Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Odd question, Fan under armrest

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
cjthedj [OP] cjthedj is offline
Junior Member
cjthedj is on a distinguished road
Name: Chadd
Joined: Jan 2012, #70604
Location: WV
Gender: Male
Posts: 19
cjthedj's Tacoma Gallery
Odd question, Fan under armrest

I'm normally pretty up to date on my vehicles but I recently got stumped. I have 300,000 miles on my 06 Taco now and decided to change out all the carpet and clean everything up. Under my armrest mounted to the floor facing the openings in the rear of the armrest appears to be a fan? Well I know it's a fan what I don't know is it's purpose. Is it for pushing air to the rear passengers? I've never paid attention but since I have an extended cab that'd seem to make sense. but it's blue cold here so I was taking the interior apart from inside the truck and never saw the fan run. I tried all the different settings on the air unit and nothing. Not that it's something I use considering I didn't realize it was there but if I know what it is and what it should do I'll fix it to have it right if need be. I've looked all over for a diagram so I could find it but haven't had any luck there either so I was hoping someone like me has found it or knows what it is and it drove them crazy too until they found what it was for. Help is greatly appreciated.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
TnRedNeck721's Avatar
Name: Zach
Joined: Mar 2011, #52731
Location: TN
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,764
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to TW!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat View Post
300,000 on 06? i wanna see pics
x1000000
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
JKD JKD is offline
Senior Member
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
JKD's Avatar
Joined: Jun 2009, #18207
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,969
JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Are you looking at the fan port of the 110v inverter?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
LBtaco's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2009, #12893
Location: Long Beach , CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,224
LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
TRD model? maybe a fan to cool the power inverter?

need pics
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
landphil's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2011, #52290
Location: BC, Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,442
landphil's Tacoma Gallery
The inverter for the 110V bed outlets is under the console bin/armrest and would have a cooling fan. I'll bet anyone's money that's what you're seeing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
TnRedNeck721's Avatar
Name: Zach
Joined: Mar 2011, #52731
Location: TN
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,764
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post
The inverter for the 110V bed outlets is under the console bin/armrest and would have a cooling fan. I'll bet anyone's money that's what you're seeing.
x2.

but i want to see pic of this ’06 with 300’000 miles on it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
Senior Member
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
anethema's Avatar
Name: J
Joined: Feb 2011, #51833
Location: Dawson Creek,BC
Gender: Male
Posts: 987
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
Ya man how is it holding up? You basically have half a million kilometers on there which is pretty cool.

Many rattles? Any engine work ? Other issues?

Details man!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #10
Senior Member
WV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to behold
Joined: Jul 2009, #19738
Location: Huntington, WV
Gender: Male
Posts: 259
WV_Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Come on "OP" give us the low down on the 300,000 mile breakdowns!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #11
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
joneill03's Avatar
Name: Johnny-5
Joined: Oct 2009, #24912
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,338
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Lol op comes asking about a fan and everyone wants pics of his odometer
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:41 AM   #12
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
MQQSE's Avatar
Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
Joined: May 2010, #36646
Location: 61N 149W
Age: 49
Gender: Guy
Posts: 12,297
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anethema View Post
Ya man how is it holding up? You basically have half a million kilometers on there which is pretty cool.

Many rattles? Any engine work ? Other issues?

Details man!
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
Lol op comes asking about a fan and everyone wants pics of his odometer
Hey ... they answered his question! Now OP, please answer these.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
cjthedj [OP] cjthedj is offline
Junior Member
cjthedj is on a distinguished road
Name: Chadd
Joined: Jan 2012, #70604
Location: WV
Gender: Male
Posts: 19
cjthedj's Tacoma Gallery
Inverter dah

