Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OFFICIAL 2nd gen 4x4 front differential bearing vibration POLL

View Poll Results: Front diff grinding/vibe... yes or no..
2005 YES - Stock or Lifted 6 4.23%
2005 NO - Stock or Lifted 7 4.93%
2006 YES - Stock or Lifted 17 11.97%
2006 NO - Stock or Lifted 8 5.63%
2007 YES - Stock or Lifted 15 10.56%
2007 NO - Stock or Lifted 9 6.34%
2008 YES - Stock or Lifted 12 8.45%
2008 NO - Stock or Lifted 8 5.63%
2009 YES - Stock or Lifted 7 4.93%
2009 NO - Stock or Lifted 10 7.04%
2010 YES - Stock or Lifted 10 7.04%
2010 NO - Stock or Lifted 8 5.63%
2011 YES - Stock or Lifted 13 9.15%
2011 NO - Stock or Lifted 12 8.45%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #61
Koby is on a distinguished road

Navy: port inspection diver
Koby's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I did the cb drop as well but it didn't work. The angles were pretty good too. I had a one piece drive-shaft fabricated using part of the existing 2 piece for 250 bucks installed. No more take off shudder.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #62
MaloneS is on a distinguished road

Name: Steven
MaloneS's Tacoma Gallery
Going to have to look into that DS fabrication deal. Thanks for info.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #63
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
It makes the most sense to me because when lifted 3" I had really bad vibes, Dropped down to just Eibachs (1.5") up front and they got a lot better. Then just to see dropped down to stock height up front and it was gone. Seems to me the less the pressure the less the vibe until flat angles with no pressure and no vibes. Probably why the RCD club is vibe free
I was going to do that too. I figured it would go away if at stock level. Anyone who lifted their (late model)4x4 Tacoma and didn't get the vibe/growl is lucky. Yup I got mine right after the lift but it didn't seem to get worse going from 1.6 to 2.5" via the 5100 clip. I hardly notice it anymore with the Duratracs. I dont know if I should even bother to push the issue with Toyota, but my truck has only 7800 mi on it? The take off shutter is bothersome as well. I've gotten used to it though.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #64
lundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB Taco View Post
I was going to do that too. I figured it would go away if at stock level. Anyone who lifted their (late model)4x4 Tacoma and didn't get the vibe/growl is lucky. Yup I got mine right after the lift but it didn't seem to get worse going from 1.6 to 2.5" via the 5100 clip. I hardly notice it anymore with the Duratracs. I dont know if I should even bother to push the issue with Toyota, but my truck has only 7800 mi on it? The take off shutter is bothersome as well. I've gotten used to it though.
Just got my diff replaced and vibes are back and worse within 1k. It's ridiculous and getting very annoying.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:35 AM   #65
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Hey lundy, how did the CV look where it rides in the bearing? Or did they replace that too?
Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #66
lundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
Hey lundy, how did the CV look where it rides in the bearing? Or did they replace that too?
The dealer didn't show me but they did say it didn't need to be replaced and used the old one. I'm sure it needed to replaced.
Moose:Can I just get that done after the fact? Any chance it'll help? Is it very labor extensive? This sucks cause I'm contemplating just going with an ARB locker for 90% street driven truck
Old 02-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #67
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
Rumor is that the bearing and tool will cost under 150 bucks
Old 02-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #68
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom View Post
ouch
Old 02-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #69
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
ouch
really? its cheaper than an ARB air locker or having the dealer replace the needle bearing.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #70
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
The dealer didn't show me but they did say it didn't need to be replaced and used the old one. I'm sure it needed to replaced.
Moose:Can I just get that done after the fact? Any chance it'll help? Is it very labor extensive? This sucks cause I'm contemplating just going with an ARB locker for 90% street driven truck
I'd just wait until the new bearing is ready and replace both if needed them. It may be that your axle is fine (although I have to wonder if it came back this fast). If the axle is fine, then bearing only. If both, then you'll have a permanent solution...for a lot less than an ARB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom View Post
I'd like to know how much the bearing is without the tool. Several have pulled the bearing with the free rental pilot bearing removal tools. Current bearing is about $10 add in things like seal, oil, and possible CV Axle, you approach that amount. But if it's a one-time cost, then it's certainly worth it (compared to the bearing which only lasts...we'll see).
Old 05-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #71
fruitaboy is on a distinguished road
fruitaboy's Tacoma Gallery
front diff shaft vibration

I have a 2007 Tacoma TRD 4x4 4 door shortbed with 40,000 miles. Did not have any issues until I put 2" in the front and 1" in the back. Now I have a vibration coming from the front. Everything that I have t/s leads to this needle bearing issue. My question to all of you knowledgeable people, I put the 1" diff drop spacers in, has anyone added thicker diff drop spacers?? like 1 1/2". While I was trouble shooting this I did like is seems most of you and removed the diff drop, which made it worse, so I put it back in and I am at the point of removing the kit and sending it back, just to save the trouble of dealing with it.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #72
cdub105 is on a distinguished road
cdub105's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 05 3" lift. Lift has been on for about fours years with no issues. Now starting to have grinding, growling, vibrations.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #73
jamesnev is on a distinguished road
Name: James
jamesnev's Tacoma Gallery
2010 tacoma, just put 2.5 leveling kit in the front and i have it.

Has anyone found any way of correcting this? my powertrain is up in 25000km so i dont want to end up messing something major up