Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Aftermarket Navigation Options

Old 02-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #21
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass mechanic View Post
do any of these units offer Pre amp out puts? how many volts and how many pairs?
Some do. The Ottonavi above does and I think the CASKA does as well.

I'm lookiing for one that has pre amp outputs AND can search through the ipod alphabetically.. not jump, not scroll, search.. why more manufactures don't do this is beyond me. That's a huge selling point and a deal breaker on woot of year units for me.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #22
neophyte
John BIG will become famous soon enoughJohn BIG will become famous soon enough
Name: mann
John BIG's Tacoma Gallery
Do not quote me on this one because I never had a chance today to mess with it but as far as I know, YES you can incorporate addded amps to power couple more speakers of your choice.

Quote:
do any of these units offer Pre amp out puts? how many volts and how many pairs?
Old 02-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #23
declan is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
declan's Tacoma Gallery
So the main benefit of going with one of these over aftermarket is that they plug into OEM plugs with no harness?
Old 02-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #24
highaltitude is one of the sharper tools in the shedhighaltitude is one of the sharper tools in the shedhighaltitude is one of the sharper tools in the shedhighaltitude is one of the sharper tools in the shedhighaltitude is one of the sharper tools in the shedhighaltitude is one of the sharper tools in the shedhighaltitude is one of the sharper tools in the shedhighaltitude is one of the sharper tools in the shedhighaltitude is one of the sharper tools in the shedhighaltitude is one of the sharper tools in the shedhighaltitude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

highaltitude's Tacoma Gallery
I love my Pioneer Avic 700BT, works great and there are a ton of mods for it on www.avic411.com Lots of customization stuff for Pioneer radios on there.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #25
neophyte
Everything you need is included with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by declan View Post
So the main benefit of going with one of these over aftermarket is that they plug into OEM plugs with no harness?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #26
ottonavigps is on a distinguished road
ottonavigps's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

the unit of pictures i posted do have pre amp out puts...Ill upload pics shortly
Old 02-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #27
bass mechanic has a spectacular aura aboutbass mechanic has a spectacular aura about
bass mechanic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottonavigps View Post
the unit of pictures i posted do have pre amp out puts...Ill upload pics shortly
ok do you know if there is actually subwoofer adjustment and x-overs?
Old 02-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #28
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottonavigps View Post
Are units are not SIRI ready,
Is that iPhone junk? I mostly stay out of the iFad.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #29
not sure to be honest...hmmm

Old 02-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by spithead051 View Post
The third one is the unit made by Caska. Here is an in-depth review by a member over on TN. I think I'm going to get the Rosen unit.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61...at-deal-4.html

This unit is not made by caska...made by ottonavi...
Old 02-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #31
jpedroza is on a distinguished road
Name: Jared
jpedroza's Tacoma Gallery
do the stock speakers and jbl subwoofer sound better with this head unit?
Old 02-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #32
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpedroza View Post
do the stock speakers and jbl subwoofer sound better with this head unit?
You don't have a JBL sub. It is just a sub Only double cabs have a JBL option. Judging by the specs of this unit it won't sound any better.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #33
bass mechanic has a spectacular aura aboutbass mechanic has a spectacular aura about
i just bought the cask unit on ebay. seems all u need is the scci adapter as it already comes with the cable unlike the rosen
i found very little about the ottonavi but it looks like its lacking quite a few features of the rosen and caska

i believe the rosen/caska are both made in the same china factory. the differences are the GUI interface and menus but i cannot say for sure.
it seems there are plenty of tube videos but few in english!
anyway, ill post my findings when i get it installed.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #34
neophyte
glad you did....

Quote:
i just bought the cask unit on ebay. seems all u need is the scci adapter as it already comes with the cable unlike the rosen
i found very little about the ottonavi but it looks like its lacking quite a few features of the rosen and caska

i believe the rosen/caska are both made in the same china factory. the differences are the GUI interface and menus but i cannot say for sure.
it seems there are plenty of tube videos but few in english!
anyway, ill post my findings when i get it installed.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #35
ok i have new information. i spoke with the ebay store today about my caska that will ship out today. they have confirmed this...