Makes sense guys but I never thought of it. Now I feel like a dummy but I'm pretty certain that's what it'll be. I'll take pictures with it in and while everything is out I'll take some with it pulled so everyone can see. The fan is toward the gearshift and the intake faces the vents in the rear floorboard of the armrest. Thanks everyone, I'll post some picks later this evening.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #14
cjthedj [OP] cjthedj is offline
Junior Member
cjthedj is on a distinguished road
Name: Chadd
Joined: Jan 2012, #70604
Location: WV
Gender: Male
Posts: 19
cjthedj's Tacoma Gallery
So far I've put brakes on, changed to cold air around 175k, replaced headlights due to scratching they got to cloudy to see. Frame had rusted so I sandblasted and rubber coated. "about to change rotors for the first time" have brake bump in steering pretty bad. Tranny is solid and I haul either 16ft box or 20' open at least once a week. I'm amazed but no breakdowns at all and I'm in WV so a vehicle has to work just due to the mountains. I think I've gone through every tire possible now, I average around 25k on a set and swap out a little below 30k. The most I've gotten out of a set is the current set that are on it and I bought them at the beginning of fall for looks and something different and they're sporting about 45k now with just below half tread, keep in mind though they had a aggressive tread to start where the others didn't. I believe they're cooper st max tires but I'll have to look to make sure but they did a side tread a lot like the old Macky tires, I loved how they looked so I picked some up, probably put a new set of same on in a couple weeks since its winter. If it were spring I'd likely get an additional 20k out of tires which is amazing compared to the original tires or others that have averaged from 17k to 27k. Now my compass and temp display in the roof went out when the truck was about a year old and I've never found another control board, couple windshields, engine ticks and always has, I'm assuming that's not a bad thing given the number of miles and it's still strong as the day I bought it. On original battery, have changed shocks & struts once, had to replace rear leaf springs last year due to god aweful squeeking. Like I said before I'll get some picks while putting the interior back together later, I'm on the road now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #15
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Fightnfire's Avatar
Name: Luke
Joined: Jun 2011, #58178
Location: Washington
Gender: Dude
Posts: 4,096
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjthedj View Post
So far I've put brakes on, changed to cold air around 175k, replaced headlights due to scratching they got to cloudy to see. Frame had rusted so I sandblasted and rubber coated. "about to change rotors for the first time" have brake bump in steering pretty bad. Tranny is solid and I haul either 16ft box or 20' open at least once a week. I'm amazed but no breakdowns at all and I'm in WV so a vehicle has to work just due to the mountains. I think I've gone through every tire possible now, I average around 25k on a set and swap out a little below 30k. The most I've gotten out of a set is the current set that are on it and I bought them at the beginning of fall for looks and something different and they're sporting about 45k now with just below half tread, keep in mind though they had a aggressive tread to start where the others didn't. I believe they're cooper st max tires but I'll have to look to make sure but they did a side tread a lot like the old Macky tires, I loved how they looked so I picked some up, probably put a new set of same on in a couple weeks since its winter. If it were spring I'd likely get an additional 20k out of tires which is amazing compared to the original tires or others that have averaged from 17k to 27k. Now my compass and temp display in the roof went out when the truck was about a year old and I've never found another control board, couple windshields, engine ticks and always has, I'm assuming that's not a bad thing given the number of miles and it's still strong as the day I bought it. On original battery, have changed shocks & struts once, had to replace rear leaf springs last year due to god aweful squeeking. Like I said before I'll get some picks while putting the interior back together later, I'm on the road now.
You might have the cooper STT's, the Maxx's just came out last summer. Unless you put that many miles on in 6 months .. which I guess you could have. If they are ST Maxx's can you take a couple close ups of them? I'm thinking of trying this tire but having issues finding people who run them. The few who do are saying amazing things.

Also, original battery ... wow lol.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #16
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
MQQSE's Avatar
Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
Joined: May 2010, #36646
Location: 61N 149W
Age: 49
Gender: Guy
Posts: 12,297
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks OP! That is great to hear...reassuring for those of us intending to wear out our trucks before getting another. Really appreciate you taking the time to give the summary.

