Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tire Deal or Not deal...

View Poll Results: what tires to choose on the deal..
Keep the Dunlops. 5 25.00%
Go for the GY Silent Armors. 4 20.00%
GO for the BFG Rugged TAs 11 55.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Jholder70 has a spectacular aura aboutJholder70 has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Jholder70's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Deal or Not deal...

So I went to the dealer today to get an alignment because the steering wheel was off a little, while there I got the following prices:

With a trade in of my 265/65r17 dunlop crap tires (1236 miles on them)

Option 1: Goodyear Silent Armor P265/70r17 $975 total
or
Option 2: BFG Rugged TA P265/70r17 $595 total

good deal? whats the better deal? whats the better tire... I do spend 70% on the highway.

or

Attached Thumbnails
Tire Deal or Not deal...-bfgs.jpg   Tire Deal or Not deal...-goodies.jpg  
Old 01-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
fadippides is on a distinguished road
fadippides's Tacoma Gallery
Are those Rugged TAs the stock on the TRD OR? If so they are rugged fails and I cant wait to get rid of them
Old 01-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Haseaboggin is on a distinguished road

Name: Casey
Haseaboggin's Tacoma Gallery
STAY AWAY from the Rugged Fails!!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Actually, the stock Dunlops are great highway tires..
Old 01-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
As long as you don't do serious off-roading, the Wrangler Silent Armor is a great tire. They are expensive, and I don't think they are quite worth their price tag, but they are far better than the Rugged Fails. I'd see if you could talk him down a bit more on the Goodyears.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #6

Air Force:
I want to do the Good Years but the price is what is so attractive on the BFGs, but are they really as bad as everyone seems to say?

what has pissed you off about your "Rugged-Fails"?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #7

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
Actually, the stock Dunlops are great highway tires..
they ride fine on the highway, but the other day I was in the mud and snow... and that sucked a$$...

plus vanity makes me want to get a more macho tire!
Old 01-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
fadippides is on a distinguished road
fadippides's Tacoma Gallery
Havent had mine in the snow yet, but I am expecting poor traction. Not overly impressed on dry pavement. Look them up on tire rack
Old 01-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

What you posted pictures of are the Rugged Terrain, which is a fairly new offering from BFGoodrich. The Rugged Trail is what comes stock on TRD Off-Roads and is not that great of an off-road tire.

See the Surveys and Reviews sections on TireRack.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
RedTaco2134 will become famous soon enoughRedTaco2134 will become famous soon enough

Army: E-1
Name: Scott
RedTaco2134's Tacoma Gallery
the silent armor's are not a bad price.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #11

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
What you posted pictures of are the Rugged Terrain, which is a fairly new offering from BFGoodrich. The Rugged Trail is what comes stock on TRD Off-Roads and is not that great of an off-road tire.

See the Surveys and Reviews sections on TireRack.
Yes that is a quote for the Rugged Terrain TA - anyone here have those?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
Weapon Mechanic

Lots of good info in the Wheel and Tire section of the forums, specifically this thred:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...-t-update.html
Old 01-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
lundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
For the price of the Goodyears I feel like you could get some other really good choices and for less. Hankook RF10's, Nitto Terra (or Dura's for more quiet) Grapplers or Bridgestone Revo 2 AT's... That's just me though.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
I'd get the Goodyear Wranglers
Old 01-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #15
zachc113 will become famous soon enough

zachc113's Tacoma Gallery
My friend had the goodyears and they needed to be replace after 30k miles
Old 01-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #17
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
First mistake is buying tires from a dealership. Second is considering Goodyear. They are nice tires but they cost a fortune and there a plenty of tires just as good if not better for a lot less. Nearly a grand for 17's? Screw that. I bought a set of 285/50/20 Hankooks for 800. And that wasn't even the best deal I could find. I just liked the shop.

Try discount tire or discount tire direct.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #18

Air Force:
Does anyone ever feel bad taking tires you bought online to a tire shop to have them put them on???

Just curious?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #19
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Have you looked at Michelin? I had some of the A/T's on my 2wd 06. They seemed like good tires. The M/S are good for 70,000 miles. Myself I would never buy anything but Goodyear or Michelin. I have never had other brands last like they do.

LTX® M/S2
SUV/Crossover, Light Truck
ALL SEASON TIRE

The MICHELIN® LTX® M/S2 tire offers an exceptional combination of performances for light trucks and SUVs.
Our Best-Selling Light Truck Tire.
Michelin Performance Rating:

WEAR LIFE
FUEL EFFICIENCY
OFF ROAD
BRAKING
COMFORT
Average User Ratings:

Read 616 User Tire ReviewsWrite a Review

Options Available: [2]
Locate a dealer that carries this tire line
Tire Warranties:

LTX® A/T2
SUV/Crossover, Light Truck
ALL SEASON TIRE

Our tough, longest lasting all-season on-off road tire offers excellent off-road traction and durability with uncompromising on-road comfort and handling.
Michelin Performance Rating:

WEAR LIFE
FUEL EFFICIENCY
OFF ROAD
BRAKING
COMFORT
Old 01-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #20
Weapon Mechanic

Nope. Done it a few times. With the ability to buy tires cheaper online, local tire shops have to expect that some people are going to purchase their own stuff and bring it in. The closest tire shop to me charges $1 per rim inch per tire to mount and balance.

Products Discussed in this Thread