Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Gas Milage Chart 2010 Double Cab V6

Old 01-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
harpolith is on a distinguished road

Name: t-man
harpolith's Tacoma Gallery
Gas Milage Chart 2010 Double Cab V6

i've since upgraded to a 2012, but wanted to share my milage chart from the 2010 that i had. i kept track of milage on every fill up that i made. in general, the peaks correspond to highway driving, the valleys correspond to city driving. this represents roughly a year and three months of driving beginining in july 2010, ending in october 2011, starting at 0 miles and ending at ~30,000 miles. the general "trough" between fill up number 25 and 45 were winter months in SD, december through march. there was a marked decrease in milage during the winter months, clearly visible on the chart. and you can see that the second summer shows a slight but overall increase in milage, assumbably due to engine break-in. MPG is on the left side, the bottom numbers are just the fill up number (first tank #1, last tank #89).
Attached Thumbnails
Gas Milage Chart 2010 Double Cab V6-2010-tacoma-milage-chart.jpg  
Old 01-24-2012, 03:05 AM   #2
Supercharged Mileage Master
MikeyLikesIt will become famous soon enoughMikeyLikesIt will become famous soon enough
MikeyLikesIt's Tacoma Gallery
Very interesting. It's nice to see enough data to go over a few years and to see the patterns. I am hoping to have the same someday.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:19 AM   #3
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. Interesting!
Old 01-24-2012, 05:12 AM   #4
Tacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud of
Navy: 2nd class electronic tech.
Name: Bob
Tacologist's Tacoma Gallery
Keeping track of gas mileage on a fill by fill basis is a good way to check up on the overall health of the truck. If it falls off FAST, you should start looking for problems like plugs, sensors, and even tire air pressure.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:17 AM   #5
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco-NB View Post
Wow. Interesting!

I obsess over miles per gallon too, I have issues.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Faryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mic
Faryota's Tacoma Gallery
I keep pretty good track of my mileage too....well maybe not that good....
Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #7

yeah, i have a problem, too. my girlfriend rolls her eyes every time i fill up the tank and get my little notepad out.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
Outdoorsman
Jere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to all

Jere's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a similar graph for my 2010 Access cab, but mine is on my iPhone where a handy little app takes my fill gallons, miles and $ and turns it in to one of these. Also, unfortunately shares a $/gallon graph if I am interested, but that's going no where but up.

Here in this section of PA on top of the generaly less efficient burn of any gas during the winter, our legislature has deemed we ought to have oxygenated gas. Gas refiners love them, they give is poorer gas, and charge us more for the inconvenience of doing it.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
What configuration was your old truck?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfast View Post
i assume that question is for me... it was a 2010 DC V6 4wd SR5 auto.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfast View Post
you know, this just occurred to me... some of the "winter driving" i spoke of between fill ups 25 and 45... i was likely driving in 4wd some of them time. also need to consider that fact when looking at the "winter trough" on the graph.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #12

i'm guessing those two tanks at 13/14 mpg were very cold periods with snow, and i was likely using 4wd off and on.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpolith View Post
i'm guessing those two tanks at 13/14 mpg were very cold periods with snow, and i was likely using 4wd off and on.
That will do it .
Old 01-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #14

this just occurred to me... i suppose the winter gas blends could also be affecting the winter gas milage. hadn't considered that before- just thought it was the cold temps.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpolith View Post
this just occurred to me... i suppose the winter gas blends could also be affecting the winter gas mileage
Of course
Old 01-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #16

what is it exactly with the winter blend that decreases milage? and why do 'they' do it?
Old 01-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #17
fortyniner is on a distinguished road
fortyniner's Tacoma Gallery
I also usually check my millage on fill-ups although I don't write it down. I usually average between 17 and 20 mph depending on what kind of driving I do. I also think it's a good way to keep track of the general condition of the truck.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #18
ShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Name: Shawn
ShawnR's Tacoma Gallery
In the Winter months, smog is more likely to form in the cities. The cities, to control the smog, and to keep the EPA from imposing harsher regulations on them, enforce that ethanol be added to the gasoline mix. Ethanol is an alcohol that burns, but it has less energy per gallon than regular octane. This lowers the smog, but lowers your miles per gallon.
As far as gasoline 'octane', octane is one of many hydrocarbons that the refiners use to make gasoline. There is methane, heptane, etc... In a perfect scenario, 100 octane means that the gasoline is made from 100% octane, and octane is much more resistant to detonation than other hydrocarbons.
What really takes a bite out of our mileage is the combination of the ethanol, cold weather driving that keeps the choke on longer, which makes the fuel/air mixture richer, driving in the snow/mud/wet which increases the resisting friction, and the fact that Toyota de-tunes their engines and keeps the fuel/air mixture high to maintain longer engine life.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #19
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
In the Winter months, smog is more likely to form in the cities. The cities, to control the smog, and to keep the EPA from imposing harsher regulations on them, enforce that ethanol be added to the gasoline mix. Ethanol is an alcohol that burns, but it has less energy per gallon than regular octane. This lowers the smog, but lowers your miles per gallon.
As far as gasoline 'octane', octane is one of many hydrocarbons that the refiners use to make gasoline. There is methane, heptane, etc... In a perfect scenario, 100 octane means that the gasoline is made from 100% octane, and octane is much more resistant to detonation than other hydrocarbons.
What really takes a bite out of our mileage is the combination of the ethanol, cold weather driving that keeps the choke on longer, which makes the fuel/air mixture richer, driving in the snow/mud/wet which increases the resisting friction, and the fact that Toyota de-tunes their engines and keeps the fuel/air mixture high to maintain longer engine life.
explains why our Shell gas station got ethanol in December...the gas usually has NO ethanol at that Shell station.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #20
Oysterhead is on a distinguished road
Oysterhead's Tacoma Gallery
what was the 30k mile average mpg?