LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Snorkel to CAI to Supercharger compatibility

Old 01-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
Snorkel to CAI to Supercharger compatibility

Hey guys, I am posting this here as the 2nd gen gets a ton more traffic and this tends to be more of a 2nd gen issue as far as I know. I need some help and advice from the experts.

I currently have the TRD Supercharger and AFE CAI with dry filter. I want to install a snorkel and plumb it into the CAI box. I know that physically it can be done with minimal work, Menametony has done it but he ran into issues of low boost when he did it 2 psi instead of the normal 5 psi. He found out that once he removed the lid off the CAI boost pressure returned to normal and he is currently running with the lid removed.

What I want to know is; are the snorkel's that restrictive to cause a drop in boost of that much? With that much of a drop in pressure is there a big risk of running lean which tends to lead to death for boosted engines? I need to water proof my intake better since i have already cut my inner fender and will be cutting it even more once I get my new bumpers. I have already gotten water into my intake while blitzing mud puddles but the filter/prefilter did a good job stopping it thankfully.

Lets hear what you guys think, experts chime in as both myself and Menametony would like to find an anwser to this.

Cheers guys, thanks.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Bump, anyone???
Old 01-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Really, no one has an opinion of idea. Thats kind of suprising.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Did that one guy use flex hose at any point? Also an air restriction would cause a rich condition not a lean condition.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Two things:

- Snorkle restriction is possible...the plumbing goes through some tight bends.
- I don't trust the CAI box to be watertight if you get into some shit where the snorkel is necessary to prevent a hydrolock.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
IMO, you're forcing your engine to breath through a straw. Without the snorkel, you're pulling air from the fender; a relatively short distance from the throttle body. You add a snorkel, and you double, maybe triple the distance of the air path to the throttle body.

Think of it this way: imagine the difficulty of breathing through a 2 inch straw versus a 2 foot straw.

The snorkel is restrictive, and wouldn't the engine run rich,i.e., too much fuel, not enough air?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Bobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Bobber Bill's Tacoma Gallery
Theoretically and common sense wise, significant power loss is more than likely, it's a certainty on any application.

This guy lost 30HP/30TQ with with the snorkel hooked up to his S/C. Dyno proven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xf5nuzHmBM
Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Bobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post
IMO, you're forcing your engine to breath through a straw. Without the snorkel, you're pulling air from the fender; a relatively short distance from the throttle body. You add a snorkel, and you double, maybe triple the distance of the air path to the throttle body.

Think of it this way: imagine the difficulty of breathing through a 2 inch straw versus a 2 foot straw.

The snorkel is restrictive, and wouldn't the engine run rich,i.e., too much fuel, not enough air?
You can also add to that:

- extra bends
- extra intake tract couplings (turbulence)
Old 01-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist View Post
Thanks for posting.........whoever said the snorkel was a preformance mod was full of shit.

In what sense? If a snorkel will give you the type of performance you need, well...

It still keeps the intake out of the dust kicked up by the tires, it keeps it high above the water. It provides cool air.

I haven't seen anyone claim that you're going to get more power with a snorkel.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
You all are correct, it will run rich, not lean. My bad on that one.

I am not look for a "performance gain" or anything like that out of a snorkle, I expected to loose a little HP and MPG because of the intake turbilance and restriction, just wasnt expecting that much. I want to to use it as intended, to keep water out of my intake.

As for not trusting the CAI to keep water out, I wouldnt in stock form either, there would have to be some mods done to make it water tight.

I wonder what can be done to run a dual intake type set-up that is easily switchable, i.e. CAI when needed and snorkel when needed. I dont mind loosing 30hp when needed as I wont be running high boost to cross a stream or what not.

This one will take some more though.

You guys are awesome with all the responses. What do you guys think a solution is (not running a snorkel is the most obvious, what other than that)?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Maybe cut another hole in the inner fender. Use the stock location for the CIA then the new hole for snorkel use. You will need some sort of filter. AFE, K&N and UNP make canister type filters.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #12
Banned
Quote:
For a dual intake setup just unscrew the cover until you go wheeling like the other dude did.
Then you have a hot air intake. No need for a hotter intake charge since the supercharger already heats the air.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Then he'll have something in common with my mother in-law?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
Quote:
Then he'll have something in common with my mother in-law?
LoL.... Brilliant.

