1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snorkel to CAI to Supercharger compatibility

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by extremachn1, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Jan 3, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 [OP] I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Hey guys, I am posting this here as the 2nd gen gets a ton more traffic and this tends to be more of a 2nd gen issue as far as I know. I need some help and advice from the experts.

I currently have the TRD Supercharger and AFE CAI with dry filter. I want to install a snorkel and plumb it into the CAI box. I know that physically it can be done with minimal work, Menametony has done it but he ran into issues of low boost when he did it 2 psi instead of the normal 5 psi. He found out that once he removed the lid off the CAI boost pressure returned to normal and he is currently running with the lid removed.

What I want to know is; are the snorkel's that restrictive to cause a drop in boost of that much? With that much of a drop in pressure is there a big risk of running lean which tends to lead to death for boosted engines? I need to water proof my intake better since i have already cut my inner fender and will be cutting it even more once I get my new bumpers. I have already gotten water into my intake while blitzing mud puddles but the filter/prefilter did a good job stopping it thankfully.

Lets hear what you guys think, experts chime in as both myself and Menametony would like to find an anwser to this.

Cheers guys, thanks.

planesane likes this.
  2. Jan 4, 2012 at 5:26 AM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Bump, anyone???

3. Jan 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Really, no one has an opinion of idea. Thats kind of suprising.

4. Jan 4, 2012 at 9:00 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Two things:

- Snorkle restriction is possible...the plumbing goes through some tight bends.
    - I don't trust the CAI box to be watertight if you get into some shit where the snorkel is necessary to prevent a hydrolock.

5. Jan 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    IMO, you're forcing your engine to breath through a straw. Without the snorkel, you're pulling air from the fender; a relatively short distance from the throttle body. You add a snorkel, and you double, maybe triple the distance of the air path to the throttle body.

Think of it this way: imagine the difficulty of breathing through a 2 inch straw versus a 2 foot straw.

The snorkel is restrictive, and wouldn't the engine run rich,i.e., too much fuel, not enough air?

6. Jan 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    Bobber Bill

Bobber Bill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Daily Driver
    Theoretically and common sense wise, significant power loss is more than likely, it's a certainty on any application.

This guy lost 30HP/30TQ with with the snorkel hooked up to his S/C. Dyno proven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xf5nuzHmBM

planesane likes this.
  7. Jan 4, 2012 at 9:19 PM
    Bobber Bill

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Daily Driver
    You can also add to that:

- extra bends
    - extra intake tract couplings (turbulence)

8. Jan 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    :rolleyes:

In what sense? If a snorkel will give you the type of performance you need, well...

It still keeps the intake out of the dust kicked up by the tires, it keeps it high above the water. It provides cool air.

I haven't seen anyone claim that you're going to get more power with a snorkel.

9. Jan 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    You all are correct, it will run rich, not lean. My bad on that one.

I am not look for a "performance gain" or anything like that out of a snorkle, I expected to loose a little HP and MPG because of the intake turbilance and restriction, just wasnt expecting that much. I want to to use it as intended, to keep water out of my intake.

As for not trusting the CAI to keep water out, I wouldnt in stock form either, there would have to be some mods done to make it water tight.

I wonder what can be done to run a dual intake type set-up that is easily switchable, i.e. CAI when needed and snorkel when needed. I dont mind loosing 30hp when needed as I wont be running high boost to cross a stream or what not.

This one will take some more though.

You guys are awesome with all the responses. What do you guys think a solution is (not running a snorkel is the most obvious, what other than that)?

10. Jan 4, 2012 at 10:16 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    LoL.... Brilliant.

I have thought of just running without the lid like the other guy as a temporary, and in reality that dosent sound to bad.

I would eventually get a tune for the snorkel but right now there really isnt a tuner avalible for the 09+ trucks.

The snorkel would actually take the place of where the stock intake would go so having 2 seperate intake locations isnt really an idea as I dont have that much room under the hood to re-route the intake to a new location.

What would be nice is to have some sort of Y intake before the CAI with some sort of butterfly valve to shut off the CAI and force the supercharger to suck from the snorkel. But that is getting very complicated in both the application, actuation, and sealing it properly.

11. Jan 4, 2012 at 10:22 PM
    Bobber Bill

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Daily Driver
    There are all sorts of ways to make 2 intake sources easily switchable. You can cut another hole in the box and run a second tube for the snorkel, then cap off the hole for the regular intake. There are also bypass/cut-out type valves out there that you can plumb into one hole.

The tricky part would be making it water/air tight. Realistically I think you may have to spend a few minutes to switch between the two.

12. Jan 12, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    Couldn't you use a deck plate on the snorkel/cai intake to open up a big section when necessary or keep it watertight? Am I missing something?

13. Feb 22, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

Is he running the washer in his?

Some of the SS135mod's are shipped with a large washer and the Safari directions tell you to install it on top of the snorkel before the air head is installed. That washer is meant for a diesel Hilux and should be thrown away.

Virgil was the first guy I know to run a snork and supercharger. His truck has been sold for a while now, but maybe he can help you. He isn't online much but it's worth a try to send him a PM. virgilus11

14. Feb 24, 2012 at 4:32 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    :spy:

I am scheduling a dyno run w/snorkel and w/o snorkel to see what the effect is on the truck...... will update when I get it done. :D

15. Feb 24, 2012 at 4:41 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

haha...I should of just sent you a PM :)

16. Feb 24, 2012 at 4:45 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    No worries - I've been wondering about how the snork affects the s/c lately... I feel like it's pretty restricted and not performing to its true potential with the snork. The 4.56s help (both in "feel" and in killing MPG - :laugh:)...

I can't imagine what this truck can do with the 4.56s and an unrestricted intake so that's why it's the next project that I'm going to tackle. :D

17. Feb 24, 2012 at 5:02 AM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yes, please do. I havent really found any acceptable substitute so i am curious what your results will be! What S/C are you running? stock or more done to it? details please!

18. Feb 24, 2012 at 5:11 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    it's the Stock TRD S/C

19. Feb 24, 2012 at 6:34 AM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yea, only addition is I am running the URD underdrive pulley so I suck a little more air.

20. Feb 24, 2012 at 6:51 AM
    Sport11

Sport11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kingsport, TN
    Vehicle:
    Dodge Ram 1500
    I might not have payed enough attention but it looks like the guy in the video is making a comparison of running a snorkel with a filter vs no filter at all. That is where most of the power difference is coming from. imagine trying to breath with a thick winter blanket over your mouth vs nothing over your mouth.

planesane likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top