Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

CV boot torn.. questions?

Old 01-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
kieth is on a distinguished road
kieth's Tacoma Gallery
CV boot torn.. questions?

hey guys, so while i was under my truck changing the oil yesterday i noticed my drivers side inner cv boot is torn and i got the grease spray goin on. I have a OME 3" lift with the diff drop in. My angles are still kinda shitty and i knew it was gonna happen eventually. I've done some reading and some people claim the oem axles from toyota are better than aftermarket ones because they have a better range of movement. I'm not sure i believe this. now obviously the problem is the boot itself, not the actual cv joint, i havent seen anyone have problems with the actual cv joint. I am planning to do the cv boot mod on the new axle before i install it and i have some stainless steel tyraps that i think will work great in securing the boot. Im pretty sure i can change the axle myself, my only concern is when pulling the axle out is damaging the seals onthe diff side or hub side, now does this commonly happen or should the axle come out ok. Im not familiar with these seals if i damage on ein the process. im pretty mechanically inclined, i installed my lift and UCA's. any input would be appreciated . thanks
Old 01-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
cameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to behold

Name: cameron
cameronlane's Tacoma Gallery
bump
Old 02-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Rastamanty is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
Rastamanty's Tacoma Gallery
Did you take a look at this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...dd-tacoma.html
Old 02-17-2012, 01:58 AM   #4
g35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
g35man's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
hey guys, so while i was under my truck changing the oil yesterday i noticed my drivers side inner cv boot is torn and i got the grease spray goin on. I have a OME 3" lift with the diff drop in. My angles are still kinda shitty and i knew it was gonna happen eventually. I've done some reading and some people claim the oem axles from toyota are better than aftermarket ones because they have a better range of movement. I'm not sure i believe this. now obviously the problem is the boot itself, not the actual cv joint, i havent seen anyone have problems with the actual cv joint. I am planning to do the cv boot mod on the new axle before i install it and i have some stainless steel tyraps that i think will work great in securing the boot. Im pretty sure i can change the axle myself, my only concern is when pulling the axle out is damaging the seals onthe diff side or hub side, now does this commonly happen or should the axle come out ok. Im not familiar with these seals if i damage on ein the process. im pretty mechanically inclined, i installed my lift and UCA's. any input would be appreciated . thanks
I have a 2012 OR 4x4 that is stock and it is leaking grease from the cv boot on the drivers side. WTF!!!!!!!!!! This is my second time dropping it off at a dealer to try and solve this issue. Makes me wonder what is going to happen when my 3" lift creates more angle.