Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OFFICIAL 2nd gen 4x4 front differential bearing vibration POLL

View Poll Results: Front diff grinding/vibe... yes or no..
2005 YES - Stock or Lifted 6 4.23%
2005 NO - Stock or Lifted 7 4.93%
2006 YES - Stock or Lifted 17 11.97%
2006 NO - Stock or Lifted 8 5.63%
2007 YES - Stock or Lifted 15 10.56%
2007 NO - Stock or Lifted 9 6.34%
2008 YES - Stock or Lifted 12 8.45%
2008 NO - Stock or Lifted 8 5.63%
2009 YES - Stock or Lifted 7 4.93%
2009 NO - Stock or Lifted 10 7.04%
2010 YES - Stock or Lifted 10 7.04%
2010 NO - Stock or Lifted 8 5.63%
2011 YES - Stock or Lifted 13 9.15%
2011 NO - Stock or Lifted 12 8.45%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #21
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
I want you to add prerunner to the list for any year just to see how many (I'll be nice here) dumbasses click on it.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #22
allrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud of
allrsdup's Tacoma Gallery
i dont have the truck anymore but my 2008 trd sport longbed had front wheel bearings and front diff and transfercase and rear diff and tranny replaced under warranty,, thus the reason i no longer have it.. lol
Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #24
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I think the poll is only drawing the attention of people who have the vibration.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #25
Eldo is on a distinguished road
Eldo's Tacoma Gallery
if only i were local to eastcoast gear supply....
Old 01-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #26
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
08 stock no vibs till tomorrow when i lift it i hope it does't magically start
Old 01-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #27
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
they started after my lift count me in the suffering list
Old 01-31-2012, 08:58 PM   #28
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I have learned to ignore the little vibe and CV slop.

Here is whats going on and possible fix.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4qw5...iY2lUUsKgPQfbF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3lB_...rptZFd4jchTDy_
So if east coast gears is working on a solution what is toyota doing? If only I was closer east coast gear supply. Thanks for working on a solution
Old 02-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #30
Koby is on a distinguished road

Navy: port inspection diver
Koby's Tacoma Gallery
Lift vs non-lift is a great idea. I'm assuming that 99% of the issues come from lifted trucks which is probably why Toyota has chosen to bury their heads in the sand over this one. They couldn't hide from the Tundra problem because it was happening to them at stock height.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #31
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koby View Post
Lift vs non-lift is a great idea. I'm assuming that 99% of the issues come from lifted trucks which is probably why Toyota has chosen to bury their heads in the sand over this one. They couldn't hide from the Tundra problem because it was happening to them at stock height.
I doubt this problem is lift related. More like lift makes it stand out. Some people have no vibes then install lift and instantly hear vibes. There is no way lift would wear anything in hours for vibes to occur.
Now question remains why front diff wears out so quickly?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #32
lundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
I doubt this problem is lift related. More like lift makes it stand out. Some people have no vibes then install lift and instantly hear vibes. There is no way lift would wear anything in hours for vibes to occur.
Now question remains why front diff wears out so quickly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
The lift changes the CV axle angle where it goes into the front diff. This causes the axle to apply more pressure against the rollers in the front diff bearing. If the bearing and/or axle isn't smooth enough (worn, defective, etc), then you get the vibe.
I know it doesn't answer your question completely but just a little insight. ^^
Old 02-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #33
Koby is on a distinguished road

Navy: port inspection diver
Koby's Tacoma Gallery
I think Lundy answered your question and you are right. It technically is not lift related. It just so happens that only guys with lifts know that Toyota cheaped out on their diffs. I had the vibe instantly after the lift. I have since purchased a new diff that lasted 3 months before it too has begun to growl. I'll just wait for the bushing from Chase and have it put into the new diff that I'll have coming to me under warranty!
Old 02-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #34
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Problem started at 40k when I put on my 6". Still there at 86k with a 3". Waiting on a solid fix before I even bother
Old 02-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #35
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Gotta say Toyota got pretty pathetic with the diffs in these trucks. An 8" ring gear the same they've been using with a 22re and 1000 lbs lighter truck. Then they cheap out and don't machine the carrier for the side gears. I love my truck but come on... we should have gotten there 9.5" axle in the rear and they ought to have taken the time to machine the carrier.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #37
Tdye82 is on a distinguished road
Tdye82's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koby View Post
I think Lundy answered your question and you are right. It technically is not lift related. It just so happens that only guys with lifts know that Toyota cheaped out on their diffs. I had the vibe instantly after the lift. I have since purchased a new diff that lasted 3 months before it too has begun to growl. I'll just wait for the bushing from Chase and have it put into the new diff that I'll have coming to me under warranty!
X2! Mine had a minor vibes stock but barely noticeable. As soon as my lift was put on and i got on the highway the first time I could tell it was magnified x10.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #38
MaloneS is on a distinguished road

Name: Steven
MaloneS's Tacoma Gallery
I did my research and bought the diff., carrier bearing and aal shims with my lift kit. Did my research.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #39
lundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloneS View Post
I did my research and bought the diff., carrier bearing and aal shims with my lift kit. Did my research.
This thread/poll is regarding the front diff, not rear driveline vibes.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #40
thekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thekernel114's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloneS View Post
I'm Only lifted half inch in the front and bone stock in the rear, already tried the diff drop and it only made it worse. How do you explain that?