Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Aftermarket Navigation Options

Old 03-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #41
bass mechanic has a spectacular aura aboutbass mechanic has a spectacular aura about
bass mechanic's Tacoma Gallery
ok fellas, i want to report that i just got news that my returned Caska to the ebay seller resulted in a smooth refund of my money.
i want to publicly state that he is a very upstanding guy, very concerned with customer satisfaction. personally, the cask wasn't a good fit for ME, i do not want to discourage any of you from trying it. i think if your simply running a factory stereo with no nav and running factory speakers it doesn't get any simpler than this one.
it looks OE and if you weren't well experienced with nav systems this would be a total bargain!
for me, i have become spoiled on some of THE TOP OF THE LINE aftermarket head units. i have had 4 generations of the ken wood excel on series all retail in excess of 1500 bucks.
features on these units blow pretty much anything else away. but there is a price to be paid for those features.

i am seriously looking at alpine's new units this year and they make a custom fit kit for the tacoma.
i think this will be a unit i can live with.
ill update this thread when i have experience to share with you all.
for now, the ken wood is back in the dash and also for sale as soon as alpine has a new unit ready.
in the mean time ill be offering a sweet deal on the ken wood ifs anyone is interested.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #42
neophyte
John BIG will become famous soon enoughJohn BIG will become famous soon enough
Name: mann
John BIG's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man... Caska is my first in dash navi and I'm enjoying it. I added a Kicker sub and up graded my speakers to Boston Acoustic and it did really good. I'm contented with this set up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass mechanic View Post
ok fellas, i want to report that i just got news that my returned Caska to the ebay seller resulted in a smooth refund of my money.
i want to publicly state that he is a very upstanding guy, very concerned with customer satisfaction. personally, the cask wasn't a good fit for ME, i do not want to discourage any of you from trying it. i think if your simply running a factory stereo with no nav and running factory speakers it doesn't get any simpler than this one.
it looks OE and if you weren't well experienced with nav systems this would be a total bargain!
for me, i have become spoiled on some of THE TOP OF THE LINE aftermarket head units. i have had 4 generations of the ken wood excel on series all retail in excess of 1500 bucks.
features on these units blow pretty much anything else away. but there is a price to be paid for those features.

i am seriously looking at alpine's new units this year and they make a custom fit kit for the tacoma.
i think this will be a unit i can live with.
ill update this thread when i have experience to share with you all.
for now, the ken wood is back in the dash and also for sale as soon as alpine has a new unit ready.
in the mean time ill be offering a sweet deal on the ken wood ifs anyone is interested.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:23 AM   #43
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by John BIG View Post
Thanks man... Caska is my first in dash navi and I'm enjoying it. I added a Kicker sub and up graded my speakers to Boston Acoustic and it did really good. I'm contented with this set up...
Post some pics of the caska.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #44
GoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
GoDeacsWFU23's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the Alpine INA-W900BT. Check my build page for pictures
Old 01-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #45
Brookerbass is on a distinguished road

Name: Eric
Brookerbass's Tacoma Gallery
I just got the Caska (Concept R) deck and am happy with it for the most part. I have the stock JBL system and needed the Metra Tyto-01 and this was by no means "plug and play".

The bad:

-The illumination control is lost.
-The pick up and hang up buttons for Bluetooth now switch back and forth between radio and nav.
-My friends say the BT sounds crappy on the other end.
-Toyota's square Sirius plug is a serious PITA and isn't compatible with the SCC1's standard round antenna plug. Unless you want to spend another $60 for an adapter be prepared to run another antenna.
-The screen is only dimmable in 3 ways. Extremely bright, pretty damn bright, and off. It's distracting at night time.
-When you go through set ups in the nav screen the speaker volume dips up and down and is quite annoying.
-The little graph that jumps around with the music is cool at first until you realize there's about a 1 sec delay between that and your speakers. I'd rather have a windows media player style thing that's changeable.
-Sometimes at start up I get no sound and have to turn it off and back on. I'm pretty sure this is due to the Tyto-01 though.
-Stereo shuts off with ignition only, not when you open the door. I think the illumination wire may have a part in this.

