1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snorkel to CAI to Supercharger compatibility

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by extremachn1, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Aug 7, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    ScreamingTaco

ScreamingTaco Huge Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    Goodyear Duratracs, TRD cat-back exhaust, bed tool box, bed extender.
    Got a picture of the air intake setup?

2. Sep 30, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    Natidog

Natidog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Offroad White DCSB
    FX-R III retro Brute Force sliders Custom bed mount light bar
    A supercharger is the first big mod I'm planning on doing for my truck, but I know I will need a snorkel eventually for any major offroading here. I live in an area where the mountains stick straight up out of the swamps, so all the run off is in the trails.

Has anyone tried routing two pipes from the airbox? Let the snorkel in from the side and the regular intake from either in front of the radiator or from the wheel well? You could just get a waterproof cap or something to plug off one intake or the other for performance or snorkel and both would be run outside to cool air.

Intake_5059d550e5e052ee9f56b2a608986c45c7018166.jpg

3. Sep 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    Natidog

Natidog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Offroad White DCSB
    FX-R III retro Brute Force sliders Custom bed mount light bar
    Also, has anyone here tried running their breathers to the airbox? (Tranny, Transfer, Front diff...)

4. Oct 13, 2012 at 10:22 PM
    SpaceBalls

SpaceBalls Active Member

Member:
    Vancouver Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco trd
    3" block lift 33" BFG's AT
    I hydro locked my truck! GET THE SNORKEL! and maybe a bypass when you don't need it.

5. Feb 1, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    mr.trd

mr.trd Are you Recreationally Insane?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Icon coilovers w 14" 700lb springs, Icon billet UCA w/ Delta joints, custom built Icon rear resi-shocks, Icon stage 3 rear leaf pack, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers w/ homemade spreader bar, superbumps up front and timbren bumps in the rear, Crown brake lines, U-bolt flip,4.88's with front ARB locker and ARB dual compressor mounted behind back seat, 285/75R17 BFG A/T KO2's on Bronze Icon Alloy Compression's, 5th gen T4R budget big brake kit, CBI Off-Road Fab. custom Trailmaster 2.0 with swing-away tire carrier, CBI custom tube front bumper, CBI kickout sliders, CBI full flat belly skids including gas tank,CBI Ditch Light brackets w/ Heretic Studio Quattro's, Heretic Studio's 30" Amber on the front, Heretic Studio 40" bar under the Front Runner Roof Rack, Expedition Essentials RAM mount, Leer used shell, OEM black chrome sport headlights, fog lights always on mod, rear locker anytime mod, TRD supercharger, URD Ucon-EMS, Deatschwerks 255 fuel pump w/ URD external fuel filter kit, AFE intake paired to a Safari Snorkel, URD spec-U exhaust w/ factory Tundra muffler behind URD equal length headers.
    I am copying and pasting this from the supercharger mpg thread but want as much feedback as I can get to help me make my decision as soon as possible so that I can start paying it off as soon as possible.....

Ok, so I have a truck loaded with armor and on 295/75R16 BFG A/T KO's and am currently getting 10.1 mpg to 12.5 mpg on the highway and around 8 mpg in town. on the highway the tranny is searching all the time and will never stay in overdrive. I also have long tube headers, a custom Y-pipe and a Borla muffler on the exhaust side and a snorkel mated to a AFE intake that is completly sealed together. So I was about to order a s/c and caught wind of the the supercharger and the snorkel not liking to play together. I know I could just order gears and a front locker and maybe help my mpg's out a little but I would rather have the extra power to just stay in OD and be able to keep my RPM's down when I am on the freeway. Cause I do make some long road trips in the truck. Now I have no clue what to do. Also the reason that I was going to do the s/c is cause I am the Parts Manager at a Toyota dealership so I can get a better deal on the s/c than a set of gears. And my boss has ok'ed me to have it pulled out of paychecks this year so I can split the cost into 11 payments. So my biggest issue is, is with the snorkel is the supercharger going to be a good option or a waste of money? I have not seen any real documented proof that the supercharger and don't work well together but it is kind of an expensive test. But I also know that my mpg really can't get any worse. What are your guys's thoughts?

6. Jul 22, 2013 at 7:54 PM
    mr.trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Icon coilovers w 14" 700lb springs, Icon billet UCA w/ Delta joints, custom built Icon rear resi-shocks, Icon stage 3 rear leaf pack, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers w/ homemade spreader bar, superbumps up front and timbren bumps in the rear, Crown brake lines, U-bolt flip,4.88's with front ARB locker and ARB dual compressor mounted behind back seat, 285/75R17 BFG A/T KO2's on Bronze Icon Alloy Compression's, 5th gen T4R budget big brake kit, CBI Off-Road Fab. custom Trailmaster 2.0 with swing-away tire carrier, CBI custom tube front bumper, CBI kickout sliders, CBI full flat belly skids including gas tank,CBI Ditch Light brackets w/ Heretic Studio Quattro's, Heretic Studio's 30" Amber on the front, Heretic Studio 40" bar under the Front Runner Roof Rack, Expedition Essentials RAM mount, Leer used shell, OEM black chrome sport headlights, fog lights always on mod, rear locker anytime mod, TRD supercharger, URD Ucon-EMS, Deatschwerks 255 fuel pump w/ URD external fuel filter kit, AFE intake paired to a Safari Snorkel, URD spec-U exhaust w/ factory Tundra muffler behind URD equal length headers.
    And bump! It is now almost 6 months later and I still have not seen any sort of proof or any more talking about if the snorkel and Supercharger will work together. But I know have a 2006 Jayco Baja pop up camper and am really looking for the power of the supercharger and even have a way to pay for it now. So has anyone done any sort of test to see if the two of them will work together. I know that Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters has installed a snorkel on a supercharged Tacoma and he said that his customer has not come back to him to say that anything was wrong with the truck now. Has the OP added the snorkel to the truck yet? Your thoughts, has Delmarva done his dyno run with and without the snorkel? Hopefully this will bring this thread back to life. And thank you in advance for any research that may have been done and just not reported on yet.

