1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear locker use.......

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Casper3225, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Jan 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    JoeTacoma02

JoeTacoma02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grey wire mod, right? I know it can be done with 1st gens but didn't know there was one for 2nd gens :eek: not that I'll ever do/need it done.

2. Jan 3, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    it's a legitimate question but often enough the replies are wrong or just based on opinion and not fact..this particular thread pretty much was pretty much good with everyone giving the right answers for once. at least DK hasn't chimed in with his ATRAC > LOCKERS rhetoric........ yet:rolleyes:

3. Jan 3, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    BlueTaco07

BlueTaco07 Super Mod!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Panama city, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Looking
    I use mine all the time going through ruts and what not. Just treat it like a 4x4 and completely stop before engageing. The ABS and Rear lock light will come on if it is solid your diff is locked if the little red truck is flashing slowly go forward (SLOW) intill it goes completely solid, you'll also hear a click in the rear diff. Have fun with it just use it on offroad terrain only. I run through sand with it going 30 mph+ and mud. Just know turning is differnt so do it cautiously and dont do it on normal pavement. To disengage just hit the button again at a full stop and both lights mentioned should go off, with another click from the rear as well then your disenegaged and good to go.

4. Jan 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Give it time.

5. Jan 3, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    at DK's house hahahhaha....

6. Jan 3, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    Thundjet

Thundjet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012, V6, Sport TRD, Auto, 4 wd

How can your friends truck run 70 mph in low range?

7. Jan 3, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    there is a mod that will let you have the locker engaged while in 4H

8. Jan 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:

I remembered reading this before I took my sticker off. After reading all of the replies, it seems that it is OK to go faster. I remembered having the same instructions that went in my visor on my 1st Gen also...

[​IMG]

9. Jan 3, 2012 at 11:12 PM
    gotrdwoohoo

gotrdwoohoo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bordon
    KY
    Vehicle:
    2007 X-Runner and...looking for more!
    - learn'n and look'n and play'n. Recently retired and thinkin about what to do to my X-Runner

Ahh, the sound of attorney's more cover your ass banter

10. Jan 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I don't know about that. Nine times out of ten, my locker won't engage unless I'm moving a little. Ditto for turning it off.

11. Jan 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    My 2008 Pre-Runner, I did about 80mph with the locker engaged... worked fine. Just say'n.

I really need to rewire my '10 4x4 lol...

12. Jan 31, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    HAWAIICALIVEGAZ

HAWAIICALIVEGAZ Desert Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    SHANE
    LAS VEGAS NV
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Pre Runner
    Dr Coilovers; Camburg UCAs; Sway bar Relocation block; Deaver J66 Leafs; ProComp extended travel rear shocks 6K HIDs & 13" antenna
    One question.. Does rompin' around through the desert at medium to high speeds constitute an emergency situation? :D Cause that would be one of the times i'd wanna have it engaged! :p

13. Jan 31, 2012 at 2:22 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    NO!

an emergency situation is dictated solely by the placard that is on your driver door and visor. And it says very clearly ...

Use only to free your stuck vehicle in an emergency escape from the muddy road

Do we need David K to explain all this again :rolleyes:

So according to Toyota, we can only use the locker to escape from muddy roads...but only in an emergency situation....what exactly dictates an emergency situation?:p

14. Jan 31, 2012 at 2:35 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Fords with rear lockers will automatically disengage the locker at speeds above 20-30kph. And re engage it below that speed.

15. Jan 31, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    The first time I ever swapped out my 3rd I forgot to disengage the locker before I stuck the elocker motor back in. I didnt have time to tear the motor out so i left it like that till the next morning. I drove home from my work which is about 8 miles then I visited a family member who was in the hospital, I drove approx 10 miles round trip on the freeway while locked. Had no problems other then some chirping from the tires when I was pulling in or out from a parking spot.

16. Jan 31, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    lol but then my third blew up!

JK

Engaging the elocker above 5mph could potentially damage the locking collar. Running it at high speeds makes handling different from normal so Toyota says never exceed 5. You won't hurt your locker no matter the speed if it's engaged.

DK doesn't know shit.

17. Jan 31, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    I always find it funny how some people say don't use lockers/4LO on pavement and such. Some people make it sound like everything will implode it you do. Anyone ever been to Moab? Yes 4LO with front and rear lockers on and turning the wheels as sharp as possible on slick rock. And on the Baja 1000 they use lockers at 100+ MPH.

The main thing is to listen to you truck. If its not liking what your doing it will tell you.

18. Feb 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC TRD Sport
    I had a friend with souped up early 70s Mustang equipped with a Detroit auto-locker. He let me drive it a few times, and let me just say that cornering was very often quite exciting.

One time I forgot to unlock the rear diffs on my dumptruck. I had locked them to get unstuck from the muddy yard I had just dumped in. I got back onto the driveway, accelerated a bit, and was completely unable to steer the truck around a bend in the driveway. Tore up the yard getting out of that, too. Dude's wife was pissed, but hell the landscapers were already there.

Point is, don't use the locker if you're stupid. Like me. :D

19. Feb 1, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Scrounge away. I used to drive my jeep in 4high / 4low on assphalt all the time. And drove many a mile in moab on the slick rock never had a problem.

Is the toyota front end that weak? I know the old berfields where crap.

20. Feb 1, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Well basically your front and rear axles will be bound together. They rotate at different speeds around corners just as left vs right tires do. That's why you have a differential in the axles, the spider gears walk as you corner so the tires travel at different speeds. However theres no differential at the t-case and so as you corner in 4wd the front and rear travel at different speeds something needs to give, as one shaft on each axle has to turn. Should be your tires. Bound to be hard on everything though.

While we're at it, that's the problem with running a different sized tire on one side of an axle or on an AWD car different sized tires. One tire is always turning at a different speed causing your spider gears to walk, the more they walk the more wear incurs on the thrust washers carrier and spiders. And with the AWD they have a center differential so the fronts and rears are together but when you corner you have differential action between the two axles. Which ties us back into a part time t-case compared to an AWD system and why you can't err shouldn't corner on pavement with a part time t-case without a center differential.

Products Discussed in

To Top