1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tranny, Diff(s), and Transfer Case Fluids

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SLOsquirrel, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Jan 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    SLOsquirrel

SLOsquirrel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OR 4x4 6-Spd Access Cab
    Icon Mid-Travel w/ Billet UCA's, All-Pro Expo's w/ Icon Resi Shocks, ARB Bumper w/ Warn M8000 Winch, Method NV's w/ 285/75 R17 BFG BFG AT KO2's, TC Gussets (spindle, shock towers, LCA cam tabs, etc), DMZ Engine Mount Gussets.
    What is the recommended service intervals for the Tranny, Diff(s), and Transfer Case Fluids in the Tacoma?

Bought a 2005 Tacoma 6-spd TRD OR 4x4 about a month ago with 61k on it (it now has 62k).

The girl I bought it from was RELIGIOUS about getting it serviced at the dealer (she just had the brakes, plugs, and tires replaced at 59k) but I'm having trouble determining if it's had the tranny, diff(s) and transfer case serviced. I'm still reviewing the service records (which are kinda cryptic) but was wondering what mile marker Toyota would've "recommended" this at, and if there's specific wording in the records I should be looking for.

I'm gonna switch to Amsoil synthetic (unless someone has a better recommendation) by the end of the month (just put synthetic in the engine last weekend). But I'm driving to Tahoe tomorrow (700 mile round trip) for the weekend and am not gonna have time to take care of it before I leave. I know the truck will make it just fine, and at this point I guess it's a null point, I guess it's more for a little piece of mind.

Thanks for the help guys!

2. Jan 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    IIRC, it's every 30k miles

3. Jan 18, 2012 at 3:02 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I believe the Owner's Manual says 'inspect' the differential fluid every 15k miles but never says to change it.

I changed the differentials and transfer case at 30k miles and the transmission at 60k miles. Even if the fluids have never been changed, I would doubt any damage has been done unless she was using 4wd regularly (assuming everything still works as it should).

4. Jan 18, 2012 at 3:07 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Always use the latest maintenance booklet. Sometimes the fluid change intervals are reduced as problems are discovered in service. So use the 2012 booklet:

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-12Tacoma/xhtml/T-MMS-12Tacoma_0001.html?locale=en

Front and rear diff fluid are to be replaced at 15K or 18 mo if you are towing, otherwise they are "on-condition".

Transfer case oil is to be replaced at 30K or 36 mo.

Manual transmission fluid is to be replaced at 30K or 36 mo. if you are towing, otherwise it is "on-condition".

5. Jan 18, 2012 at 3:08 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    But a lot of the differential fluids say on the bottle 'with LSD additive' or something like that. It's ok to use those in a differential without LSD.

6. Jan 19, 2012 at 6:39 AM
    SLOsquirrel

SLOsquirrel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OR 4x4 6-Spd Access Cab
    Icon Mid-Travel w/ Billet UCA's, All-Pro Expo's w/ Icon Resi Shocks, ARB Bumper w/ Warn M8000 Winch, Method NV's w/ 285/75 R17 BFG BFG AT KO2's, TC Gussets (spindle, shock towers, LCA cam tabs, etc), DMZ Engine Mount Gussets.
    Thanks for all the replys guys.

Flipped through the service manual and it says "check" but only says "change" if towing.

I don't think the hitch has ever been used on this thing, and the 21 y/o girl wasn't off-roading it much.

I'm still gonna put all synthetics in it by the end of the month. But it's gonna be making the trek to Tahoe first.

Leaving in 4hrs. Should be a 7hr drive, and it's supposed to be dumping snow! Haven't had to use the 4x4 yet so I'm looking forward to this adventure!

Products Discussed in

To Top