Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Just Bought 2012 Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
JonnyGonePlaid is on a distinguished road
JonnyGonePlaid's Tacoma Gallery
Just Bought 2012 Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport

What's up TACO world. First post on this forum just wanted to say hey. Just bought a Green Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport. Bought this to replace my VW GTI which was having trouble keeping up with a lifestyle of mountain biking and camping. Needed something to get up nasty mountain roads and be able to carry a few bikes, dudes and camping gear as well.

If you had $1500 to drop on your new Tacoma what would you do? I know it's not a lot but it's the great recession and well, actually, that has nothing to do with it, I just got $1500 to drop into it plain and simple.

Is there a good 3 inch sus lift I could get? I'd like to upgrade the following in no particular order:

Lift
Tires
Exhaust
Intake (worth it?)

Anyways, any input is appreciated.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
iwant1 is on a distinguished road
iwant1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGonePlaid View Post
What's up TACO world. First post on this forum just wanted to say hey. Just bought a Green Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport. Bought this to replace my VW GTI which was having trouble keeping up with a lifestyle of mountain biking and camping. Needed something to get up nasty mountain roads and be able to carry a few bikes, dudes and camping gear as well.

If you had $1500 to drop on your new Tacoma what would you do? I know it's not a lot but it's the great recession and well, actually, that has nothing to do with it, I just got $1500 to drop into it plain and simple.

Is there a good 3 inch sus lift I could get? I'd like to upgrade the following in no particular order:

Lift
Tires
Exhaust
Intake (worth it?)

Not sure what I would do with the $1500, but.....good choice on the DCLB TRD Sport. Welcome to the forum.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
JU Boi is on a distinguished road
JU Boi's Tacoma Gallery

Let's see ur new ride
Old 01-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
Irish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Irish020's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome, my '05 TRD Sport 4DLB is still running strong!!! You need to figure out and get pics posted.....after all we are visually oriented beings.....

Old 01-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
Arg, ok guys, pics coming this weekend. Getting it tinted Saturday morning, 5% rear windows and probably 18% or so for front two. I'll take pictures when they're finished.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Functionally, tires would be a good start if you need to get through some nasty terrain. You could sell off your old brand new tires for some $$$ also. The intake and exhaust won't do much except give you some more noise, gains will be minimal so personally I'd hold off on those and do the lift second.

Oh, and
Old 01-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGonePlaid View Post

Lift
Tires
Exhaust
Intake (worth it?)

Get some simple things first like:

Weathertec or husky floor mats (keeps the mud out of the carpet)

Seat covers

Bed mat (stuff slides around like crazy in the plastic bed)

or you could go big and get a lift or shell?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
Space For Rent
Bloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: EN3 (SW/AW) 94-98
Name: Greg
Bloodhound's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW

Congratulations on your new truck. About what you want to do:

Lift-if you hit a lot of backroads or trails then a lift might be a good idea to keep the mud-flaps from dragging and get you some clearance underneath...depends on how "off-road" you get.

Tires-kinda dependent on, once again, how "off-road" you are getting. I'd try to wear them out first and get your moneys worth out of them.

Exhaust-opinions vary greatly on this.

Intake-the truck already has a cold air intake so a simple AFE Pro Dry drop in is what I run.

As pointed out above, get a bed mat, good floor mats and some seat covers if you get dirty while riding/camping...protect that investment.

Check out the FAQ's and under the categories there are sticky's to help you along the way. The search function on here is pretty good for finding answers to specific things.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #10
Faryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mic
Faryota's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome...lots of great info here!!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
welcome... with the money you got, rims/tires would be a good start
Old 01-20-2012, 05:25 AM   #13
Thanks everyone, after transporting a yakima bicycle roof rack in the bed of my truck last night I can tell you for sure that I'll be getting a bed mat. Good god did that thing slide around. I have no qualms with the current all weather mats so I'll probably just keem em. Seat covers for sure, after lots of these bike rides I am covered in mud, esp my back side. Add to that I have a dog that comes with me and his nails seem like they would tear into the perforated cloth seats really easily. Any recommendations on a good fitting high quality seat cover?

