1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5spd manual or V6 automatic?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chichib6s4, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Jan 13, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    chichib6s4

chichib6s4 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey guys, I am a new member looking to get into a tacoma very soon. My current vehicle is a 2005 Audi S4, but I am in need of a truck as a daily driver. I have not yet driven the 2nd generation tacoma, but my father owns a 2000 Tacoma 4 cylinder and it has been great to him. I am undecided if I want the 5spd manual or the V6. I heard that the 6spd V6 is slower than the automatic V6 and wastes more gas. Anyone know if that is true? Those who have the 4 cylinder 5spd, what are the pros and cons? To those who have the V6, what are the pros and cons of the automatic and the 6spd? Thanks!

2. Jan 13, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    my choice would be a single cab 4x4 5 speed but thats just me.

do you need the room of a double cab or not?

3. Jan 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    The v6 auto tends to get more mpg because it is geared lower then the manual. Even in the 4cyl it is geared with 4.10's, so you will be at a higher rpm on the highway. Again why buy a truck if you are very concerned about gas mileage? If you are then stick to 2wd 4 or v6 pre-runner.

It all comes down to how you drive, so you need to test them all before you plop down the $$$. We don't want you starting any "are there any hp mods for the 4cyl?" or "why do I get 15mpg with my v6" threads.:D Good luck.

Edit: Hi lo from Beantown man! Nevermind with the 2wd then!

4. Jan 13, 2012 at 12:39 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    I've had both the 6 speed and the auto and I can say that I'm much happier with the auto. *Slightly* better fuel economy, can't really comment on which was faster as I never have and never will street race.

5. Jan 13, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    I live in hilly WV and only get 14.5 mpg with the V6 Auto. It all depends on where you live and how you drive determines the mpg.

6. Jan 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    DeadWeasel

DeadWeasel ಠ_ಠ

Member:
    First Name:
    Rex
    Portland, ME
    Vehicle:
    09 : 4x4 : 2.7L : 5spd
    32" BFG ATs, Removed 2nd air filter, Brighter Reverse Lights, ARE Cap, LED maps/dome, ScanGauge II, zXe headlights
    It does run high RPM on the highway, I try to stay at 2000RPM for the gas savings but that puts me at around 65MPH MAX on a flat highway. I can get 21-23MPG highway if I drive right.

City is a little uglier getting between 14-19MPG (but city trips are all of 6-10 minutes for me, so it's inefficient to begin with). But I love it just the same.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably get the pyrite mica paint job... :D

EDIT: 32 BFG ATs -- so I'm not sure what % my speedo is off. Getting my numbers from scangauge 2.

7. Jan 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Don't get a Tacoma for the mpg. That;'s what a bicycle is for :confused:

My 07 Taco v6 auto averages 15.5mpg on a good highway/street/off-road mix. And that drops every time I mod it more, sigh.

The V6 is a great engine and the auto trans is solid. First auto I've ever owned, always been a driver of sticks (I even special ordered a Ford Explorer in a manual trans back in 95). Anyway, I was freaked out about having an auto.. sloppy shifting, wearing out my brakes on downhills, expensive repairs around 80k. Well none of that is true of the Taco auto. This thing is intelligent, and you can manually shift it also (as the situation may seldom require).

Here is the real deal clincher... the entire auto trans is covered under the warranty (including the extended warranty). The manual trans only covers the gear box, everything else is considered a "wear item": like the master and slave cylinders, the clutch, etc.

I have 1st hand knowledge and also know several that have had uncovered manual trans repairs on a 2yr old truck. Mine was the master cyl that went out.

8. Jan 13, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    If you're used to manuals, you'll have to unlearn everything you know and relearn to drive the 5 sp. 4 cyl. The 1-2 shift clunks/grinds unless you pause to let the syncros mesh, the engine revs hang for about 5 seconds when shifting 4-5, and you won't get it into 1st gear unless you're almost stopped (<2 mph).

With that being said, my 4 cyl regular cab feels light, solid as a rock, torquey (NOT fast), and the engine is pretty much bulletproof with regular maintenance. I hated the transmission at first, but learned to drive it pretty smoothly and now I enjoy driving the truck more than my old car ('07 VW GTI).

9. Jan 13, 2012 at 1:36 PM
    chichib6s4

Member:
    I am not really concerned on mpg, I was just curious. I need something a little more than just the single cab, so access cab it is! I don't have a far commute to work and I have been thinking about the V6 auto myself. A few people have told me to go with the automatic, but I wanted some feedback. Thank you all!

10. Jan 13, 2012 at 1:43 PM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper
    Having gone from a 4-cyl reg cab Taco to a V6 auto trans, I gotta say I love the 6 with the auto. Powerful and cushy, and you still get a good amount of engine braking when you want it, as well as retaining the ability to select your gear.

11. Jan 13, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Hey OP ... the V6 auto is a great combo. Don't know how these other guys drive, but I'm stock height with shell and stock tire size ... 265/70r16 BFG All Terrains and I get between 17-20mpg. My last tank (which was winter blend .. go figure) I got 20.2mpg. My best yet.

If you aren't concerned about MPG, unless you want a stick for some reason (and in Boston, I don't know why you would) go with the V6 auto. The manual 4-cyl is a very good truck, but you'll only squeeze out maybe 20-25% better gas mileage than the V6. But the V6 has 48% more HP than the 4. That's a big difference, especially if you plan on driving your truck to the mountains, or towing, or carrying loads.

12. Jan 13, 2012 at 3:53 PM
    chichib6s4

Member:
    I know from experience that my father's 2000 tacoma doesnt have enough power for me. It will certainly be a V6 automatic. I am going to test drive a few tomorrow just to get a feel for them and see what I think. I want to take it to trails and definitely go off-road! Its one of the reasons as to why I love trucks. Also, being an electrician and carrying around ladders, tools, and stock doesn't all fit in the back of my S4....I am lucky to get a 6ft ladder in there with the rear seats folded down haha.

Products Discussed in

To Top