EDIT: West By God Virginia ... that is some beautiful country; I grew up in VA.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
cjthedj [OP] cjthedj is offline
Junior Member
cjthedj is on a distinguished road
Name: Chadd
Joined: Jan 2012, #70604
Location: WV
Gender: Male
Posts: 19
cjthedj's Tacoma Gallery
Yes they are ST Maxx's and I've loved them. New to the forum but will attempt to upload pics of them but keep in mind I'm only on about 1/4 to 1/2 tread now but will be putting them back on. I went larger than factory with this set which I hadn't done in the past, Not a lot of room there I'm just missing the fender wells by about 1/4. As for mileage every day I run a tank out but many I run at least two so I go through tires pretty often. The Maxx's had just came out when I put them on, My local tire dealer is a good friend and wanted me to try them and they honestly surprised me. The BF's are gone forever now. Some road noise which you'd expect with aggressive tread but honestly not much at all. I've had others with not nearly the tread that were a lot louder. They're a harder compound so a lower speed rating but still handle pretty good, Great in water and good self cleaners. The sidewall cuts walk mud and water to the outside of the tire real good, Rock climbing they are as good but no better than the others I've had on but when the differentials are locked they outperform 2 to 1 in my opinion. Haven't been in a good snow yet but given where I live I will be able to make an honest appraisal as soon as the first good snow hits.

Also it is the inverter, I verified inputs and outputs with meter and sure enough that's it. So since it was uncovered at the time I placed the bed outlet under a pretty heavy load with a circular saw and heated the feller up. Sure enough the fan kicks on so no doubt. I appreciate everyone's input and I'll try to get some pictures posted in the morning. Just got in and going to get everything back in tonight then snap some pics.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #18
Tacomas FTMFW!!!!
sir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud of
 
sir1123's Avatar
Name: John
Joined: Nov 2010, #46216
Location: Charleston
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,375
sir1123's Tacoma Gallery
just curious as why do you do to drive so much?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #19
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Fightnfire's Avatar
Name: Luke
Joined: Jun 2011, #58178
Location: Washington
Gender: Dude
Posts: 4,096
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjthedj View Post
Yes they are ST Maxx's and I've loved them. New to the forum but will attempt to upload pics of them but keep in mind I'm only on about 1/4 to 1/2 tread now but will be putting them back on. I went larger than factory with this set which I hadn't done in the past, Not a lot of room there I'm just missing the fender wells by about 1/4. As for mileage every day I run a tank out but many I run at least two so I go through tires pretty often. The Maxx's had just came out when I put them on, My local tire dealer is a good friend and wanted me to try them and they honestly surprised me. The BF's are gone forever now. Some road noise which you'd expect with aggressive tread but honestly not much at all. I've had others with not nearly the tread that were a lot louder. They're a harder compound so a lower speed rating but still handle pretty good, Great in water and good self cleaners. The sidewall cuts walk mud and water to the outside of the tire real good, Rock climbing they are as good but no better than the others I've had on but when the differentials are locked they outperform 2 to 1 in my opinion. Haven't been in a good snow yet but given where I live I will be able to make an honest appraisal as soon as the first good snow hits.

Also it is the inverter, I verified inputs and outputs with meter and sure enough that's it. So since it was uncovered at the time I placed the bed outlet under a pretty heavy load with a circular saw and heated the feller up. Sure enough the fan kicks on so no doubt. I appreciate everyone's input and I'll try to get some pictures posted in the morning. Just got in and going to get everything back in tonight then snap some pics.
Great info on the tires, thanks a ton!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #20
Canadian Bacon
spares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
spares's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2010, #43710
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 312
spares's Tacoma Gallery
theres a fix for the temp/compass... just a quick solder job and you're golden.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-temp-fix.html
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
armrest mod material question JJ5685 2nd Gen. Tacomas 14 11-06-2011 09:00 AM
Odd tire question gatlin69 Technical Chat 12 07-29-2011 09:00 AM
Odd tsb question Frostbyte 2nd Gen. Tacomas 8 04-04-2011 07:16 PM
Odd Question tacomike08 2nd Gen. Tacomas 3 03-25-2011 05:51 PM
Odd question during purchase gregp 2nd Gen. Tacomas 15 02-25-2011 06:27 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.