Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

UWS Low Profile Black Toolbox installed

Old 11-29-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
UWS Low Profile Black Toolbox installed

I just installed my new UWS box yesterday. Its a great looking toolbox but im not to happy with how i installed it. I used the two j bolts that it came with and two more clamp-type things i put together in my basement. Its in place and it doesnt seem like its going to move at all but I just dont like how the bolts go off on weird angles on the inside of the box. The last two pics should help you guys see what im talking about. Any suggestions or is this just how it has to be.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
El Pitufo
Marioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
that looks dope, i work construction so thats something i would invest in...what did it set u back and where did u buy?
Old 11-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
thanks, it was $350, i just went to www.uwsta.com and looked up places where they were sold. i ended up having to drive an hour away from where i live but i think it was worth it, i couldnt find any in black where i lived and ive heard noting but good things about UWS.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
El Pitufo
Marioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
cool...alot of space? i have my tools in milkcrates in the bed of my truck...nothing stolen yet thankfully
Old 11-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
College.

i believe the specs say 7.1 cubic ft
Old 11-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
She's Kickass!
gavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to behold

gavonder's Tacoma Gallery
Is there some way that you can get a piece of aluminum cut to slide into the track and stick out enough to accept the bolt?

Just a thought.

GA
Old 11-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
College.

i couldnt really align it too well vertical, theres a little lip on the inside of the box that just happens to be where the bolts would need to be so they could be vertical. not sure if that makes sense to anyone but if you look at the third pic you can see the lip. the bolts i used in the front are just regular bolts that i put a metal bracket on, i believe its an extra piece that goes to my garage door opener. i would have just bought more j bolts but i couldnt find any that fit. ill keep looking around whenever im in home depot and probably eventually replace my home made ones.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
El Pitufo

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
what kind of work do u do
Old 11-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
She's Kickass!
gavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to behold

gavonder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavonder View Post
Is there some way that you can get a piece of aluminum cut to slide into the track and stick out enough to accept the bolt?

Just a thought.

GA
Like this - this is my cap mount.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/s...00/ppuser/3825
Old 11-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
College.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioso View Post
what kind of work do u do
im currently unemployed...i was in the Marines for 5 years and got out recently. Im in the process of re-enlisting right now though. I got the box just to have more weatherproof storage instead of keeping things in the backseat (which is small enough on the access cab). I plan on keeping my cargo straps, bungee cords, jumper cables, and a duffle bag with assorted things.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #11
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
I need one of those bad! That looks sweet man!
Old 11-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #12
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
I used the heaviest 'J' bolts i could find within reason and cut about a little over an 1/8" inch of the hook end off with a dremel and the grinder attachment (cut within about 8-10 seconds per) to allow the hook to fit in square and as a result, the threaded end to come straight up into the box.

I bought 4 and put 2 on each side. I simply eyed then and drilled my holes to miss the bed rail by 1/2" -3/4". Piece of cake and holds tight inside the rail.

Cost of stainless hardware including 'J' bolts, 4 lock washers and 4 nuts was under $7 as i remember.

I got my hardware at 'Hectors Hardware' (chain) and got the heaviest i could get with the thought i would trim off the hook end to allow a vertical post into the box.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #13
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
I got the same tool box for around 125 off craigslist and it sure comes in handy. I only have the j bolts on too. What I am going to do is screw into the back of the tool box into the bed with a self tapping screws and then silicone around it the holes I drill for weatherproofing. Right now the j bolts seem sturdy but if someone wanted they could man handle the tool box out of the bed.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #14
Mustache May
MacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of light

MacTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Can you post the toolbox part number, or serial number?

Is there any way that you might know if the same toolbox will fit over the wheelwells on a shortbed?
Old 11-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #15
College.

the part number is TBS-63-A-LP-BLK and yes it will fit the shortbed...in fact that pic above your post is the same box in DC SB
Old 11-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #16
Mustache May
MacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of light

MacTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Oh. Great. I was trying to decide between UWS, and the husky that I can get at Home Depot. I'm sure UWS probably has better quality.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #17
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTaco View Post
Oh. Great. I was trying to decide between UWS, and the husky that I can get at Home Depot. I'm sure UWS probably has better quality.
Plus a lifetime warranty (as long as you keep the receipts).
Old 11-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #18
bwhit is on a distinguished road
bwhit's Tacoma Gallery
take a dremmel tool with a connical grinding head. Expand the shape of the hole in the box into a slot as close to the lip as possible...grind the washer off square on one side. This should give you another half inch or so from the looks of the picture. That might be all you need.

you can also start the slot by drilling another hole in the box right next to the lip..this will ensure you don't over grind into the lip.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #19
frankrizzo1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrankrizzo1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrankrizzo1 has a spectacular aura about

frankrizzo1's Tacoma Gallery
sharp looking toolbox!
Old 11-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #20
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
mines bolted through the toolbox through the bed rail...