Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rock Sliders Help – I know, I know, not another thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
yellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud of

yellowrubiu's Tacoma Gallery
Rock Sliders Help – I know, I know, not another thread

I want to get a set of bolt on sliders for my 2012 DCSB taco and been looking at all the different ones that are available out there as I search the various threads on the site. All I can say is that it is awesome that we have so many to choose from and I'll also say that it sucks having so many choices because I can't make up my mind However, I'm down to a short list and almost ready to pull the trigger but in looking at them I came up with a question I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

As I was looking through the ones on my shortlist I noticed that the attachment plates vary between them. Some have the plates that bolt to the side and bottom of the frame rail at all the attachment points and on others it is a mix of some attaching to the side and bottom, and other plates just the side. I was hoping I can get your opinion/view on which approach do you think would be structurally stronger and whether the difference between the two attachment approaches is that significant to make me choose one vs. the other?

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
rcrazy is on a distinguished road
rcrazy's Tacoma Gallery
PM DWreck, from las Vegas, he makes the best bolt on sliders.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
Depends what company you are getting your sliders with as well as the surface area and reinforcement.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
When looking at bolt on sliders the ones with a L bracket that attach at the bottom of the frame are going to be stronger. I wouldn't go for bolt on sliders that just bolt onto the side of the frame. It causes too much stress on the side of the frame.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Chances are your plans for your truck don't include coming down HARD on giant rocks frequently or you'd be going for the strongest damn sliders you can find. Most of the styles will be fine for lifting off and coming down on rocks and sliding on rocks, weekend warrior on 33s with stock bumpers and such. If you're going full 1/4" plate skids, plate bumpers, and plan to beat the hell out of your truck go the strongest you can.

I wouldn't worry about the side of the frame. Many weld on sliders just weld on to the side of the frame with scab plates and gussets. The surface area on the backing plates is probably a little bit smaller on bolt ons but I wouldn't stress it too much.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be getting Relentless Fabrication Sliders with kickout
Old 01-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
Likely any of the attatchements are going to be stronger than the frame rails themselves, stiffer at least, since they are made of heavier material. The frame will twist a bit no matter what when the truck is supported on the slider, that is where most of the deflection seems to come from. I would think you would want to spread that stress over a larger area with larger mounting plates if possible. As far as the "L" brackets go I doubt they provide any more useable strength. The frame is going to twist just the same with or without.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
My only recommendation is to get ones with a kick-out in the rear to help keep the bedsides off the rocks and trees.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:09 AM   #9
yellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud of

yellowrubiu's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you very much everyone for all you responses, very helpful.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
Goose
h.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Zack
h.zack801's Tacoma Gallery
While this is fairly fresh, I'd like to ask something rather than start a new thread.

I want to get some rock sliders as well. Now the added bonus of them protecting my truck from getting on rocks (or anything else that might try to attack that area) is great. But my number one reason is to prevent inconsiderate assholes from dingin up my doors when I park in these itty-bitty spaces to go to class and what-not. It seems that some brands stick out far enough to handle the radii of the typical door and keep it from hitting mine and putting that heart-wrenching paint chip or ding.

Is this my imagination? Or do regular tube step rails come out just as far as the ones I'm talking about? The sliders sure look a hell of a lot more attractive visually.

Thanks to anybody who can help answer my questions.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The combination of lifting your truck and added sliders will help protect from doors. I can't say exactly how far out tube steps come but my sliders stick out far enough to protect from dings. I think in part because they angle up as well.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
Colossians 3:2
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ethan
PreRunner03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.zack801 View Post
Is this my imagination? Or do regular tube step rails come out just as far as the ones I'm talking about? The sliders sure look a hell of a lot more attractive visually.

Thanks to anybody who can help answer my questions.
The other day this guy put their friend's Ford explorer front passenger door into my truck with me standing right in front of him and he didn't apologize. Moral of the story: I want sliders and not just tube steps like I've got. Sliders look to be the best option for protecting truck doors from jerks and rocks. The way doors are cut out and assembled, there is a curve at the bottom of the door, sliders will generally come up to catch the door whereas tube steps can't.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
Goose
h.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Zack
h.zack801's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreRunner03 View Post
The other day this guy put their friend's Ford explorer front passenger door into my truck with me standing right in front of him and he didn't apologize. Moral of the story: I want sliders and not just tube steps like I've got. Sliders look to be the best option for protecting truck doors from jerks and rocks. The way doors are cut out and assembled, there is a curve at the bottom of the door, sliders will generally come up to catch the door whereas tube steps can't.
I hate to hear that. It's a shame folks are like that nowadays.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
strongest sliders you can get would be domello rock crushers. 2" square tube sliders and they word awesome for a step.

weld on is my preference and most companies will suggest weld on for strongest results.

also, the kickout design is opinion based and controversial. Yes it will help protect your bedside and cab but not in all situations. And many times the kickout will prevent you from getting through tighter areas and in some cases may push your truck sideways when you wouldnt want that. My advice is having a vertical kick up to protect the side of the truck without sticking out and hindering you.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #15
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.zack801 View Post
I hate to hear that. It's a shame folks are like that nowadays.
Eh, there was a little smudge but after splashing through mud and washing it, I couldn't find the smudge Had it been the guy's vehicle, I would have considered putting my boot into his door or plasti dipping his windshield but it was his friend's. These people are consistantly rude to me, not always intentionally but I just kinda got over it. The real world is gonna be worse I guess so I might as well look over the crappy parts of high school.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #16
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
i was at the grocery store waiting for my wife when some asshat swung his door and smacked the hell out of the slider HARD, hard enough to put a crease in his door edge and into hit my door and i said WTF. He said, look at the truck you wouldnt notice anyway (which is probably true), instead of apologizing and walked inside. I cranked hard when backing out when I left and put a huge scratch all the way down the side of his car with the front bumper, theres still red paint on my slider, door, and bumper from his car LOL
Old 01-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
i was at the grocery store waiting for my wife when some asshat swung his door and smacked the hell out of the slider HARD, hard enough to put a crease in his door edge and into hit my door and i said WTF. He said, look at the truck you wouldnt notice anyway (which is probably true), instead of apologizing and walked inside. I cranked hard when backing out when I left and put a huge scratch all the way down the side of his car with the front bumper, theres still red paint on my slider, door, and bumper from his car LOL
Why didn't he even care about his car?! What was he driving?
Old 01-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
fuck yeah
Old 01-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #19

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreRunner03 View Post
Why didn't he even care about his car?! What was he driving?
it was a newish looking ford.

i think he was more pissed about his car so he was mad at me for the damage to his car? idk...

i always travel so i park in tight airport parking lots and every time i come home i see new paint on the armor somewhere lol!

my front tow hooks paint is chipped to death from people pulling into the front of my truck. I have bad luck but it doesnt hurt anything, more comical than anything...

i do have about 20 dings in my fenders but cant tell whats from parking lots and trails... My hilift has been the worst offender for marks on my truck lol!