1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil Extractor - Good or Bad Idea?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Coqui, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Jan 13, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    danimal92sport

danimal92sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    dcab, 4WD, TRD O/R
    Because draining your oil through the drain plug consumes more gravity. It may not seem like a big deal now, but when we start using up all of our precious gravity resources doing things like draining oil, you're going to feel like a real ass hole.

2. Jan 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBQSJBLKBRO2SPECU1.04
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    instant signature

3. Jan 13, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    facemob

facemob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    OME 881, Nitrochargers front and rear, diff drop, Wheelers 3 Leaf AAL, Supertop, shitty brush guard and a hole in the muffler
    I kind of feel like using the extraction method is comparable to changing the oil and not the filter..... Which I don't believe in doing. if your going to do an oil change, do it right. Not saying this way isnt exactly right, but the draining of the oil I feel would get more small particles moving than the force of suction thru a small hole. If you change the oil regularly this is ok, but would recomend a full drain every now and then.

But it is a cool tool that I have never thought to check out.

4. Jan 13, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    facemob

facemob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    OME 881, Nitrochargers front and rear, diff drop, Wheelers 3 Leaf AAL, Supertop, shitty brush guard and a hole in the muffler
    And yeah, I hear you about not wasting the gravity , there are better things to use it for.

5. Jan 13, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    danimal92sport

Member:
    Vehicle:
    dcab, 4WD, TRD O/R
    Save the gravity.

6. Jan 13, 2012 at 7:15 PM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBQSJBLKBRO2SPECU1.04
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    But, like i said in my earlier post on this thread, i'd like to extract AFTER i let gravity work its magic. Because i still there there may be some oil stuck in lines. Unless, you change your oil after the truck has sat in one spot for a while. But thats not the way youre supposed to do it.

7. Jan 13, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    danimal92sport

Member:
    Vehicle:
    dcab, 4WD, TRD O/R
    You'll never get it all - give up on that. Engines like these commonly hold a 1/2 quart or more in all sorts of places that simply can't drain out.

8. Jan 14, 2012 at 6:28 AM
    Coqui

Coqui [OP] Active Member

Member:
    60% EST // 40% CST
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Predator Nerf Bars, Anchored OEM Bed Mat, Secured Tail Gate, Scan Gauge II, Weathertech Digital Fit Grey Mats, Brinks Cable Lock on Spare Tire, TRD Leather Shift Knob, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, FJ TRD Centercap Mod for TRD OR Wheels, N-Fab LB, PIAA 520, BSP Grille, Flyzeye Designs V2W G/W/G LED
    Yes, it is quite possible that a residual amount of oil will not drain out. One should consider the variables vs the method to achieve the perfect oil change.

Oil viscosity and temperature at the moment you are changing the oil by either method - gravity or vacuum extraction - plays a big role on this.

For example and in reference in http://www.oilviscositychart.info/

Viscosity and temperature - Viscosity is inversely proportional to fluidity. The less viscous, fluid will flow easily compared to high viscous fluids. For example water has less Viscosity than honey. Hence water will flow smoothly in comparison to honey. One can think of Viscosity as fluid's resistance to flow. Viscosity is dependent on temperature. A temperature change will cause the viscosity of the fluid to increase or decrease.

Viscosity can be measured as :

1)Dynamic Viscosity - Dynamic viscosity is determined by measuring shear stress. Unit of measuring dynamic viscosity is centipoise (cP).

2)Kinematic Viscosity - It is more popular method. It is calculated based on the time taken by oil heated at specified temperature to flow through a hole of specified size. A capillary test can be use to provide accurate measurement. Unit of measuring kinematic viscosity is centistoke (cSt). Oil which is high in viscosity will take more time to flow out of hole. Oil high in viscosity are known as thick oil and oil low in viscosity is known as thin oil.

Points to remember

Viscosity is inversely proportional to temperature.

Viscosity is directly proportional to pressure.

The viscosity of oil decreases when it is heated.

I am pretty sure many of us change the oil after the engine is warm up in order to drain or extract out the most amount possible, residual oil will always remain in various degrees, including the oil filter.

Frank

Products Discussed in

To Top