1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005 4x4 4cyl issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Slidell96, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Jan 22, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    Slidell96

Slidell96 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hello all,
    Have a couple of issues with my taco and would like to get some input. It's an 05 4x4 4cyl 5spd with 95k on it.

First issue: At start up I get an odd noise under the hood and can't locate it. It sounds like a whirring/spinning noise. Thought it may be an idler pulley, to serp belt off and spun all of the pullys and they spun fine with no noise. Put a steth scope on it while running and it definitely sounds like its coming from the front of the motor, but can't pin point exactly where its coming from.

Second Issue: Constant engine stumble. Does it pretty bad at start up, but gets better as the truck warms up. Never seems to fully go away though. Drives fine, but when I stop at a light it's minimal, but still there. Changed spark plugs and put fuel system cleaner through and it still does it...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Jan 23, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    Slidell96

Slidell96 [OP] Member

Member:
    Anyone??

3. Jan 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Check rubber hoses for brittleness or vacuum leaks. Make sure all the MAF pipes are tight.

IDK but I'd pull the plugs or at least make sure they're tight (make sure you used a dab of Loctite Anti-seize on the plug threads or you'll be sorry)

Clean the MAF wire with Radio Shack COLOR TV Tuner cleaner (just a few shots) to clean the wire.

I'm thinking it might be an idea to look for a spare Alternator.

I'm wondering if a spare coolant temp sensor might not be handy to have around, too.

At your mileage maybe the 02 sensor(s) should be changed.

4. Jan 24, 2012 at 4:05 PM
    Slidell96

Slidell96 [OP] Member

Member:
    Thank you for the ideas Steve, I will look into them over the weekend and see what I may come up with.

5. Jan 24, 2012 at 4:13 PM
    Slidell96

Slidell96 [OP] Member

Member:
    By any chance do these engines have timing chain problems b/c the ac, steering pump, alt are not making the noise. Sounds is coming from the middle front area of the engine when I have the scope on it.

6. Jan 24, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    danteisme

danteisme Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    no check engine lights?

7. Jan 24, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Sorry but I'm fairly new to this engine and frankly haven't had to really look at it.

I'm leaning towards the 02 sensor(s) on your exhaust and whatever the noise at the front of the engine I'm sorry I can't help.

8. Jan 25, 2012 at 5:08 AM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    Does the noise occur at cold start up and last for about 10 seconds, then stop when the RPM's start to come down? If so, you're hearing an electric air pump that's forcing air into the exhaust manifold to help with catalytic converter warm-up. It's normal.

As far as running rough . . . my truck feels like it's running rough at idle too (~650 rpms). When I bought my '06 last year (17,800 miles) I had the same concerns so I changed spark plugs, PCV valve, cleaned MAF/temp sensor, cleaned throttle body, checked every single hose and connection, changed coolant, ran a tankful of Techron cleaner, and replaced the intake air filter. I only use Mobile 1 synthetic oil and only use Toyota filters.

Everything I did had absolutely no effect on the idle vibrations, so I've just lived with it for the last year. It doesn't sound like the engine is missing or anything, which you can check by bending down near the exhaust tip and listening. I've just chalked it up to the 4 cyl. being naturally unbalanced, despite Toyota's attempt to offset with balance shafts.

Products Discussed in

To Top