Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OFFICIAL 2nd gen 4x4 front differential bearing vibration POLL

View Poll Results: Front diff grinding/vibe... yes or no..
2005 YES - Stock or Lifted 6 4.23%
2005 NO - Stock or Lifted 7 4.93%
2006 YES - Stock or Lifted 17 11.97%
2006 NO - Stock or Lifted 8 5.63%
2007 YES - Stock or Lifted 15 10.56%
2007 NO - Stock or Lifted 9 6.34%
2008 YES - Stock or Lifted 12 8.45%
2008 NO - Stock or Lifted 8 5.63%
2009 YES - Stock or Lifted 7 4.93%
2009 NO - Stock or Lifted 10 7.04%
2010 YES - Stock or Lifted 10 7.04%
2010 NO - Stock or Lifted 8 5.63%
2011 YES - Stock or Lifted 13 9.15%
2011 NO - Stock or Lifted 12 8.45%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
The Red Bull
BassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Aviation Electronics Tech
Name: Dylan
BassAckwardsDyl's Tacoma Gallery
OFFICIAL 2nd gen 4x4 front differential bearing vibration POLL

Here is the poll for those of us with 2nd gens who HAVE and HAVE NOT experienced the grinding/vibrations caused from the front diff bearing. If you have had the diff changed within the warranty period, please let us know here... trying to get real numbers to see how common this problem is.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
lundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if you need each year as I believe they all use the same front diff from 2005 to present. I think it should be a poll more so based on Stock, lifted .85-2" and 2" and higher. Just my opinion though. Somebody else will probably chime in.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
5100s up front set at 2 inches. Had small vibe before lift that dealer said was tires. After lift it got worse. Diff replaced but not under warranty at 45k. Its starting again at 65k. Pretty much the reason I will think twice before I buy another Toyota! Love the style But this issue with limited support from Toyota will likley push me back to ford. Please don't tell me to enjoy a ford as I've had 3 now and all had fewer issues.
Rant over but the front diff is a known issue on some trucks.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
Just to be clear, are we talking about a vibe felt on takeoff, betwen 1st & 2nd gears? If I push my stock O/R a bit between these two gears, it'll give a shudder.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
The Red Bull
BassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Aviation Electronics Tech
Name: Dylan
BassAckwardsDyl's Tacoma Gallery
No, this is not about the drive line vibe.. this one is from the front diff and can be felt around 20+ mph

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...on-thread.html
Old 01-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
2008, Slight diff vibration after 2" lift. Not bad yet, but I'm sure it'll get worse.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
Tdye82 is on a distinguished road
Tdye82's Tacoma Gallery
I like the idea for the poll but im 99% sure the diffs are the same for all years (2005 up). I think it would be better info if we knew who had the vibration with stock ride height or lifted. just my two cents.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
thekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thekernel114's Tacoma Gallery
i have about 1 inch of lift and have a mad vibe, but its intermittent.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Just my $0.2, to be of value for creating a case for a Toyota TSB, I think it may be better to have the poll be more specific. Maybe poll:

Only for confirmed bad front Differential bearing diagnosis (either by Independent mechanic or Toyota, and NOT wheel bearings). If so, are you:
Stock?
Lifted?

To make a case, we need to confirm that this is happening on stock trucks. They're not covering trucks if they're lifted, but we may have a case if it's happening on a significant percentage of stock trucks.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:06 AM   #11
DATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud of
DATZ WEAKSAUCE's Tacoma Gallery
all these vibe/noise horror stories makes me think twice about lifting my truck =X
Old 01-25-2012, 01:39 AM   #12
RedTaco2134 will become famous soon enoughRedTaco2134 will become famous soon enough

Army: E-1
Name: Scott
RedTaco2134's Tacoma Gallery
Lifted. Especially after in disengages, seems like i can still feel a grinding & vibration. Engaged its a definite, yes.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:34 AM   #15
Tdye82 is on a distinguished road
Tdye82's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
2007 Stock yes
Yours is stock and your having the vibrations? Do they go away when engaging 4wd?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:20 AM   #16
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has a grinding sound when i do between 70 and 80 but it doesn't always do it......
Old 01-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #17
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdye82 View Post
Yours is stock and your having the vibrations? Do they go away when engaging 4wd?
I describe mine as more of a grinding effect w/ 4WD engaged. Recently had diff replaced under warranty. Full story is in my thread here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...xpiration.html

I think you're describing this: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ment-done.html
Old 01-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #18
ZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
ZMan2k2's Tacoma Gallery
I've got an '06 that was stock for the first 65k Km's of it's life. I now have 5100's at 1.75" with TSB springs in the rear. So far so good, no noise at all at 71k Km's.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #19
Koby is on a distinguished road

Navy: port inspection diver
Koby's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2" lift and on my second diff. I once again have the diff growl between 60-70kph. Tacoma's with the same vibe and no lift would be valuable info to have as well. Nice work starting up the poll.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #20
lundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koby View Post
I have a 2" lift and on my second diff. I once again have the diff growl between 60-70kph. Tacoma's with the same vibe and no lift would be valuable info to have as well. Nice work starting up the poll.
Ture. Yo OP!! Lets change this to "lifted vs non lifted" forget each individual year.