Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What tire PSI should I run?

Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #41
Jetman1979 is on a distinguished road
Navy: E-6 retired
Name: Michael
Jetman1979's Tacoma Gallery
I like that chalk test I am going to do it as soon as it quits raining. I am at 35 on all four now. With 245/75R16 load range E.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #42
bowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant future

Name: Scott
bowhun2r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Just to add on an excellent pictorial on the subject. I would recommend doing this test on warm tires since that is how you would want the tire to be at it's optimum inflation. Of course we check our pressure when cold so if you are testing a tire at 35 psi cold and you then drive 5 miles or so then do the chalk test. If it shows you need to adjust then do so when the tires are cold again. Drive it till warm and test again. Sucks and takes longer but once you know your true base pressure you should be good to go. I've always thought a few pounds either way is not noticeable but with the Taco I can tell a very noticeable difference with as little as 3 psi. Of course all of this is only useful for us truly anal owners.
That last sentence made my morning! Why else would we be on this site Great thread and using the above I can now tell my tires are over inflated. Not sure if it has anything to do with my new UCA's and coil overs, but gives me a reason to tell the wife that I need new tires. My Nitto's didn't last as long as I thought (maybe due to the over inflation??). Only got about 23K out of them and they are getting a bit scary in the rain. This could be a side effect of the S/C
Old 04-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #43
daopi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaopi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaopi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaopi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaopi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaopi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaopi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaopi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaopi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaopi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaopi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
daopi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
[Original Tires Max Load Rating] * [Sticker's Recommended P.S.I.] / [Original Tires Max P.S.I.] * [New Tires Max P.S.I.] / [New Tires Max Load Rating].
Are you sure is right?
Old 04-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #44
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
Stock size? run what it says on the door jamb. Oversized? Use this load inflation chart.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf loadinflationtable.pdf (363.9 KB, 234 views)
Old 04-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #45
rtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
rtn1911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfast View Post
Stock size? run what it says on the door jamb. Oversized? Use this load inflation chart.
+1

I've noticed a lot of people assume you can run similar -- or lower -- pressure with an LT metric compared to a P metric. Not so.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #46
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
I had planned on lift and bigger tires, but stupid costco won't put anything other than stock tires on a vehicle because of liability, and all I'm really doing is adding cost and reducing mpgs. If I offroaded more I would be willing to pay, but oh well.

Also I don't care about the ride quality. I like to keep the tires aired up pretty high and get longer life and better economy.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #47
Fury is on a distinguished road
Fury's Tacoma Gallery
Hi all.

Stock Dunlops.
I set all 4 to 30 # as per the door plate, set the TPWS, then set them (and the spare) to the 40 # I run them at (they are 51 # max as per the sidewall).

Cheers
Ray.