1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold weather starting

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rplumb, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Jan 17, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    rplumb

rplumb [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    anaheim
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD SPORT LB 4x4
    My 2006 seems to have abit of trouble starting when the weather gets abit chilly maybe 30 and below, the battery is just an autozone special (which is probably my problem) I live in Socal and I never really worry about it unless Im going to big bear, any opinions on a good battery? I was thinking optima.

2. Jan 17, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    Yellow or red top. I think red has more cranking amps even yellow is designed for higher aftermarket support (Off-road lights), etc.

3. Jan 17, 2012 at 4:05 PM
    Tylerm5000

Tylerm5000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7l reg cab 4x4 5-speed red pearl
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    Yellow is designed for high drain cycles. So they basically work better if you are running electronics that take on high loads. Red tops are starter batteries and are good for only stock electronics and lights. They don't like to be drained and recharged in real-time like a yellow top does.

4. Jan 17, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    If you buy your optima from advanced auto online you'll get free shipping and if you use the code "VISA" you get 50 bucks off.

From advanced auto;

Optima yellowtop specs;

Battery Type:Sprial AGM BCI Group Size: 275/25 Cold Cranking Amps:620 ampsCranking Amps:770 ampsDeep Cycle/Starting / Deep Cycle Height:7 5/8 inLength:9 5/16 inMaintenance Free:Yes Reserve Capacity:100 minTerminal Type:Top Terminal Voltage:12 vWeight:37 lbsWidth:6 13/16 in
    Optima redtop specs;

Battery Type:Sprial AGM BCI Group Size:35 Cold Cranking Amps:720 ampsCranking Amps:910 ampsDeep Cycle/Starting:Starting Height:8 13/16 inLength:9 11/16 inMaintenance Free:Yes Reserve Capacity:90 minTerminal Type:Top Terminal Voltage:12 vWeight:34 lbsWidth:6 7/8 in

5. Jan 17, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    Tylerm5000

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    I have had some red tops go bad. They have a chip or a fuse in them that just makes them quit working if something goes wrong. However, this was on a 77 Ford, which could have had voltage problems (ha ha.)

I think they are great batteries. The guys at Autozone talked me out of them. Thanks for trying to sell me a battery that costs twice as much... Not.

6. Jan 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM
    rplumb

rplumb [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    anaheim
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD SPORT LB 4x4
    is there a disadvantage to getting the yellow top for just the stock elctronics? planning on getting a few lights on the front, but not much else, basically i want something that will start in any weather.

7. Jan 29, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    Tylerm5000

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    The red top is better for stock. The yellow top won't be any stronger. It will just handle higher drain cycles better than the red because the red is designed to deliver maximum amps during start up.

Products Discussed in

To Top