Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma or Ram 1500

Old 01-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
ntempleton is on a distinguished road
ntempleton's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma or Ram 1500

I've been in the market for a new truck and up until a few days ago, I thought I was going to buy a Tacoma (SR5, DCSB, 4x4, V6). I have a few friends that are huge Dodge fans and they convinced me to go drive a 1500 BigHorn Hemi before I bought anything. Drove the Dodge on Friday and now I can't decide.

I'm mostly looking for a commuting vehicle. 4x4 won't be used but a few times year (hunting,camping) and I very infrequently tow, and when I do it's just a smallish cargo trailer.

I still very much like the Tacoma, but the Dodge felt a bit better thought out. Mostly small details like one-touch up/down windows, fold flat cargo area, mirrors, and a few other things.

The Tacoma is smaller, a few hundred $ cheaper, and gets 2-3 mpg better than the Dodge. These are big advantages towards the Tacoma.

I realize this is a Tacoma forum, but which would you go with?

For price comparison, here are the 2 offers that I have.
2012 Tacoma SR5, DCSB, 4x4, Towing - $29400 +TTL
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 BigHorn, Quad Cab, 4x4, Hemi - $29999 +TTL

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
mentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mentose457's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Colossians 3:2
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ethan
PreRunner03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentose457 View Post
Ford F-150
This
Old 01-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
txduckhunter is a splendid one to beholdtxduckhunter is a splendid one to beholdtxduckhunter is a splendid one to beholdtxduckhunter is a splendid one to beholdtxduckhunter is a splendid one to beholdtxduckhunter is a splendid one to beholdtxduckhunter is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ryan
txduckhunter's Tacoma Gallery
Dear Lord run away from the Dodge as fast as you can. Don't even think about it. You'll regret it. Escape while you still can!!!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
Underprepared and Overconfident
DubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DubyaDawg's Tacoma Gallery
For what you're saying it seems like the Taco fits your needs better. Then again I've never really been a Dodge fan...
Old 01-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
BackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to behold
Name: Adam
BackwoodsBoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubyaDawg View Post
For what you're saying it seems like the Taco fits your needs better. Then again I've never really been a Dodge fan...
I am a dodge fan (i have an 01 ram 1500) and he's right... it sounds like the taco is a better fit for you. IMO they are both highly capible trucks
Old 01-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
kimo will become famous soon enough

Name: Darin
kimo's Tacoma Gallery
For a commute vehicle? why a truck?
Old 01-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
I've owned two Dodge 1500's, the second one only because the first one blew a tranny and front transfer case in the first several thousand miles.

The second one was starting to lose the tranny, bad slips under acceleration between 1st and 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.

I will never own another Ram pickup, which is sad because I love the look.

If I was going to go full size, F-150/250 without a doubt
Old 01-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
First , this is a Tacoma forum so you're going to get very biased opinions towards the tacoma. To me it sound's like the Tacoma will fit you better but if for some reason you decide to go Dodge don't even think about the gas motors a Cummins diesel motor is the only way to go. If you want a full sized I'd go with a Silverado Diesel or F150.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
fadippides is on a distinguished road
fadippides's Tacoma Gallery
Are you hard on your trucks?

Do you drive a lot of miles?

How long do you plan on owning?

I wanted a truck when I was looking and the full size trucks were nicer (and about the same price). I know I can be hard on a truck at times (but all the maintenance is done to the letter). I also drive about 35K a year. With those 2 factors, for me the tacoma made more sense since I tend to hold on vehicles for a very long time.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
Quo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Paul
Quo Fan's Tacoma Gallery
When I was looking for my truck,I asked on another forum, and everybody said (even a guy from Fenton Michigan) to get a Tacoma for a mid-sized truck, or a F-150 for a full sized. I personally drive a Tacoma, and for work I've been driving a rented Ram 1500. My i4 Taco gets 20-22 MPG, and the Ram was getting less than 15. YMMV.

I had, at different times during the project I'm on, Ram 1500, Chevy Silverado, and F 150. I liked the Ram better than the rest. I truly didn't like the ergonomics of the Silverado, and the Ford just felt "wrong" to me.

I drove '11 Tacos when I was in the market for mine, but I couldn't afford the one I really wanted. I got a '08 Access cab, base that I've upgraded some.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Do the Tacoma route...

I like Dodge Trucks though for full size...I won't own a Ford

Not saying I'd buy one, but they look nice. I dig the Power Wagon

Old 01-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
AlaskanTaco will become famous soon enough

AlaskanTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Those mpg stickers are never right! We had a quad cb big horn dodge come in and it was getting 9 mpg in town! Plus, dodges resell value NEVER hold. After 3 years, I will promise you, it will be worth bellow 15,000. You couldn't pay me to drive a dodge. Unless, it had a cummins.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo View Post
For a commute vehicle? why a truck?
This.

If you NEED a truck, then decide whether you actually need a full size or not. Additionally, the Ram was redesigned a couple years ago so naturally it's going to have better features than the Tacoma which has been around since '05 save for the bit of a facelift this year.

Don't have any real experience myself, a buddy of mine has a 2011 Ram Sport quad cab 4x4. It's a gorgeous truck in white with the chrome 20's.

In the end, get which one you like the best. Naturally your Dodge buddies are going to tell you to get the Dodge and most if not all here are going to say the Tacoma.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #15
Tacodan is on a distinguished road
Tacodan's Tacoma Gallery
TACOMA! Hands down! The Tacoma is going to last a lot longer and have a LOT better resale value in the longrun! Toyota outweighs Dodge any day friend..

You will regret it...just my 2 cents

Honestly...Get what you want and dont let your friends talk you into something they want...you have to make the payments! Not them... Theyll just be jealous that they didnt do the same...LOL
Old 01-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #17
ski-doo ride the best screw the rest!
Murph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant future

Army: 19D
Murph's Tacoma Gallery
Tundra?
Old 01-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #18
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
this lifted with 35"s
Old 01-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #19
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Not even a hard decision to make.

Toyota vs. anything else out there any day

Reliability and longevity ftw.

Those "small details" you mention are those little things they use to get you to buy the truck. They dont mean shit.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #20
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
Not even a hard decision to make.

Toyota vs. anything else out there any day

Reliability and longevity ftw.
x100000000000