Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Plate bumpers legal?

Old 01-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
acmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
acmair's Tacoma Gallery
Plate bumpers legal?

Yeah it probably shouldn't be in the 2nd gen section but i didn't know a better place. Anyone know if bumpers like demello, arb, all-pro, are illegal? I really love them and hope to put some on my rig soon, but I would imagine they would probably be illegal since getting into a collision, and ramming someone with your bumper might kill them, and your airbag might not deploy. I did a search, didn't find much that helped, so i asked
Old 01-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
plate bumpers will not mess with the airbags
Old 01-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Legality of plate bumpers varies by jurisdiction. Consult your local DMV or law enforcement.

As for airbag deployment, the bumper has almost no effect on that. The computer takes readings from many sensors to determine airbag deployment.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
I know for a fact that at least ARB front bumpers are airbag compliant. If you go to their website for the bumpers under "details" one of the things listed is airbag compliant. Not sure if Relentless, Demello, etc. brands of bumpers will let the airbags deploy. Maybe if you got one made of aluminum it would offer some ability to crumple a little

http://store.arbusa.com/Bull-BarsBum...rriers-C8.aspx
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Who cares? If anyone gives you shit about it just ram their car with it and drive away laughing with a piece of 100 miles/H tape over your tag(s).
This is a joke don't do this.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG4LIFE View Post
I believe the airbags are inertia driven and have nothing to do with the bumper however I could be wrong...

u would be correct
Old 01-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
When I was in Big Bend last week I was talking with a border agent about my CBI. He asked if the cops ever give me a hard time for it. I was like...you mean no front plate? He was referring to the amount of the front tire exposed. Never been asked that but it's only been on my truck a month. He said some cops may bring it up. Thought to myself and decided Jeep's tires are exposed so all should be good.
The agent seemed to like the Brute Force bumper on my buddies truck more and said he would contact them for a bumper on his Tacoma.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Dude Tim View Post
I know for a fact that at least ARB front bumpers are airbag compliant. If you go to their website for the bumpers under "details" one of the things listed is airbag compliant. Not sure if Relentless, Demello, etc. brands of bumpers will let the airbags deploy. Maybe if you got one made of aluminum it would offer some ability to crumple a little

http://store.arbusa.com/Bull-BarsBum...rriers-C8.aspx
Idk why ARB pushes that they are airbag compliant since it is all inertia and sensor activated. I guess that gives them the go ahead on pricing
Old 01-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post
Idk why ARB pushes that they are airbag compliant since it is all inertia and sensor activated. I guess that gives them the go ahead on pricing
Maybe they just know the questions their consumers are going to ask and figure they will just answer then up front?

Seems like good business plan to me ..

Old 01-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Could just be that ARB has a better marketing team since they are a much larger international company. WAY bigger then most other small fab shops selling tacoma stuff.

Also curious about legality...in the event of an accident where someone was hurt I'd assume they would point fingers regardless of the bumper's role -- just because they look so beefy.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Product differentiation. Since all plate bumpers do the same job and have a very basic common shape/design just look different ARB must do something to make their bumpers stand out in the crowd. What better way than with safety features that others may not advertise therefore joe schmoe thinks it's better. Boom, money in ARB's pocket.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
Product differentiation. Since all plate bumpers do the same job and have a very basic common shape/design just look different ARB must do something to make their bumpers stand out in the crowd. What better way than with safety features that others may not advertise therefore joe schmoe thinks it's better. Boom, money in ARB's pocket.
Exactly what I was thinking. Not bagging on ARB owners but I see what you're saying.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
When I was in Big Bend last week I was talking with a border agent about my CBI. He asked if the cops ever give me a hard time for it. I was like...you mean no front plate? He was referring to the amount of the front tire exposed. Never been asked that but it's only been on my truck a month. He said some cops may bring it up. Thought to myself and decided Jeep's tires are exposed so all should be good.
The agent seemed to like the Brute Force bumper on my buddies truck more and said he would contact them for a bumper on his Tacoma.
Front of the tire exposed is not an issue.

Tire exposure concerns are throwing rocks and splashing water....
Generally, they want the full width of the tread covered by the fenders or skirts, and if the truck is over a certain height, mudflaps on the rear.

FJ Cruiser also has plenty of tire exposed on the front. That's not a concern.