Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is my fog light switch supposed to light up?

Old 01-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
ShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shane
ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
Is my fog light switch supposed to light up?

It seems strange to me that my fog light switch doesn't light up. Is this normal or is mine defective?
The Rear differential switch lights up at night, but the fog light switch doesn't. I am aware that it has no indicator as to whether to fog lights are on or not, but it seems weird that toyota would make it hard to find in the dark. I suppose they did the same thing for the 4x4 switch.

For those that don't want to read the entire post, yes it is supposed to light up. The part number for the bulb is: 90011-01058 thanks to billyjoe
Old 01-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Jholder70 has a spectacular aura aboutJholder70 has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Jholder70's Tacoma Gallery
Nope.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
statement retracted.....
Old 01-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Fog light switch and diff lock are supposed to light up. There is a small light bulb in the switch that costs about 6 bucks at the dealer.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is backlit , just the same as your diff lock button in your pic
Old 01-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
apotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

apotter's Tacoma Gallery
It should light up...at least mine does when it's not being tempermental. Somtimes it takes a solid flick but it will come back on. I've taken the entire switch apart and check for power and continuity...all checks worked. There's no reason for it to not light up, it must just be a mild defect.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
weazle has a spectacular aura aboutweazle has a spectacular aura aboutweazle has a spectacular aura about

Name: Wesley
weazle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jholder70 View Post
Nope.
those wheels look sick. and my 09' fog light switch does not.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jholder70 View Post
Nope.
No
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
jholder speaks the truth. no light up
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
Fog light switch and diff lock are supposed to light up. There is a small light bulb in the switch that costs about 6 bucks at the dealer.
Yes
Old 01-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #10
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Mine is backlit , just the same as your diff lock button in your pic
thats weird....my 2010 dcsb and my 2011 XRunner do not light up...both brand new when i bought them
Old 01-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
Taco Fever - I've got it bad!
billyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
billyjoe's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, the fog-lamp is backlit on 2nd gen Tacos ('05+). However, there is no "indicator" light on the switch or the instrument panel to tell you whether the fogs are ON or OFF (other than looking outside at dusk/night).

The 4x4 switch is NOT backlit. However, you can easily add this feature if you buy/install the following mod:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ml#post1281196
Old 01-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjoe View Post
there is no "indicator" light on the switch or the instrument panel to tell you whether the fogs are ON or OFF (other than looking outside at dusk/night).
you could also just look if the switch is pressed in...
Old 01-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
ShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
OK, anyone know how to get the switch out of the dash? I tore up my hand pretty good trying to reach behind through what I call the coin tray. I saw someone say they popped out the blank beside it, but since I have a rear diff lock button there that is a no go.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
apotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

apotter's Tacoma Gallery
The light came through stock on the '09...I'm assuming it's stock on all of the switches? give it a good flick a few times and see if it makes a difference...it did on mine anyway, and oddly better than taking it apart and trying to adjust it to work properly everytime. Make me wonder why they charge almost $60 for the thing.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #15
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
you can take it apart to get to it. You have to take out the foot piece right next to the drivers side door, then then black block, then the kick panel, then the lower dash.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #16

ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey05Taco View Post
you can take it apart to get to it. You have to take out the foot piece right next to the drivers side door, then then black block, then the kick panel, then the lower dash.
Wow
Old 01-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #17

apotter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaLor View Post
Wow
No joke...it's a B*%@( to get to.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #18
billyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
you could also just look if the switch is pressed in...
Maybe if you're a cat...
Old 01-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #20

The part # for the bulb is 90011-01058. I know this because I had to replace mine when I bought my used '05 in late '09. Didn't dissassemble anything other than just popping out the surrounding blanks &, I believe, the Side-Mirror "Switch" as well (hey, it was 2 years ago). All you need to do is press behind it to pop it out. Hope that helps...