Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2014 Tacoma To Offer New Direct Injection Engine

Old 01-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
blawrie will become famous soon enoughblawrie will become famous soon enough
blawrie's Tacoma Gallery
2014 Tacoma To Offer New Direct Injection Engine

Hey guys found this article over at tacomahq that states a new engine coming to the 2014 model year. Hopefully its true as the 1GRFE is getting quickly outdated.

http://www.tacomahq.com/1253/2014-ta...ect-injection/
Old 01-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I will believe it when I see it.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I will believe it when I see it.
x2. I'd suspect the next engine the Tacoma will get is the dual VVT engine that the FJ Cruiser and 4Runner already have. The Tacoma doesn't seem to lead the way with new technology so I doubt it would get a new and improved engine before the other models.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Also "reliable sources" usually means the bum asking for change in front of the gas station.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Also "reliable sources" usually means the bum asking for change in front of the gas station.
Hey now!!! Cross dressing Tim sits at the intersection in front of the Toyota corporate building...he knows his stuff...
Old 01-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Sure would be cool if Toyota would do DI. I could see it introduced across several similar Toyota products at or close to the same time...not sure about just in the Tacoma.

Now if they'd just offer a diesel (flame warning device actuated).
Old 01-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
1GR outdated? Nah...
Old 01-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
Banned
If the 1g still had a carb on out then it would be outdated and a cab spacer would actually do something. With fuel injection and variable valve timing it is modern just not new modern but in the end so what.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If the 1g still had a carb on out then it would be outdated and a cab spacer would actually do something. With fuel injection and variable valve timing it is modern just not new modern but in the end so what.
For the life of me I can't understand why Toyota put a different V6 in the FJ Cruiser, Tundra and 4Runner than the Tacoma. Even from a business standpoint, you'd think it'd be cheaper to produce 1 engine.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
For the life of me I can't understand why Toyota put a different V6 in the FJ Cruiser, Tundra and 4Runner than the Tacoma. Even from a business standpoint, you'd think it'd be cheaper to produce 1 engine.
I'm guessing because those are heavier and less aerodynamic vehicles.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
Banned
I'm perfectly fine without a diesel.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
lundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
A Prius truck and a Scion truck? Did I read that right?
Old 01-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
what did I miss?
skunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudi
skunk's Tacoma Gallery
Me like diesel... there something that can be said for being able to "brew" your own fuel.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #16
Banned
Like someone said. The top of the line Hilux comes with the 4.0 V6. If I wanted a diesel I would buy a Ram 2500, F250 or Chev/GM 2500. There will never be a diesel Taco and if they do it then BFD.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #17

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I would love to have a diesel Tacoma but I think they'd be way too expensive.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #18
jbrenn is a jewel in the roughjbrenn is a jewel in the roughjbrenn is a jewel in the roughjbrenn is a jewel in the rough
jbrenn's Tacoma Gallery
I would like to see the FR-S engine as an option in the Tacoma. 2 liter 200 hp and a 6 speed auto would be a big improvement for the 4 cyl and would cost toyota very little.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #19
danimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud of
danimal92sport's Tacoma Gallery
No diesel engines in Toyotas at the moment because:

1. The US consumer base still thinks diesels are loud, huge, and dirty.
2. The US consumer base does not trust any diesel unless it's made by Ford, GM, or Cummins
3. The cost and complexity of the emissions equipment required in the US (read DOC, DPF, and SCR) would make the diesel option very expensive (on top of an already more expensive engine).
4. US Toyota dealer service depts. have little/no diesel engine experience at the moment
Old 01-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #20
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal92sport View Post
No diesel engines in Toyotas at the moment because:

1. The US consumer base still thinks diesels are loud, huge, and dirty.
2. The US consumer base does not trust any diesel unless it's made by Ford, GM, or Cummins
3. The cost and complexity of the emissions equipment required in the US (read DOC, DPF, and SCR) would make the diesel option very expensive (on top of an already more expensive engine).
4. US Toyota dealer service depts. have little/no diesel engine experience at the moment
Personally, I think the oil companies are paying the automakers off. Even Cadillac has diesel engines, they just don't sell them here.