1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5th Wheel Hitch Installed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jflames05, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Jun 10, 2012 at 11:30 AM
    jflames05

jflames05 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Greenville
    Vehicle:
    Silver 05 SR5 4x4 Lifted
    3" Toyo Tech Lift, 33x12.50 Toyo Open Country Mud Terrains on 18x9 Gear Double Pump, AFE Cold Air Intake System, Flow Master 40 Series Dual Exhast, Knaack Toolbox, Custom Tint/Graphics, Custom 5th Wheel Rails/Gooseneck Hitch, Rear View Camera, JBL Speaker System
    Since I completed the install I added a couple more upgrades, but will be making one more.

I added more Grade 5 bolts to the top, So a total of 16 bolted to the frame and 12 bolted to the plates.

For extra braking I did install previously EBC Yellow Stuff break pads with an upgraded set of brake rotors. I've also upgraded the brakes on the camper as well.

The biggest thing I want to add in the future is air bags. Haven't searched yet but I'm sure there is a write up with an install up here.

2. Mar 28, 2024 at 8:40 PM
    Mrsheetrock

Mrsheetrock New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    06 4cyl 5speed 4x4
    I realize this thread is over a decade old but I am hoping you could tell me how far the rear rail is from the end of the bed by the tailgate?
    Thank you

3. Mar 30, 2024 at 10:31 AM
    GREENBIRD56

GREENBIRD56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Casper / Tucson
    Vehicle:
    014 Taco 4Dr 4wd
    I put a "flip-over" gooseneck ball in the bed of my old F-150. Flopped - the bed was completely free for cargo. We took the bed off and built all of the re-inforcement crossmember into the frame with the ball mechanism exposed. For a few pounds of weight reduction when hauling it, I temporarily removed the tailgate and used a nylon webbing net across the opening. The original idea for using the gooseneck style ball was to allow ease of coupling in horrible off camber, ill aligned conditions in the woods. The ball was also rated for something like three or four times the tow capacity of the fifth wheel - not that I was going to use it, but just for the huge factor of safety if the truck and trailer were stuck.

Yes I know this thread is an old one!

Products Discussed in

To Top