1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Odd question, Fan under armrest

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cjthedj, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Jan 13, 2012 at 10:18 PM
    cjthedj

cjthedj [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chadd
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 extended cab
    I'm normally pretty up to date on my vehicles but I recently got stumped. I have 300,000 miles on my 06 Taco now and decided to change out all the carpet and clean everything up. Under my armrest mounted to the floor facing the openings in the rear of the armrest appears to be a fan? Well I know it's a fan what I don't know is it's purpose. Is it for pushing air to the rear passengers? I've never paid attention but since I have an extended cab that'd seem to make sense. but it's blue cold here so I was taking the interior apart from inside the truck and never saw the fan run. I tried all the different settings on the air unit and nothing. Not that it's something I use considering I didn't realize it was there but if I know what it is and what it should do I'll fix it to have it right if need be. I've looked all over for a diagram so I could find it but haven't had any luck there either so I was hoping someone like me has found it or knows what it is and it drove them crazy too until they found what it was for. Help is greatly appreciated.

2. Jan 13, 2012 at 10:32 PM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    How 'bout some pics please. Bump

3. Jan 13, 2012 at 10:33 PM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    300,000 on 06? i wanna see pics

4. Jan 13, 2012 at 10:43 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    welcome to TW!

x1000000

5. Jan 13, 2012 at 10:46 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Are you looking at the fan port of the 110v inverter?

6. Jan 13, 2012 at 10:47 PM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    TRD model? maybe a fan to cool the power inverter?

need pics

7. Jan 13, 2012 at 10:54 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    The inverter for the 110V bed outlets is under the console bin/armrest and would have a cooling fan. I'll bet anyone's money that's what you're seeing.

8. Jan 13, 2012 at 10:55 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    x2.

but i want to see pic of this ’06 with 300’000 miles on it.

9. Jan 13, 2012 at 11:24 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Ya man how is it holding up? You basically have half a million kilometers on there which is pretty cool.

Many rattles? Any engine work ? Other issues?

Details man!

10. Jan 13, 2012 at 11:37 PM
    WV_Tacoma

WV_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington, WV
    Vehicle:
    05 Pre, DBL Cab
    Not enough
    Come on "OP" give us the low down on the 300,000 mile breakdowns!!

11. Jan 14, 2012 at 3:26 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Lol op comes asking about a fan and everyone wants pics of his odometer :)

12. Jan 14, 2012 at 3:41 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    x2

Hey ... they answered his question! Now OP, please answer these.:)

13. Jan 14, 2012 at 9:12 AM
    cjthedj

cjthedj [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chadd
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 extended cab
    Makes sense guys but I never thought of it. Now I feel like a dummy but I'm pretty certain that's what it'll be. I'll take pictures with it in and while everything is out I'll take some with it pulled so everyone can see. The fan is toward the gearshift and the intake faces the vents in the rear floorboard of the armrest. Thanks everyone, I'll post some picks later this evening.

14. Jan 14, 2012 at 9:36 AM
    cjthedj

cjthedj [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chadd
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 extended cab
    So far I've put brakes on, changed to cold air around 175k, replaced headlights due to scratching they got to cloudy to see. Frame had rusted so I sandblasted and rubber coated. "about to change rotors for the first time" have brake bump in steering pretty bad. Tranny is solid and I haul either 16ft box or 20' open at least once a week. I'm amazed but no breakdowns at all and I'm in WV so a vehicle has to work just due to the mountains. I think I've gone through every tire possible now, I average around 25k on a set and swap out a little below 30k. The most I've gotten out of a set is the current set that are on it and I bought them at the beginning of fall for looks and something different and they're sporting about 45k now with just below half tread, keep in mind though they had a aggressive tread to start where the others didn't. I believe they're cooper st max tires but I'll have to look to make sure but they did a side tread a lot like the old Macky tires, I loved how they looked so I picked some up, probably put a new set of same on in a couple weeks since its winter. If it were spring I'd likely get an additional 20k out of tires which is amazing compared to the original tires or others that have averaged from 17k to 27k. Now my compass and temp display in the roof went out when the truck was about a year old and I've never found another control board, couple windshields, engine ticks and always has, I'm assuming that's not a bad thing given the number of miles and it's still strong as the day I bought it. On original battery, have changed shocks & struts once, had to replace rear leaf springs last year due to god aweful squeeking. Like I said before I'll get some picks while putting the interior back together later, I'm on the road now.

15. Jan 14, 2012 at 9:45 AM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    You might have the cooper STT's, the Maxx's just came out last summer. Unless you put that many miles on in 6 months .. which I guess you could have. If they are ST Maxx's can you take a couple close ups of them? I'm thinking of trying this tire but having issues finding people who run them. The few who do are saying amazing things.

Also, original battery ... wow lol.

16. Jan 14, 2012 at 9:56 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Thanks OP! That is great to hear...reassuring for those of us intending to wear out our trucks before getting another. Really appreciate you taking the time to give the summary.

EDIT: West By God Virginia ... that is some beautiful country; I grew up in VA.

17. Jan 14, 2012 at 9:58 PM
    cjthedj

cjthedj [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chadd
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 extended cab
    Yes they are ST Maxx's and I've loved them. New to the forum but will attempt to upload pics of them but keep in mind I'm only on about 1/4 to 1/2 tread now but will be putting them back on. I went larger than factory with this set which I hadn't done in the past, Not a lot of room there I'm just missing the fender wells by about 1/4. As for mileage every day I run a tank out but many I run at least two so I go through tires pretty often. The Maxx's had just came out when I put them on, My local tire dealer is a good friend and wanted me to try them and they honestly surprised me. The BF's are gone forever now. Some road noise which you'd expect with aggressive tread but honestly not much at all. I've had others with not nearly the tread that were a lot louder. They're a harder compound so a lower speed rating but still handle pretty good, Great in water and good self cleaners. The sidewall cuts walk mud and water to the outside of the tire real good, Rock climbing they are as good but no better than the others I've had on but when the differentials are locked they outperform 2 to 1 in my opinion. Haven't been in a good snow yet but given where I live I will be able to make an honest appraisal as soon as the first good snow hits.

Also it is the inverter, I verified inputs and outputs with meter and sure enough that's it. So since it was uncovered at the time I placed the bed outlet under a pretty heavy load with a circular saw and heated the feller up. Sure enough the fan kicks on so no doubt. I appreciate everyone's input and I'll try to get some pictures posted in the morning. Just got in and going to get everything back in tonight then snap some pics.

18. Jan 14, 2012 at 10:17 PM
    sir1123

sir1123 Tacomas FTMFW!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Charleston
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 Prerunner, Black,3.4L
    3"Ebaich with 5100 Bilstiens, K&N cai, 5% 3M Tint, Magnaflow 18", Hella 500s with 35w 3000k hid retro, 33x9.5x15 BFG A/T
    just curious as why do you do to drive so much?

19. Jan 14, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    Great info on the tires, thanks a ton!

20. Jan 14, 2012 at 10:22 PM
    spares

spares Canadian Bacon

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD Sport

Products Discussed in

To Top