1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question on driving a manual

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ortlie09, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Jan 11, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Curb: turn wheels to curb.

No curb: turn wheels to road (generally, assuming slope, cliff, ravine, or house, etc. in harm's way.)

Isn't everyone taught this stuff in driver's ed. anymore?

2. Jan 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    x2

3. Jan 11, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    Syncros

Syncros Well-Known Member

Member:
    You can fail a driving test here if you fail to do this or do it incorrectly.

4. Jan 11, 2012 at 12:38 PM
    m1a1mg

m1a1mg Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I'm not sure how I've made it through 52 years on the planet, 34 of them driving primarily vehicles with a stick, and never had any issues as discussed here. I put it in gear when I park and put on the parking brake. If you maintain your parking brake along with the rest of your truck, what is the issue?

When I need to warm it up in the morning, I put it in neutral and start it. Don't need some silly switch.

5. Jan 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    yes I was taught all this stuff, but none of it was on the actual test, thats why there are legally retarded people driving around.

6. Jan 11, 2012 at 1:15 PM
    Dustyroades

Dustyroades Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    Care to explain why? I don't get it.

7. Jan 11, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    wherestaco

wherestaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    annapolis md
    Vehicle:
    oo taco std cab 3in lift
    allpro trail armor, allpro 3inch lift, 33 1250 ssr, k&n intake, flowmaster exhaust, mile marker 9500, 4.88 yukon gears spartan lunch box in the front detroit in the rear,procomp 55w lights, mild port work.
    Haha looks like this thread is 50/50 on leaving it in gear with the parking break vs just using the parking break from my experience I always use the brake and leave it in gear because i wouldn't want my truck or car run over a kid because a parking brake went out just my opinion

8. Jan 11, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    ortlie09

ortlie09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    11 Reg Cab 4x4
    Debadged, took off front mud flaps, prevent tailgate theft mod, Magnaflow 18" muffler, Bilstein 5100s front and rear w/ front @1.75, wet okoles, plasi dipped front emblem, weathertechs, scangauge, toolbox, Bed pocket lights, BHLM, T1 eyelids, BAMF sliders, Bruteforce Fab rear bumper
    I prefer to leave it in gear and have the parking brake on because that's how I was taught to do it. And now after getting everyones opinion on the clutch cancel button, I'm not going to use it every day but I'm also not going to worry about using it a few times a week either. Thanks everyone

9. Jan 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    kiteboarder

kiteboarder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I drive stick. Only.
    To come.
    You're fine doing that - parking in gear and also using the parking brake. (As long as you get used to putting it back in neutral after starting before removing your foot from the clutch.

Just about all my cars have been manual. Been driving manual for over 16 years. Both old and new cars. American, Japanese and Martian. I have never had a problem and I always park like that - 1st gear and parking brake.

My wife is so used to it to, that when she gets in my cars, she's used to clutching, turning on, move to neutral, remove foot from clutch. It's like clockwork for both of us now.

However, I test drove a Corvette the other day. The sales guy at the lot told me he likes to park the cars in neutral with the parking brake only. Just in case they get bumped it won't affect the transmission. Fair enough, but it's a level lot, fenced off, no problem. Anywhere else, I'd leave it in gear. To avoid making a mistake, always do the same thing.

10. Jan 11, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater

I read but I haven't have a parking brake failure ever and I maintain truck well including the parking brake. My remote start requires the truck be in neutral so in neutral it stays. I always point my wheels at the curb I case anything happens anyways.

Products Discussed in

To Top