The good:

-Streaming BT audio sounds good.
-Interface is easy to use once you're used to it.
-Does everything (minus a happy ending)
-Looks phenomenal in the dash.
-Once you jump through the hoops of hooking Sirius up, it works very well.

Was it worth nearly $1K ? My first whole CAR (87' Chevy Spectrum) cost less than that so I'd say no. Hope this helps anyone searching for info.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #46
bass mechanic has a spectacular aura aboutbass mechanic has a spectacular aura about
bass mechanic's Tacoma Gallery
i got the alpine INE S920 you can get it for about the same money as the caska and personally the alpine is a much better unit in so many ways.
the caska has potential, and if they take the time to work the bugs out they may have something really good but IMO i would pay about 500 for the unit, it's not worth any more than that.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #47

Yeah, maybe it's just because I had the JBL that I have so many quams with it but I kinda wish I had just gone with a name brand.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #48
Canadian Redneck
NiceTaco has a spectacular aura aboutNiceTaco has a spectacular aura about

NiceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Anything like this for the 2012 +?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #49

According to Concept R, theirs fits. I wouldn't try it though, I saw some pix of a guy that tried to retrofit the new entune stereo into the 05'-11' and it didn't quite make it.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #50
4x4Taco will become famous soon enough4x4Taco will become famous soon enough

4x4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Why not just get a Kenwood Nav system (DNX) and a Scosche faceplate...will look factory?
http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/ins...acoma-dash-kit
Old 01-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #51
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookerbass View Post
I just got the Caska (Concept R) deck and am happy with it for the most part. I have the stock JBL system and needed the Metra Tyto-01 and this was by no means "plug and play".

The bad:

-The illumination control is lost.
-The pick up and hang up buttons for Bluetooth now switch back and forth between radio and nav.
-My friends say the BT sounds crappy on the other end.
-Toyota's square Sirius plug is a serious PITA and isn't compatible with the SCC1's standard round antenna plug. Unless you want to spend another $60 for an adapter be prepared to run another antenna.
-The screen is only dimmable in 3 ways. Extremely bright, pretty damn bright, and off. It's distracting at night time.
-When you go through set ups in the nav screen the speaker volume dips up and down and is quite annoying.
-The little graph that jumps around with the music is cool at first until you realize there's about a 1 sec delay between that and your speakers. I'd rather have a windows media player style thing that's changeable.
-Sometimes at start up I get no sound and have to turn it off and back on. I'm pretty sure this is due to the Tyto-01 though.
-Stereo shuts off with ignition only, not when you open the door. I think the illumination wire may have a part in this.

The good:

-Streaming BT audio sounds good.
-Interface is easy to use once you're used to it.
-Does everything (minus a happy ending)
-Looks phenomenal in the dash.
-Once you jump through the hoops of hooking Sirius up, it works very well.

Was it worth nearly $1K ? My first whole CAR (87' Chevy Spectrum) cost less than that so I'd say no. Hope this helps anyone searching for info.
Do you have any pics of the unit installed? I have the Rosen and I wonder what the difference is. On the Rosen you can adjust the settings for illumination and there is also a setting for the Nav so the volume dont dip up and down when switching between nav and other sources.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:59 AM   #52
love4steel is on a distinguished road
love4steel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceTaco View Post
Anything like this for the 2012 +?
We with the 12's are both lucky and unlucky. Alpines new 8" badboy has a perfect fit kit for our truck. amazing system - very expensive.
Check out the INE-Z928HD. Alpine make a kit for only 8 vehicles one being 2012 tacoma. Perfect fit means not only the plastic trim but steering wheel controls will work as well.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #54
ottonavigps is on a distinguished road
ottonavigps's Tacoma Gallery
CHECK OUT OTTONAVI!!! OEM FITMENT OEM LOOK!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #55
ottonavigps is on a distinguished road
ottonavigps's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...pricing-3.html
Old 01-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #56

I took a couple pictures but I didn't realize I needed to upload them to a site before I could post them. I'll work on that. The two units look the same but there's minor system differences I think.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #57

Old 01-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #58

Old 02-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #59

Rosen Navigation by iGo Primo. Its not bad pretty user friendly.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #60

Yeah I'm pretty sure the hardware for these is identical, they just changed the interface slightly. I'm guessing yours is better