1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for new Sport Upgrade 5 double-spoke chrome-clad wheels

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lil J, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Sep 3, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    oemwheelguy

oemwheelguy Member

Member:
    I was doing some market research on what kind of wheels people like and stumbled across these comments. I figured since I used to work for one of the companies that made chrome-clad wheels I’d offer some facts that may be helpful. Some people like them and some don’t so no hurt feelings whichever way you lean.

Although it is easy to describe them as wheel covers, they are not. Wheels covers are made in low cost countries from inexpensive plastic and can be easily removed – ever see a car running around without them after hitting a pothole? Chrome-clad wheels have an expensive engineered high-impact composite permanently bonded to the wheel to allow a high quality chrome finish to be applied.

The wheels are designed so that the claddings are permanently fused to the wheel and not replaceable. But if you really want them off I am sure you will find a way to do it- as some have done here. If the spare is not clad (as many aren't) I would suggest it might be easier to find them used since people rarely buy used spare wheels and that makes them cheaper.

Finally, clad wheel center caps are usually designed to snap into the cladding so I expect the cap will not fit the un-clad wheel.

Products Discussed in

To Top