Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

serious engine trouble, loud engine rough idle...HELP!

Old 01-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
PVT Clark is on a distinguished road
Army: firefighter, private first class (E3), 463rd engineering detachment
Name: chase
PVT Clark's Tacoma Gallery
serious engine trouble, loud engine rough idle...HELP!

2007 toyota tacoma 4x4 4.0L with 120,000 miles.i have a cel code p0022 (a code related to timing issues i believe) and the engine is running very rough with loud mechanical noise coming from the engine. recently i went mudding and sucked water into my intake which caused the truck to die on site at the mudpit, but i was able to get it to start soon afterwords but the engine ran very sluggish. i changed the oil twice to get all the watery oil out, cleaned my intake, cleaned the throttle body, and ran seafoam through the engine. the engine ran fine for about 10 miles of neighborhood driving and had a normal idle, but when i got onto a major highway, the motor wouldnt go past 60 and began to deteriorate in efficiency very very quickly....engine started making a large clacking noise consistent with a rapidly flashing low oil light in the cab. is my oil pump out? is my timing off? i have no clue. please help!
Old 01-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
im not sure what that sounds like...it just sound like the engine is not lubricated and doesnt have any oil in it. but i know i filled it correctly...
Old 01-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
it also dies sometimes when in drive or reverse. is the timing off you think? i mean thats obviously waht the code says haha but those things can get triggered by different things. i also had a random misfire and another timing code before but they went away.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Change your plugs.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
JEA86 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeremy
JEA86's Tacoma Gallery
did the motor go into limp mode? or did the Camshaft Position sensor somehow get fried?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
what is limp mode? and it might have im not sure how i would have done that though. i got alot of water into the intake...like i saw water running out of the cold air intake tube. but i drove it home, maybe 10 miles, and that was it. i didnt drive it again till i changed the oil and changed everything. could the plugs have gotten screwed up and now its just misfiring very badly? im not getting any misfire codes...
Old 01-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVT Clark View Post
2007 toyota tacoma 4x4 4.0L with 120,000 miles.i have a cel code p0022 (a code related to timing issues i believe) and the engine is running very rough with loud mechanical noise coming from the engine. recently i went mudding and sucked water into my intake which caused the truck to die on site at the mudpit, but i was able to get it to start soon afterwords but the engine ran very sluggish. i changed the oil twice to get all the watery oil out, cleaned my intake, cleaned the throttle body, and ran seafoam through the engine. the engine ran fine for about 10 miles of neighborhood driving and had a normal idle, but when i got onto a major highway, the motor wouldnt go past 60 and began to deteriorate in efficiency very very quickly....engine started making a large clacking noise consistent with a rapidly flashing low oil light in the cab. is my oil pump out? is my timing off? i have no clue. please help!
You are most likely in need of new engine...
Old 01-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
I second this. Drain the oil and see what kind of milk shake you get.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
im not sure what that sounds like...it just sound like the engine is not lubricated and doesnt have any oil in it. but i know i filled it correctly...
oh my........
Quote:
thats what im thinking
Quote:
what is limp mode? and it might have im not sure how i would have done that though. i got alot of water into the intake...like i saw water running out of the cold air intake tube. but i drove it home, maybe 10 miles, and that was it. i didnt drive it again till i changed the oil and changed everything. could the plugs have gotten screwed up and now its just misfiring very badly? im not getting any misfire codes...
op,why would you want to drive your truck anywhere let alone restart it after you sucked in all that water in the engine????????you should of had it towed to a dry place and did your changing of the fluids.i guess for you its live and learn.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
op,why would you want to drive your truck anywhere let alone restart it after you sucked in all that water in the engine????????you should of had it towed to a dry place and did your changing of the fluids.i guess for you its live and learn.
x2
OP made string of big mistakes.

OP
None of us is in position to tell you what exactly is wrong since we have no access to the truck. From description it sounds like there are multiple failures, with your limited understanding quickest route is to start looking for engine replacement.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x2
OP made string of big mistakes.

OP
None of us is in position to tell you what exactly is wrong since we have no access to the truck. From description it sounds like there are multiple failures, with your limited understanding quickest route is to start looking for engine replacement.
X2, and from the sounds of it, also a reputable shop to do the work.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
If it ingested water it most likely bent a connecting rod at least or even sheared it off and the remains are clattering around in the engine. A compression check will tell you a lot and after that drop the pan and have a look.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
What he said ^
Do a compression check on each cylinder I think it's supposed to be 120 psi? Correct me people.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
If it ingested water it most likely bent a connecting rod at least or even sheared it off and the remains are clattering around in the engine. A compression check will tell you a lot and after that drop the pan and have a look.
X2

I bet you partialy hydrolocked your motor at the mud hole..and it was only time before a catastrophic failure to happen
Old 01-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #15
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I'd drill a small hole at the bottom rear of the muffler to get any water out of the exhaust.

So, the engine runs? I'd be disconnecting electrical connections then clean and dry them out.

Maybe a fried ignition coil; unplug one coil at a time then start engine. If it runs worse it's not that coil. Test all 4.

I bet it's electrical but perhaps an engine compression test would tell alot.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #16
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Compression check will tell you all you need to know it really does not matter as to what it should be just that one or more is way low compared to the others. A bent rod will lower the compression a lot a broken rod will come in at zero. This may explain the cam sensor reading retarded if it stopped fast enough to jamb the VVT tensioner.