Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Adding auto climate control to 09 Tacoma?

Old 01-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

xxaarraa's Tacoma Gallery
Adding auto climate control to 09 Tacoma?

I searched and found one thread that said the auto climate control module from an LS400 would fit the Tacoma? Does anyone know of a way to add auto climate control to the 2nd gen?

I have my iPad mounted right where the heater knobs are and it's a pain in the a$$ to constantly switch it on/off regardless. Would be such a nice thing to set it and forget it, like most cars these days.

Anyone?
Old 01-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Possibly the module from a 4-Runner or LX-460?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

No one has tried this or explored this subject? Very surprising, I thought every conceivable mod was known to TW!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Ebolamonkey is on a distinguished road
Ebolamonkey's Tacoma Gallery
subscribing. i am super interested in how to do this as well.

it's the year 2012 having to fiddle with temperature and fan speeds in a modern vehicle is disgraceful
Old 01-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
megillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
megillet's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to megillet
I've been wanting to do this as well. It would probably require more than just the control knobs, I'm thinking a couple temperature probes and maybe a different deflector valve motor? I'd love to try, I hate when my wife makes it way hotter or colder than it needs to be...
Old 01-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
mm i think it can be done with just a microcontroller and a digital thermometer...

unless u are trying to do multiple temperature zones or something. i think its best to think simple at the moment. hah
Old 01-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebolamonkey View Post
mm i think it can be done with just a microcontroller and a digital thermometer...

unless u are trying to do multiple temperature zones or something. i think its best to think simple at the moment. hah
Say more....
Old 01-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
Well, i'm an electrical engineer so i "should" be able to rig something together. unfortunately, i haven't done any circuit designing since school. But I think this would be a fun project.

I have to consider the complexity of the logic. I mean sure i can turn on the heater or the cooler to reach a temperature setpoint - but i realized to be practical, the logic needs to be a bit more complicated.

you will need to turn down the fans as you get closer to setpoint and then have the program switch over to temperature maintenance mode.

I also don't want something to look ugly... and an option to switch back to manual /factory mode is necessary. The more seamlessly this is done, the better.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebolamonkey View Post
Well, i'm an electrical engineer so i "should" be able to rig something together. unfortunately, i haven't done any circuit designing since school. But I think this would be a fun project.

I have to consider the complexity of the logic. I mean sure i can turn on the heater or the cooler to reach a temperature setpoint - but i realized to be practical, the logic needs to be a bit more complicated.

you will need to turn down the fans as you get closer to setpoint and then have the program switch over to temperature maintenance mode.

I also don't want something to look ugly... and an option to switch back to manual /factory mode is necessary. The more seamlessly this is done, the better.
I'm not sure if you'd want the control the fan speed because if you have the defroster on, you want the fan speed to stay up and control the air temp rather than try to control temp by adjusting fan speed. Just a thought...
Old 01-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'm not sure if you'd want the control the fan speed because if you have the defroster on, you want the fan speed to stay up and control the air temp rather than try to control temp by adjusting fan speed. Just a thought...
A true "Auto" climate control will control everything. In my car, the auto mode will turn the fan up or down taking into account whether defroster is on among other considerations. In fact, when in auto mode, the manual fan control knob is locked out. In some Acuras, the climate control will also sense the angle of the sun and adjust fan speed accordingly. But that's crazy.

But I agree that even a more rudimentary auto mode would be better than what we have.