Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

UWS Low Profile Black Toolbox installed

Old 12-04-2008, 05:36 AM   #21
SHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of light

SHunter080703's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #22
Billy Reuben
Punisher has a spectacular aura aboutPunisher has a spectacular aura about
Punisher's Tacoma Gallery
I had same questions when I installed mine. It was a Kobalt from Lowes (by BetterBuilt). I just drilled new holes closer to the rail so the j hooks were not at such a radical angle. I know what you mean though, it seems precarious, but really is not as the box is on there real tight.

One enhancement I did do was, instead of the regular bolts, I used bar knobs I think they are called. They are bolts that are embedded into a black plasic t-handle, for quick on and off w/o a wrench. Wish I had a pic right now but I don't.

Nice box though you have, the black looks good. John
Old 06-16-2009, 06:20 AM   #23
dmciii is on a distinguished road
dmciii's Tacoma Gallery
does anyone know if that deep low profile uws box in the pictures will fit in a double cab with a long bed?
Old 06-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #24
romeo oscar bravo
zero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nice

Name: Rob
zero niner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmciii View Post
does anyone know if that deep low profile uws box in the pictures will fit in a double cab with a long bed?
Yes it will, you can always search the UWS website for pics and specs. Both the regular and deep boxes fit the Tacoma. Buy local, shipping these beasts are a pain!

Rob
Old 06-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #25
Defying Alliances since 2007
TacoTurd will become famous soon enoughTacoTurd will become famous soon enough

TacoTurd's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same box.

Your mounting is probably OK. You could have made the holes a little closer to the lip and just used the two J-bolts. They really don't want to move after installed, esp. if you used the foam pads on the upper bed rail.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #26
WVUtacoma is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 130th Aerial Port Operations - 130th LRS/APO
Name: Jeremy
WVUtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
FINALLY, found a good deal.

For anyone who is interested I just found this exact model number on amazon.com with free shipping.

The total cost for me was $338.92.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #28
bigal3967 is on a distinguished road
bigal3967's Tacoma Gallery
great looking box
Old 03-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #29
NEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
NEAScott's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...installed.html

Nice post with good pics. Shipping will always be hit-or-miss regardless of what is being ordered.

I have one here, $365 to your door w/ insured shipping.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #30
USAONE is on a distinguished road
USAONE's Tacoma Gallery
I mounted mine with two J hooks per side. There are slots underneath the bed rail. Very stable with two per side.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #31
creedler is on a distinguished road

Name: Max
creedler's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't use J hooks at all for that exact reason. It looks like you have the bed rail mounting system. Try this:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...g-j-hooks.html

Scroll down to the bottom of page one and look at the write up AG4892 did with the carriage bolts. I made and used one of those brackets on both sides and the rear of the box. I think the carriage bolts i used were only 2" long. You would have to rip the rails off to even move the box if you were a thief! very secure. Let me know if you have any questions or want me to post some pics.

EDIT: Just looked at the the date of OP's post. I'm sure you figured it out over the last three years haha
Old 03-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #32
drcarp is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Jet Mech
Name: David
drcarp's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=creedler;4765797]I didn't use J hooks at all for that exact reason. It looks like you have the bed rail mounting system. Try this:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...g-j-hooks.html

Scroll down to the bottom of page one and look at the write up AG4892 did with the carriage bolts. I made and used one of those brackets on both sides and the rear of the box. I think the carriage bolts i used were only 2" long. You would have to rip the rails off to even move the box if you were a thief! very secure. Let me know if you have any questions or want me to post some pics.

I like the way you did that. Happen to know what size the metal plates were?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #33
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
I found images on Amazon of the lid up, and there is hardly any clearance at all between the lid and the rear window. I have a CleanBreeze truck window screen on my sliding rear window, and it sticks out an inch or so from the rear window assembly.

How far toward the back of the bed could you slide the UWS box before it hits the wheel wells in the longer (6') bed?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #34
Maximuslion is on a distinguished road

Maximuslion's Tacoma Gallery
toolbox install

just picked up mine yesterday, gonna install this weekend. I also don't like the j-hook issue previously mentioned so i will install using either carriage bolts or U-bolt through my bed rail. My question is, once i drill the holes through my bed rails is rustoleum and acceptable spray to spray in the holes to protect the bare metal edges from rusting later ?????
Attached Thumbnails
UWS Low Profile Black Toolbox installed-p1010007.jpg   UWS Low Profile Black Toolbox installed-p1010015.jpg   UWS Low Profile Black Toolbox installed-p1010017.jpg