Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bestop vs Softopper

Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
blueburban6 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nick
blueburban6's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Bestop vs Softopper

I am looking into getting a soft cap for my Taco. Does anyone have any comments or concerns on either of the two: Bestop or Softopper?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
DblD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
DblD's Tacoma Gallery
Iíve got the Softopper on my truck. I was initially concerned about visibility with no windows in the side panels. I find myself relying on the side mirrors more than I had before. Not a big deal and I just like the look of the solid side panels. The fit of the Softopper is great and I only get water in the bed when the high pressure car-wash wand is pointed directly at the Velcro closures.

dd
Old 01-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
SoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
SoJersey's Tacoma Gallery
i also have been looking at these and want to buy one.

are there ones with zippers and not velcro? like to make it like a jeep soft top?
Old 01-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblD View Post
Iíve got the Softopper on my truck. I was initially concerned about visibility with no windows in the side panels. I find myself relying on the side mirrors more than I had before. Not a big deal and I just like the look of the solid side panels. The fit of the Softopper is great and I only get water in the bed when the high pressure car-wash wand is pointed directly at the Velcro closures.

dd

Thanks. I have been leaning more twords the softopper. Your truck looks great.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #5
Geo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
Geo Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I am also running a Softopper. I love it, have camped in it once so far and it was great.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
Love my bestop, windows zip out so I can have just a canopy, folds down to haul my motorcycle around and closes up to protect my crap, or if I want to sleep back there.....its a great thing.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #9

With the Softopper it appears that you need to apply velcro to the tailgate to fasten it closed. Is that correct? How does the Bestop fasten to the tailgate?
Old 01-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
Wicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud of

Wicked 2007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueburban6 View Post
With the Softopper it appears that you need to apply velcro to the tailgate to fasten it closed. Is that correct? How does the Bestop fasten to the tailgate?

Correct on the Softopper - velcro works great, although you dont really need it.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #11
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
i have the bestop. i find that the windows are kind of tough to get on and off, and you HAVE to remove them to fold it down, I think that the softtopper sides roll up so you can fold it down. The "windows" are very dark so night visibilty is very poor and in the rain its worse. that being said I love it, i use it all summer but remove it when it gets cold because the fabric gets hard and shrinks. overall I would recommend it though, its just right for my needs, and i got it for $250 on craigslist
Old 01-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #12

Without the velcro on the tailgate would it flop around and scratch the gate?
Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #13
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
the bestop has a metal bar that runs across (above) the tailgate that the back window anchors too. It also has a seal that mates with the tailgate.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
i have the bestop. i find that the windows are kind of tough to get on and off, and you HAVE to remove them to fold it down, I think that the softtopper sides roll up so you can fold it down. The "windows" are very dark so night visibilty is very poor and in the rain its worse. that being said I love it, i use it all summer but remove it when it gets cold because the fabric gets hard and shrinks. overall I would recommend it though, its just right for my needs, and i got it for $250 on craigslist
I keep looking on Craigslist and hoping to find one but never any luck so I will just buy new. Visibilty is not a concern for me I generally use my mirrors any way. My concern is that I dont want anything rubbing on the paint of my truck. Did you have any issues running it during the winter or you just take it off to be safe?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #15
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i take it off and put my tonneau on in october so i can transport my 1985 honda 3 wheeler in the bed, in the summer i use my trailer. im pretty sure if i folded it down in the winter it would not go back up and the windows would not go on
Old 01-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #16
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
I love my bestop, bought it maybe a month after my truck from streetsideauto and have run it as a canopy, a cap, folded with a bike inside, and without. easy install and un-install. I have no regrets.

I would think that the softopper vs bestop would all just depend on if you like the look of windows or not on the sides, if you need the windows or not, and if you have the ability to store windows (like said bestops windows must be removed and stowed to fold down)
Old 01-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #17

Quote:
i take it off and put my tonneau on in october so i can transport my 1985 honda 3 wheeler in the bed, in the summer i use my trailer. im pretty sure if i folded it down in the winter it would not go back up and the windows would not go on
Which Honda 3 wheeler do you have? I have a 1984 Honda Big Red, 1986 Honda Big Red, 2010 Honda 400X and a 2008 Foreman 500s. Love my Honda's.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueburban6 View Post
Which Honda 3 wheeler do you have? I have a 1984 Honda Big Red, 1986 Honda Big Red, 2010 Honda 400X and a 2008 Foreman 500s. Love my Honda's.

i have an 85 and 86 250SX. 2 of my buddies have 85 250sx's and one has an 87 Big Red. i love them, i have had a few more over the years but i love the ones i have, they still run perfect. I have an 87 SX is peices right now, started a full refurb with my best friend but he passed away in a car accident this summer so i dont know what im gunna do with it
Old 01-19-2012, 05:27 AM   #19

Quote:
i have an 85 and 86 250SX. 2 of my buddies have 85 250sx's and one has an 87 Big Red. i love them, i have had a few more over the years but i love the ones i have, they still run perfect. I have an 87 SX is peices right now, started a full refurb with my best friend but he passed away in a car accident this summer so i dont know what im gunna do with it
Sorry to hear about your friend. I would complete the resto in his honor if I was you. The Honda's are the best. Over the years I have had a few 250sx's.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #20

I was leaning twords the Softopper but after looking into it more I like the way the Bestop rear window sits on top of the tailgate, I like the way the roofline of the Bestop doesnt raise up in the back, I like the zippers, and I like the windows. So far the best price I got was from www.4wheelparts.com @ $530.99 delivered.