Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What tire PSI should I run?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
What tire PSI should I run?

On the COSTCO website it says they ran 80 PSI in the Michelin X Radial LT2. I've heard to run 50 psi in Mastercraft truck tires, too. Is this correct? If someone that knows the truth about this, please chime in. Thanks.

Michelin - X® Radial LT2Item #: 508295
  • Club-Exclusive, Long-lasting, All-Season Traction for Pick-ups and SUVs
  • Next Generation of Tire Even Better in Wet.*
  • Fuel efficient and long lasting†
  • Three Steel Belt Durability††
  • Three Steel Belt Durability††
  • †Based on Michelin internal wear test results versus MICHELIN® X® LT tires.
  • ††Using four LT265/75R16/E tires inflated at 80 psi.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Might I recommend 96 lbs!

J/K

On your tiny truck, I'd go with 32lbs. E rated means it'd ride rough at 15psi on your truck but that would be dumb. So ya, 32psi.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
look on the drivers door jamb sticker, "cold tire pressure" on mine it says 29 psi
Old 01-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
look on the drivers door jamb sticker, "cold tire pressure" on mine it says 29 psi
once you go to a size and/or load range that is different than stock, what the door jam and owners manual say may not be correct any more.

chalk test is always a safe way to figure out what PSI will wear your tires best (assuming your alignment is good)
Old 01-21-2012, 01:09 AM   #6
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE808 View Post
I agree look on the door jam. Don't run full psi. It's gonna be super stiff and harsh
The door jam info is for the stock tires (BFG Rugged Trails or whatever)...

They are a 35 psi max tire, and the Toyota recommended 29 front/ 32 rear is perfect for that tire.

When I change to both a different tire (and a different size), that door jam suggestion has no more use. The new tires (Hankook Dynapro ATm) have a 44 psi max. rating, so I found 29/32 psi too squishy... 38 psi was perfect (actually 36-40 feels good)... in all cases it is LESS than the tire's recommended MAX. pressure, unless you fully load the truck to the max. weight load of the truck or the 4 tires under it.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:10 AM   #7
Tacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud of
Navy: 2nd class electronic tech.
Name: Bob
Tacologist's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota wants to give you a compromise between a good ride, traction, hauling capacity, safety, gas mileage and tire life (maybe). At 29 pounds of air you should get a better ride and better traction but tire life will go down.

On the original Dunlops, with 35-38 pounds, I got 60K miles and could have gone to 65K before buying the Michelin M/S 2's. With these tires (Michelin), at 35 pounds of nitrogen, I get the traction that was missing on the Dunlops and all the other features that 29-30 pounds of air would give me with the Dunlops, but better.

If you over inflate, you will wear the center of the tires out faster. With a well inflated tire, you may pick up a few MPG but going too far up reduces traction and ride comfort.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:16 AM   #8
redezman has a brilliant futureredezman has a brilliant futureredezman has a brilliant futureredezman has a brilliant futureredezman has a brilliant futureredezman has a brilliant futureredezman has a brilliant futureredezman has a brilliant futureredezman has a brilliant futureredezman has a brilliant futureredezman has a brilliant future

Name: Charles
redezman's Tacoma Gallery
i run 34 psi in all 4 michlelin ltx m/s2
I found that 34 is best ride for me and even wear on tread
Old 01-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
myth01 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
myth01's Tacoma Gallery
When I changed my tires I call bf Goodrich, and they calculated the proper tire pressure for my vehicle . It's actually an option on the phone when you call
Old 01-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #10
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
The Tire Rack has a guy just for that - call them. He will tell you what to run based on your specific truck, your specific tires/sizes, and the loads you carry. Takes about 1 minute and that's what he's there for.

I have non-stock tires on my '09 and he told me precisely what pressures to start with.

Roger
Old 01-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #11
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

xxaarraa's Tacoma Gallery
I run 29 PSI all around in the winter coz we get a lot of snow here. Summer, I run 32 all around. I am not on stock tires.

What PSI is similar to what oil. No right answer, do what feels right.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
shackley is one of the sharper tools in the shedshackley is one of the sharper tools in the shedshackley is one of the sharper tools in the shedshackley is one of the sharper tools in the shedshackley is one of the sharper tools in the shedshackley is one of the sharper tools in the shedshackley is one of the sharper tools in the shedshackley is one of the sharper tools in the shedshackley is one of the sharper tools in the shedshackley is one of the sharper tools in the shedshackley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: WO1, Vietnam, 3rd Marines/ 1st Marine Brigade
Name: Steve
shackley's Tacoma Gallery
Hankooks on ACC

I think Dave is about right. I did the chalk test on my 2012 ACC TRD and 35 psi looks right. I believe the ACC is a bit lighter than the DC. I'm running the 265/75 16s same as Dave. In snow with ice below it was perfect. I'll be down in W New Mexico next month on mud and rocks and report back.

Steve in Albuquerque

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
The door jam info is for the stock tires (BFG Rugged Trails or whatever)...

They are a 35 psi max tire, and the Toyota recommended 29 front/ 32 rear is perfect for that tire.

When I change to both a different tire (and a different size), that door jam suggestion has no more use. The new tires (Hankook Dynapro ATm) have a 44 psi max. rating, so I found 29/32 psi too squishy... 38 psi was perfect (actually 36-40 feels good)... in all cases it is LESS than the tire's recommended MAX. pressure, unless you fully load the truck to the max. weight load of the truck or the 4 tires under it.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
The max pressure/max load is just that...the maximum pressure for the tire at maximum load. Our trucks are light and the load they can handle isn't that much compared to a full size truck. With my e rated 265/75/16 bfg a/t k/o's the chalk test shows my psi should be around 36 front/34 back (with the weight of a canopy.)
Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
patpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura about
patpatpat's Tacoma Gallery
Just came back from the dealership where they roadforce balanced my tires and set my tires and alert indicator at 38psi.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #15
TnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TnShooter's Tacoma Gallery
I run 32 psi all the way around every season. Never had any problems.
I had 47,500+ miles on my other tires and they were about 40% then.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #16
zeus7625 is on a distinguished road
Navy: MMCS(SW) Retires
Name: Zeus
zeus7625's Tacoma Gallery
I may sound like a dummy but.........chalk test? Teach me!
Old 04-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #17
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus7625 View Post
I may sound like a dummy but.........chalk test? Teach me!
The only dumb question is the one not asked...

Of course, there are some here who love to yell at people to SEARCH for the answer... as if a fresh answer somehow is destructive or will over load the bandwidth of this site!

How about I take some photos today of the chalk test being done?

Stay tuned!!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #18
whopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: wayne
whopper's Tacoma Gallery
please do the pics on the chalk test not sure the way its done
Old 04-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #19
HMA is on a distinguished road
Name: Hal
HMA's Tacoma Gallery
I run 245/75/17 BFG AT's @ 60 psi. These are heavy duty 10 ply tires and this is BFG's reccomended pressure for them. I chose these tires because the sidewalls of 2 of the Dunlops got punctured by cotton stalks and they are about the same height as 265/70's. At 60 psi, you feel every little bump in the road, but the better performance and mileage is worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
What tire PSI should I run?-dsc00491.jpg  
Old 04-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #20

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

On my phone now. pics of chalk test just done. stay tuned.