOVE IT!!! Looks awesome too
WTF?! You threw it away?! There is probably a bunch of people that would of bought that off you. Including myself, if I had the spare cash laying around.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #335
City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet
ChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ChiveOn's Tacoma Gallery
Stock, I love the scrapping sound it makes when I'm in a parkade lol
Old 05-23-2013, 12:40 AM   #337
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Tacoma View Post
Stock, but I chopped about 6 inches of the top, pulled the ball tip off and put in on the remaining antenna length.
Think I'm going to do this. Yesterday, took off my shorty cause it was faded pretty good, when I took it off the threads where rusted pretty bad. P.O.S.. so I put my stock back on for now.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:15 AM   #338
aj hank is on a distinguished road

Name: AJ
aj hank's Tacoma Gallery
Ordered a cravenspeed the other day..I've heard mixed reviews but I don't listen to the radio much anyway, got it more for the looks/so it doesn't flop all around in the car wash
Old 05-23-2013, 01:34 AM   #339
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj hank View Post
Ordered a cravenspeed the other day..I've heard mixed reviews but I don't listen to the radio much anyway, got it more for the looks/so it doesn't flop all around in the car wash
Same here... the reception is horrid, but I never listen to local radio anyway. It's basically to fill the hole left by the oem antenna I took off over a year ago. At $20 - intl shipping and %15 restocking fee keeping it costs me nearly the same as not.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:49 AM   #340
eaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud of

Army: SPC
Name: Cory
eaglesfn5402's Tacoma Gallery
i cut 13 inches off mine, didnt bother with the ball. going to eventually get one of those rubber tips and just push it down on the end. for now i just spray painted the tip to cover the metal. when i first put the antenna back on i got no reception at all and i was like "wtf? great now i have no local radio." i got up to go to work the next morning turned the truck on and the radio worked fine.

Products Discussed in this Thread