Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Potential buyer...advice!

Old 07-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #1
agentcooper is on a distinguished road
agentcooper's Tacoma Gallery
Potential buyer...advice!

Been researching and posting on a couple of other forums...thought I'd gather some more info before making my final choice!

Here's the deal:

I have a 5 month old 07 VW GTI.....which I love....but.....I've started realizing I need something a bit more "practical". The GTI is fun to drive but I'm not liking the following:

1. premium fuel & about 19 mpg average
2. high price oil changes (dealer has to do it)
3. high insurance
4. worried about long term reliability and value

But boy it's fun to drive! LOL....and yes, I thought about all those things before I bought the car but once you get in and drive it your brain tends to overlook the little things....LOL

So my wife and started thinking maybe I should trade it in on something more practical and useful. I could go back to driving a boring Civic and save quite a bit of money on payment, gas, and general maintenance.....but I started looking into the Tacomas.

Mainly an 07 PreRunner V6 DC...with the SR5 package #2. With trade and a little money down I could get it for about the same payments I'm making now...but gain in a few areas. I figure the toyota will bring:

1. Lower insurance
2. Better long term reliability
3. Better long term resale value
4. Lower maintenance costs
5. Equal on gas since I can run regular and still get abou 20mpg in the toyota

So my question is: You guys think it's a "smart" move? Are my Tacoma "pros" about right?
Old 07-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentcooper View Post
Been researching and posting on a couple of other forums...thought I'd gather some more info before making my final choice!

Here's the deal:

I have a 5 month old 07 VW GTI.....which I love....but.....I've started realizing I need something a bit more "practical". The GTI is fun to drive but I'm not liking the following:

1. premium fuel & about 19 mpg average
2. high price oil changes (dealer has to do it)
3. high insurance
4. worried about long term reliability and value

But boy it's fun to drive! LOL....and yes, I thought about all those things before I bought the car but once you get in and drive it your brain tends to overlook the little things....LOL

So my wife and started thinking maybe I should trade it in on something more practical and useful. I could go back to driving a boring Civic and save quite a bit of money on payment, gas, and general maintenance.....but I started looking into the Tacomas.

Mainly an 07 PreRunner V6 DC...with the SR5 package #2. With trade and a little money down I could get it for about the same payments I'm making now...but gain in a few areas. I figure the toyota will bring:

1. Lower insurance
2. Better long term reliability
3. Better long term resale value
4. Lower maintenance costs
5. Equal on gas since I can run regular and still get abou 20mpg in the toyota

So my question is: You guys think it's a "smart" move? Are my Tacoma "pros" about right?
Except for the fact that you will "upside-down" on the GTI (unless you paid cash), I think it is a great idea.

I am a long-time VW fan: I was conceived in a 73' Beetle.
I drove an 89' GTI, an 82' Caddy Diesel, a 91' GLI, a 98' Jetta TDI, and an 04' Golf TDI.

All that being said - if you need a truck then NOTHING else will do. You are right on the money when it comes to the Tacoma. It is hard to beat - for everything. The V6 DC will be a perfect vehicle for your family. You just can't drive it like the GTI - AT ALL!

Cheers!
Old 07-06-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
We currently have an 06 CR-V that we use as the family car but it would be nice to be able to use the truck as well...back up family car so to speak.

I owe right at what the GTI is worth..I put a decent amount down on it and traded in a paid off old mazda. So yeah it will be a bit of a loss but I won't be upside down on the trade in..unless they really low ball it. But it should be right on or close enough for me to make the jump to the Tacoma.

I do love the GTI..it's like my 3rd child...LOL.....but I think in the long run I'll be happier with the Tacoma.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I agree.

BTW - WELCOME TO TW!
Old 07-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated......now I just gotta do some dealin'
Old 07-06-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentcooper View Post
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated......now I just gotta do some dealin'
Best of Luck! Let us know how it goes. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask OR do a Search on here. We have all gone through the purchase process at least once.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery
I am in the same boat as you man. I am going to be trading in my 2004 dodge srt-4, it's gonna hurt lettign that thing go. so much to drive. but in the long run i will be much happier with the taco. good luck to you
Old 07-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #8
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
You did leave out a few "pros" of the tacoma....

1) try towing 6500lbs in a GTI and see how far you get, the Tacoma will do it just fine

2) Try loading a sofa in the back of a GTI, that would be quite a feat of engineering. The Tacoma will do it just fine

3) Real men drive trucks

Go with the Taco dude, you'll love it!!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:32 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance: Warheads On Foreheads Division
MarkC is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AGE (aerospace ground equipment) mechanic
MarkC's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma's are hella cooler than VW's!
Old 07-10-2007, 07:00 AM   #10
isusww is on a distinguished road
isusww's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my Tacoma for a week now and I'm still thinking of places to go just to spend time in it. My girlfriend is jealous, I have more friends, my hair looks better, I'm thinner and my Johnson grew 4". Ok, so maybe only my girlfriend is jealous, but its a great truck! Get one!
Old 07-10-2007, 07:10 AM   #11
TRDeity is on a distinguished road

TRDeity's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysrt2004 View Post
I am in the same boat as you man. I am going to be trading in my 2004 dodge srt-4, it's gonna hurt lettign that thing go. so much to drive. but in the long run i will be much happier with the taco. good luck to you
A friend of mine has a SRT-4, fast car but cheaply made (as is with most Dodges). Tacos are made much more solid and will hold their resale soo much better. My friend actually wants a FJ now but would be so upside down on the SRT he has to keep it till it's paid off, poor bastard.