Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do I want the heavier or lighter shift knob for my 6 sp?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

xxaarraa's Tacoma Gallery
Do I want the heavier or lighter shift knob for my 6 sp?

I am getting an aftermarket knob to replace the factory one and wondering if getting a heavier knob will help reduce shift effort? Or do I need the lighter knob? Also, I have the URD short shifter kit which increased the throw effort compared to stock.

I have forgotten all my high school physics, so can someone please weigh in?

300 grams:
http://www.amazon.com/RAZO-RA65A-Shi...pd_sbs_auto_17

150 grams:
http://www.amazon.com/RA119A-Formula...=pd_sbs_auto_9
Old 01-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Pnicholas1019 is on a distinguished road

Navy: Aircrew (AWF)
Name: Parker
Pnicholas1019's Tacoma Gallery
heavier knob will help it slide in to the gear with less effort on your end.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
chriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: chris
chriss's Tacoma Gallery
The correct physics answer is lighter would be less effort.
But, in the weight range we're talking about there would be no notable difference.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
A body at rest tends to stay at rest, takes more energy to move it if it's heavy unless you intend to hammer it into the next gear go with a light one. It's just a lever if it's shorter it will take more effort. I must say it took awhile to get used to the 6 speed but I can shift it now as clean as any automatic.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWM Shifters
Why is a heavier shift knob better you may ask yourself? The answer is simple and relates to basic physics. A heavy shift knob carries with it more kinetic energy and has greater momentum than a less massive (lighter) shift knob travelling at the same speed. Kinetic energy is defined as the energy possessed by a body because of its motion, equal to one half the mass of the body times the square of its speed. Momentum is defined as the product of the mass times the velocity of an object. Since kinetic energy and momentum are directly proportional to an objects mass, the more massive (heavy) an object is the more kinetic energy it carries with it through it's movement, and it has a greater momentum than a less massive object travelling at the same speed.

This theory applies to a shift knob in the following manner. While shifting, the shift knob is set in motion by the driver. While the shift knob is travelling between gears, it has a certain velocity and carries with it kinetic energy. The additional kinetic energy the heavy shift knob carries with it helps it to engage in to the next gear. Essentially, the shifter with a heavier shift knob is more "difficult" to stop because of the added kinetic energy, which actually helps it engage in to the next gear with less direct effort from the driver. The net result is a smoother engagement in to the next gear with less effort put in from the driver on the shift knob to get it in to gear. It is for this reason that a heavier shift knob feels much smoother to shift than a shifter with a stock shift knob.
It takes a bit more energy to get it moving- but that is offset by the assistance the heavier knob gives you advantage while moving the gears.

Products Discussed in this Thread