both caska and rosen are in fact the same unit made in china, the differences being that Rosen does not have it's own manufacturer. they buy the units from Caska and Caska was asked to redesign the GUI to make it look different.
i cant say in particular which has these features and which has other features but this explains why the Rosen costs more because they are trying to eek out a profit after purchasing them from Caska.
Rosen also charges extra for the Ipod cables and harness to connect to a XM tuner.
the Caska unit comes with everything you need.
i am expecting an owners manuel any minute via email that i plan to read so i know what the unit does before it gets here.
i was told that the map updates will be available soon because they are currently sourcing which company they will use to update the maps and what the cost will be.
i was told the units come with the 2010 map database. but i do not think the new map upgrades will cost much.
Both units use a windows CE platform
they both share all the same hardware, chips, screen cables ect...
i read on crutchfield that rosen has a TMC weather tuner and i asked if caska has this capability as well, but he didnt think it did and i am hopeing he will check into it.

as far as features, i am sure there are differences between the Rosen and Caska considering the GUI menus are different and i am sure the rosen units are capable of more features than they are shipped with but to make them identical would be stupid to compete with your own manufacturer.
so logic tells me that since caska is the parent company its more likely thoes units will have more features.
ill reply to this thread as i get more info so if your interested you might want to subscribe.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #36
neophyte
Smile

nice to know it bro.... great research on your side and really informative...

Quote:
ok i have new information. i spoke with the ebay store today about my caska that will ship out today. they have confirmed this...

both caska and rosen are in fact the same unit made in china, the differences being that Rosen does not have it's own manufacturer. they buy the units from Caska and Caska was asked to redesign the GUI to make it look different.
i cant say in particular which has these features and which has other features but this explains why the Rosen costs more because they are trying to eek out a profit after purchasing them from Caska.
Rosen also charges extra for the Ipod cables and harness to connect to a XM tuner.
the Caska unit comes with everything you need.
i am expecting an owners manuel any minute via email that i plan to read so i know what the unit does before it gets here.
i was told that the map updates will be available soon because they are currently sourcing which company they will use to update the maps and what the cost will be.
i was told the units come with the 2010 map database. but i do not think the new map upgrades will cost much.
Both units use a windows CE platform
they both share all the same hardware, chips, screen cables ect...
i read on crutchfield that rosen has a TMC weather tuner and i asked if caska has this capability as well, but he didnt think it did and i am hopeing he will check into it.

as far as features, i am sure there are differences between the Rosen and Caska considering the GUI menus are different and i am sure the rosen units are capable of more features than they are shipped with but to make them identical would be stupid to compete with your own manufacturer.
so logic tells me that since caska is the parent company its more likely thoes units will have more features.
ill reply to this thread as i get more info so if your interested you might want to subscribe.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #37
well i have had the caska for a full day, and i am ready to comment on it.

i think overall the unit is a pretty cool peice, it does everything you would want it to do, it looks like it came with the truck, lights up exactly like the rest of the dash, controls are easy to use, navigation works great, ipod and radio work well. i was suprised at how much output the preamps have considering the kenwood i took out was a 5 volt, this unit seems to have as much or more signal as the kenwood.
also this unit will plug directly into your factory harness with no wireing!. all you need is a 10 MM socket to remove the factoryu radio, swap the brackets off the factory radio and onto this unit, plug 2 plugs and 1 antenna connection and your in business!

HOWEVER! i think i want to sell this unit. ive become a little too spoiled on the little extras and the garmin based navigation in the kenwood i have used for the last 4 years! also i think i miss my 15 band equalizer and time alignment that compliments my aftermarket system much better.
i just don't think it's a good fit for me.
if you have not had much experience with navigation units and if you have the factory system this unit will be just perfect for you!
i paid 783.00+24.00 shipping total of $813.00.
ill take a $50.00 loss and whatever the additional shipping cost is to send it to you. so if your interested your price is $763.00 delivered to your door!
otherwise the manufacturer said he would take it back at no additional cost.
i would just rather ship it to someone a few states away than back to canada and help a fellow taco owner get a deal.
i am in colorado. i know shipping regular ground to california is 3 days, probably similar to about 1/2 way across the us to the east.
if anyone wants it, send me a paypal and it will go out the same day as i am right across the street from a UPS shipment location.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #38
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome Input and thanks for the honest comments. I too think it wouldnt fit me. I have been going back and forth between keeping my Pioneer avh p4300 or getting a CASKA/Rosen unit. My main concern is having ipod search functionality and an equalizer/sub controls. I have become spoiled as well with my system and the ease of search and settings. I do not however, have gps, and I also LOVE the factory look, so its still In the cards. I do think though, that i wouldn't be happy with the CASKA because of those two drawbacks.

Again, thanks for the review. Hopefully you'll find another home for It.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #39
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my aftermarket navigation system. Works awesome! Okay, maybe not helpful to the thread, but it works for me!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbb View Post
Here's my aftermarket navigation system. Works awesome! Okay, maybe not helpful to the thread, but it works for me!
hahaha keeping it old school..