7. Jul 23, 2013 at 4:03 AM
    Janusz

Janusz Member

Member:
    I am building truck for racing right now. It will have new Hilux body (European) but the frame and engine with TRD supercharger is from Tacoma.

Racing conditions in my coutry force me to use snorkel - so I plan to put snorkel like those that are used in Dakar Hiluxes:

like this:
    http://www.forumsamochodowe.pl/gale...13-zespol-malysz-marton-11-p13231.htm#zdjecie

those Dakar Trucks uses 4.6 V8 - 340HP engines, so I hope that the air flow will be also sufficient for 4.0 V6 with sc.

8. Jul 23, 2013 at 4:30 AM
    mipawlus

mipawlus #332 Veteran Overland, #159 TTC, #69 in your heart

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Poopypants
    Aggieland
    Vehicle:
    BROJAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    Rust and dents and squeaks
    Faux snork and URD supercharger! haha, dilemma solved :D

On a serious note, i am pretty curious myself, there is a creek that i have to cross to get to my deer killing grounds and i don't like taking the tractor. too cold during deer season.

also, as a parts manager, does the URD SC void the warranty? i might not NEED the 422 hp, but it'd sure be nice to have....

9. Jul 23, 2013 at 4:40 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Nothing voids the warranty automatically....but if the dealer can trace the failure you want warranted to the aftermarket part, they may not cover it.

10. Jul 23, 2013 at 6:09 AM
    mipawlus

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Poopypants
    Aggieland
    Vehicle:
    BROJAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    That's good to know! Now to wait for the 2013 URD s/c haha.

11. Jul 30, 2013 at 7:55 PM
    mr.trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Brunes is correct. A lot of it is between the relationship you have with the service department and how serious the problem is that "might" be a warranty. If you were to hydro lock the motor and you had a aftermarket open intake and they know the water would have never gotten in the system with a factory intake and you tried to play the "fix it cause the only time I ever see you is with a problem and I am a badass" card. It probably won't get fixed. But if you go to the dealer for normal services, or for warranty work and are nice and courteous to them and they know the truck and have a history of you in the system there is a good chance that they would be able to help you out in some fashion. Probably not full warranty on that exact scenario because that would be fraud if they lied to Toyota and could get in some serious trouble. But I know as a dealer, we help when we can. The hydro locked motor is a pretty cut and dry case since Toyota has put so much r&d into that not happening if you drive the truck the way they built it to be driven.

Oh and my s/c will be here in the morning and be installed this Saturday. So we will find out soon enough about the snorkel to intake to s/c compatibility! Really don't want to run the intake with the lid off cause it is way to damn loud! I want quiet with a whine.

12. Jul 30, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    I am S/C'd and have a snorkel... they seem to play just fine together... :)

13. Jul 30, 2013 at 9:31 PM
    mr.trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Woot woot. I like the sound of that. I didn't think that there would be a problem or there would have been a lot more talk about it. This thread was all but dead.

14. Jul 31, 2013 at 5:46 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Ya just saw the life again on here and wanted to respond. SC runs great on mine... I also have a 2.8" pulley and gator belt on mine. You'll enjoy the extra power... I certainly do :D

15. Aug 5, 2013 at 11:22 AM
    mr.trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Alright, well it is on and it does not work. LOL that is just to confuse the people that only read one sentence and think they found the gospel online. So it does not work BECAUSE I have a pinched snorkel tube......but I know I have a great sealed system, because just revving it up the AFE airbox collapses in on itself. So I took the lid off and holy shit does it run! Love the power. Put the lid back on and pulled the red plug at the bottom of AFE airbox I had sealed in place and it runs great. So I need to take the snorkel off and do some more modding to the connection of the snorkel to the air box.......or just go back to the factory intake and run with that. But there is no reason to have a snorkel and a closed box intake to have great cold air and then just drive around with the lid off so it gets nothing but hot air from the engine bay. But yes, the supercharger makes a huge difference in power! Can't decide if I even want to go to 4.56's or not now.

16. Aug 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM
    mipawlus

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Poopypants
    Aggieland
    Vehicle:
    BROJAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    did you use the dual intake airbox design that was posted previously?

17. Aug 8, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    mr.trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    No, mine was the safari snorkel mated directly to AFE stage 2 intake box and sealed up completely. It was completely sealed.

18. Aug 8, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I run 4.56 as well... :D

DO IT.

19. Aug 8, 2013 at 2:40 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Does the "cold" air from a CAI actually make a difference, since the post-supercharged air goes through an intercooler anyway? I think the CAI improves hp when combined with a supercharger mostly because of the higher flow over the stock intake, not because it's colder.

20. Aug 8, 2013 at 3:45 PM
    mr.trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Not sure if it does or not. I just did the snorkel to intake cause it hasn't been done at the time. That I knew about anyway. And I had the option to buy it really cheap. Actually bought two and put one on my Dad's taco for him too. I am going to pull the snorkel this weekend and see if I have a pinched line anywhere. As cooling the air in the intercooler. If you start lower your overall temp will be lower. So if it is cooler going in it will help it be even cooler coming out. And I have huge lights in front of the LPR so I am not sure how much cooling the intercooler can even do.

Products Discussed in

To Top