Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

red front brake calipers

Old 01-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
blackpearl11 is on a distinguished road
blackpearl11's Tacoma Gallery
red front brake calipers

Hey, does anybody know where you can buy red brake calipers for a 2nd gen tacoma. I would really like to get a big brake kit but it would be fine if I could just find someone who sells the calipers. I looked on trd.com and they dont make the big brake kit for a regular tacoma. It has to be an X runner. I also went to brembo.com and it was the same deal except they dont even make a kit for the x runner. I dont want to paint the calipers that are on my truck because I think that that it looks sort of cheap and ricey. Thanks guys.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
focotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

focotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Check these out their expensive but cool

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perf...Big_Brake_Kits
Old 01-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by focotacoma View Post

Wow. those are sweet, and expensive. lol. Thanks for the site. how much does the average big brake kit run for compared to these?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
RockRescue is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
RockRescue's Tacoma Gallery
so wait if you paint them it looks ricey ? but if you buy them it looks good ok i understand now
Old 01-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
focotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

focotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpearl11 View Post
Wow. those are sweet, and expensive. lol. Thanks for the site. how much does the average big brake kit run for compared to these?
Thats pretty average unfortunately
Old 01-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRescue View Post
so wait if you paint them it looks ricey ? but if you buy them it looks good ok i understand now
Yeah...I had to read that a bunch times too. If you do a good job with the paint it's really not any different from a replacement caliper...cept it's cheaper by a fair shot.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old 01-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Rotara makes a kit as well.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x2 lol. But hey, if someone has 3 grand to waste...so be it
Old 01-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
Quote:
yes. it looks ricey for a few reasons. first, im not a professional painter so i would not be able to get the kind of finish I want. second, the calipers that you buy are usually smoother than the ones that come from the factory. look at the difference with these pictures
Attached Thumbnails
red front brake calipers-imgres-1.jpeg   red front brake calipers-imgres-3.jpeg  
Old 01-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Just leave them black.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #12
AI Surf Fisher has much to be proud ofAI Surf Fisher has much to be proud ofAI Surf Fisher has much to be proud ofAI Surf Fisher has much to be proud ofAI Surf Fisher has much to be proud ofAI Surf Fisher has much to be proud ofAI Surf Fisher has much to be proud ofAI Surf Fisher has much to be proud ofAI Surf Fisher has much to be proud ofAI Surf Fisher has much to be proud of

Name: Richard
AI Surf Fisher's Tacoma Gallery
Ricey ?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
Bobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Bobber Bill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Yeah...I had to read that a bunch times too. If you do a good job with the paint it's really not any different from a replacement caliper...cept it's cheaper by a fair shot.
I think what he's trying to say is, "don't fake the funk."

Get aftermarket calipers (which stop better, usually MUCH better), don't try to make your stock calipers look like racing calipers by painting them.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

xxaarraa's Tacoma Gallery
Why would anyone want a BBK upgrade on a 4000 lb truck that makes 236 HP? This isn't a porche, it's a pickup truck.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #15
I should not have used the word ricey. thats not really what I meant. I just think painted factory calipers look cheap and sort of rough. If I have red calipers I would like them to be red from the manufacturer.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #16
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
Why would anyone want a BBK upgrade on a 4000 lb truck that makes 236 HP? This isn't a porche, it's a pickup truck.
Even worse is getting the upgrade just to have red calipers.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #17
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

xxaarraa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by focotacoma View Post

They sell $3k BBKs for 5 lug Tacomas!! hahahaha, even better, a brake upgrade for 150 hp.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #18
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Surf Fisher View Post
Ricey ?
means cheap looking
Old 01-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #19
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
$3k just for factory red calipers without any interest in the stopping power added by the aftermarket part is absolutely ridiculous... just sayin
Old 01-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #20
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
I wouldnt even make the argument of the necessity of a BBK based on the direct relation to just HP. Imo, Big Brake Kits are really only needed for guys who are overheating their stock setup because of repeated braking under high speed/load. So yea, a porsche guy who does DE events might need it (I only say might b/c even most stock brake setups on porsches can handle DE events driven by beginner/intermediate drivers....pad choice on the other hand...)
This is where you'll see decreased braking distances, not during cold braking. You're better off pairing a proper brake pad w/ some nice fresh fluid for street driving.
Anyway, yea, just paint them or take them to a body shop and have them do the paint if you dont like OTC/DIY paint jobs.