I have thought of just running without the lid like the other guy as a temporary, and in reality that dosent sound to bad.

I would eventually get a tune for the snorkel but right now there really isnt a tuner avalible for the 09+ trucks.

The snorkel would actually take the place of where the stock intake would go so having 2 seperate intake locations isnt really an idea as I dont have that much room under the hood to re-route the intake to a new location.

What would be nice is to have some sort of Y intake before the CAI with some sort of butterfly valve to shut off the CAI and force the supercharger to suck from the snorkel. But that is getting very complicated in both the application, actuation, and sealing it properly.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
I wonder what can be done to run a dual intake type set-up that is easily switchable, i.e. CAI when needed and snorkel when needed. I dont mind loosing 30hp when needed as I wont be running high boost to cross a stream or what not.
There are all sorts of ways to make 2 intake sources easily switchable. You can cut another hole in the box and run a second tube for the snorkel, then cap off the hole for the regular intake. There are also bypass/cut-out type valves out there that you can plumb into one hole.

The tricky part would be making it water/air tight. Realistically I think you may have to spend a few minutes to switch between the two.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #16
Be back Summer of 2014
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Couldn't you use a deck plate on the snorkel/cai intake to open up a big section when necessary or keep it watertight? Am I missing something?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
Hey guys, I am posting this here as the 2nd gen gets a ton more traffic and this tends to be more of a 2nd gen issue as far as I know. I need some help and advice from the experts.

I currently have the TRD Supercharger and AFE CAI with dry filter. I want to install a snorkel and plumb it into the CAI box. I know that physically it can be done with minimal work, Menametony has done it but he ran into issues of low boost when he did it 2 psi instead of the normal 5 psi. He found out that once he removed the lid off the CAI boost pressure returned to normal and he is currently running with the lid removed.

What I want to know is; are the snorkel's that restrictive to cause a drop in boost of that much? With that much of a drop in pressure is there a big risk of running lean which tends to lead to death for boosted engines? I need to water proof my intake better since i have already cut my inner fender and will be cutting it even more once I get my new bumpers. I have already gotten water into my intake while blitzing mud puddles but the filter/prefilter did a good job stopping it thankfully.

Lets hear what you guys think, experts chime in as both myself and Menametony would like to find an anwser to this.

Cheers guys, thanks.

Is he running the washer in his?

Some of the SS135mod's are shipped with a large washer and the Safari directions tell you to install it on top of the snorkel before the air head is installed. That washer is meant for a diesel Hilux and should be thrown away.

Virgil was the first guy I know to run a snork and supercharger. His truck has been sold for a while now, but maybe he can help you. He isn't online much but it's worth a try to send him a PM. virgilus11
Old 02-24-2012, 04:32 AM   #18
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Is he running the washer in his?

Some of the SS135mod's are shipped with a large washer and the Safari directions tell you to install it on top of the snorkel before the air head is installed. That washer is meant for a diesel Hilux and should be thrown away.

Virgil was the first guy I know to run a snork and supercharger. His truck has been sold for a while now, but maybe he can help you. He isn't online much but it's worth a try to send him a PM. virgilus11

I am scheduling a dyno run w/snorkel and w/o snorkel to see what the effect is on the truck...... will update when I get it done.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:41 AM   #19
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post

I am scheduling a dyno run w/snorkel and w/o snorkel to see what the effect is on the truck...... will update when I get it done.

haha...I should of just sent you a PM
Old 02-24-2012, 04:45 AM   #20
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
haha...I should of just sent you a PM
No worries - I've been wondering about how the snork affects the s/c lately... I feel like it's pretty restricted and not performing to its true potential with the snork. The 4.56s help (both in "feel" and in killing MPG - )...

I can't imagine what this truck can do with the 4.56s and an unrestricted intake so that's why it's the next project that I'm going to tackle.

Products Discussed in this Thread