I'd rather get the lift before the tires as I will want larger tires after I get the lift. I'll do a search for this but I wonder how large a tire the stock 17 inch wheel can take. I have no issue with the rim, just want some good rubber and definitely a 3 inch sus lift. Looking at the OME sus lift on Toytec's website per another thread I was reading on this forum. After that I'll wear out the stock tires and probably put some pro comp all terrains on there. I believe I read that a 33 is the largest you can fit with a 3 inch lift with no rub.

Anyways, going to take some pictures today after she gets a bath cause, I mean, we all know pics or it didn't happen.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:36 AM   #14
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Wet Okole seat covers. WT floor liners. Bedrail fork mount.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #15
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't to a lift just yet, don't wanna give the dealership any excuse to void your warranty.

I would do;

Exhaust - Some power gain depending on system
Intake- TRD or KN will most likely not yield any power gain, very minimal, just for sound really.
Weathertech floorliners - Cheaper to replace these than the carpet of the truck, they are a blessing.
New wheels- if you think that the normal sport ones are ugly

I wouldn't replace the tires unless you have a buyer lined up for your stockers. Just wear em out.

And drop a K/N air filter while your at it.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:44 AM   #16
Monkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud of
Marines:
Monkeyboy's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=JonnyGonePlaid;4393949]. Add to that I have a dog that comes with me and his nails seem like they would tear into the perforated cloth seats really easily. Any recommendations on a good fitting high quality seat cover?
/QUOTE]

The TRD seats are pretty amazingly resilient. Your dog won't hurt them, but he might stink them up a bit.

Anyway, I used a hammock like this - it worked really well. It wasn't too much of a pain to stow when I wasn't using it, and kept the dogs from falling down into the space between the seats, plus, obviously, acting as a mud cover over the seats.

Grats on the new ride.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:46 AM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Wet Okole seat covers. WT floor liners. Bedrail fork mount.
Wow, I didn't even know they made liners. Just looked at those on the WT website and they look so legit. Wet Okole seat covers for sure too. Bedrail fork mount.... I dunno so much about this. I have a 20mm thru axle on my fork and fork mounts only allow 9mm QR. I could buy the Yak adaptor for the 20mm but instead I'm going to get an upright bike rack by Thule called the insta-gator.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat View Post
I wouldn't to a lift just yet, don't wanna give the dealership any excuse to void your warranty.

I would do;

Exhaust - Some power gain depending on system
Intake- TRD or KN will most likely not yield any power gain, very minimal, just for sound really.
Weathertech floorliners - Cheaper to replace these than the carpet of the truck, they are a blessing.
New wheels- if you think that the normal sport ones are ugly

I wouldn't replace the tires unless you have a buyer lined up for your stockers. Just wear em out.

And drop a K/N air filter while your at it.
I was thinking magnaflow or banks on exhaust and a drop in TRD air filter. I really don't have any issues with the stock wheels.

Thanks for your input!
Old 01-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #19
billthebuilder is on a distinguished road
Name: Bill
billthebuilder's Tacoma Gallery
Congrads on the new truck
i bought mine a month ago and love it
mgm grey
bfg at kos got 525.00 $ out of my stock tires with 500 miles on them
tinted windows
window vents
advantage tri fold tonno and bed mat
im set for awhile
Attached Thumbnails
Just Bought 2012 Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport-1323716061820.jpg  
Old 01-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by billthebuilder View Post
Congrads on the new truck
i bought mine a month ago and love it
mgm grey
bfg at kos got 525.00 $ out of my stock tires with 500 miles on them
tinted windows
window vents
advantage tri fold tonno and bed mat
im set for awhile
Excuse my internet noobness but wtf is bfg at kos? BFG=BFGood? Kos=Costco?

I'd love to sell my new tires but have no idea who'd buy them.

Products Discussed in this Thread