1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No lock on glove box?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by XD40SC, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:18 PM
    XD40SC

XD40SC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Davis
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    10' PreRunner SR5 Black Sand Pearl
    I have a CWP but don't always feel the need to carry. Where in heck do all you lock up your pistol when you don't feel the need to carry or simply can't(bar, bank, concerts, etc.)?

2. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    FASTK

FASTK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    Columbus
    Vehicle:
    2010 4dr 4x4 long bed
    tx.patriot likes this.
  3. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    XD40SC

XD40SC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Davis
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    10' PreRunner SR5 Black Sand Pearl
  4. Jan 6, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    There's a locking center console mod if you search for it. You can also pull up the floor of your center console and make a false bottom.

5. Jan 6, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
  6. Jan 6, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    Center of Mass sells a metal locking box with a cable that loops around whatever you want it to or you can bolt it down. Cost about $35. I think you can get them at Sportsman's Warehouse too. You could pop it open with a screwdriver if you had the time, but it'll deter a smash and grab thief.

Given that every part of the glove box is plastic, a lock on it would be pretty worthless. If you've pulled the glove box to replace the fresh air filter you've seen how cheap it is. :(

7. Jan 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM
    BRYLONATOR

BRYLONATOR Building 06 Suburban K2500 with LBZ D-max and ZF6!

Member:
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Chillin in a 120!
    Ok....this is by no means a "we gotta have more regulations or gun control stuff" kind of comment. Although what I am about to say will sound offensive....please do not take it personally and fire some rude response back to me. My comment is this....guys like you make me scared to walk out of my door! I think that safe is pretty neat. I think the fact that you would even lock it up in the glovebox if it had a lock is great.

Now.....do any of you guys happen to know or are related to someone that has been hurt or killed by something like this that had been found in a car the was being robbed? I DO AND I DID.

I would rip the glove box open with the ice scraper you left on the floor of the passenger side. I would kick the $%^& out of that center console if I saw that safe! I am probably one of the most honest people on the straight and narrow and you don't think that a criminal would do the same or worse?

Again....I am all about carrying but if you are going to carry........CARRY! if you are going somewhere that prohibits it....leave it home! You may save someones life!

But the bolt in is probably the only safe option

8. Jan 6, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    Bajatacoma

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    The problem is that you can't carry everywhere so sometimes you have to lock it up. It's totally retarded that someone can be trusted to carry in one place but not other places (some animals are more equal than others). Installing a large Browning gold series safe would be nice, but it's totally impractical so you have to do the best you can.

Ultimately the only thing that's going to slow thieves down is a valid threat of swinging from the gallows if caught and you know our courts aren't going to go for that (I'm all for stringing them up myself).

9. Jan 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    ...sorry, but i do take some offense that you put blame on the law abiding citizen, ..as being somehow responsible for a criminal's illegal behavior..
    1) locking the car up means the firearm is "locked up", i.e. keep out.
    2) why should i forfeit my right while traveling in my own vehicle because the place i have to go into is a CPZ? after all, i am law-abiding, so i disarm at CPZ's where mandatory (unlike criminals)
    3) if i have to leave my firearm in the vehicle, i remove the mag, bring it and my spare mag w/ me inside the CPZ.. worst case criminal/thug who smashes/grabs will get my handgun w/ one round in the chamber (but he'd have to stick his finger up the magwell to disengage the mag disconnect safety, to fire it in that condition)..

Robsharp06coma likes this.
  10. Jan 6, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    i say keep it out of sight out of mind. thats the way i feel about it. If it is in a locked vehicle out of sight or even in one of those console vaults what more do you want. Someone giving up there right to carry because of a criminal is bull. This country was founded on protecting itself. Everyday that concept slips away because a politic is afraid of offending someone or something stupid.

11. Jan 6, 2012 at 9:22 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    +1
    my thoughts exactly.. i am a law abiding citizen, not a subject. i will carry on my person wherever i am permitted, ..and when i come across a CPZ, i stowe the firearm in the vehicle out of sight, lock the doors, windows up. i take the mags w/ me into the CPZ as a favor to the rest of society.. thus i have made the effort to keep the firearm from unauthorized persons within reasonable means available to me.. :cool:

12. Jan 6, 2012 at 11:48 PM
    BRYLONATOR

BRYLONATOR Building 06 Suburban K2500 with LBZ D-max and ZF6!

Member:
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Chillin in a 120!
    I just spent the last 40 minutes writing a response to explain myself better. I had made the perfect comparisons based just solely on how everyone responded to that comment. I just deleted the whole thing. To be honest....I am not here to pick a fight nor am I here to name call so sorry for jacking the thread like an ass and please just find secure ways to take care of your needs. Thank you

13. Jan 7, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    Bajatacoma

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    I understand what you're trying to say and I agree with you about the heavy responsibility that goes along with carrying a firearm. I've got a Beretta 92 floating around out there somewhere that was stolen from my truck years ago and I wonder about it often. If there was a way to install a heavier locking compartment I would, but there's just no room so I do the best I can with the space available. The console vault is, in my opinion, impractical for everyday use.

Products Discussed in

To Top