1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring lights from the back of the truck to a switch inside the truck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jw1983, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Jan 25, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I've been toying with the fact of getting lights for when reversing etc. I found some LED lights that I do like for a decent price. Now, I am not electrically inclined at all and I had asked the guy at the shop and he told me two hours labour. I didn't think that sounded right, two hours to run wires from a set of lights that are mounted and bring wires into the cab for a switch. So my question is, should it take that long to do that sort of thing? Is it easy to do, maybe something that I can do myself?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. Jan 25, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    is he quoting u to hook up the switch, and complete the job or just run wires? ill be doing this next week.... it isnt that bad. just gotta be smart about where and how u place the wires. then electrically, u need to clarify if u are gonna run it off a switch or the reverse lights. im doing both with mine

3. Jan 25, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Two hours labor doesn't seem bad if they are doing a quality job. If they are just going to run some wires and connect them with dime store crimps or twisty nuts, do it your self. The last thing you need is a car alarm or stereo shop hacking a wiring job on your new truck.

If you have the factory hitch you can pick up power from the # 7 wire in the hitch plug, these will come on in reverse.

4. Jan 25, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    I have the option of going to a very competent shop, they do all the police/state trooper vehicles. When I did mine I used them for advise etc... Easier than it seems but 2 hours seems resonable and if it goes bad at least your covered.

5. Jan 25, 2012 at 8:41 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    2 hours sounds about right for a complete job done right.

I'm absolutely not electrically inclined, and I plan on doing my own wiring jobs. I've already installed HID headlights, and LED interior lights. I'm sure you can do the same. You just need the drive to do it, and the patience to do it right.

6. Jan 25, 2012 at 10:40 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    X2

I do all my own wiring. There is no doubt in my mind it would take me two hours or more to do what you describe. But when I am done, it's done right, looks good, fused appropriately, and I seldom have to ever look at any of my wiring again.

7. Jan 26, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    sytfu510

sytfu510 Instagram: tacoma510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab Long Bed TRD Sport
    Dirt Designs LT kit front and 3 link kit rear SCS Wheels BAMF rack, bumper ,sliders
    That sounds about right, it took me longer to do my lights in the bed. It takes time to run wiring cleanly and then loom it all up and then zip tie it up. Then wire up the switch, do the fuse, run the wiring from outside into the cab. Took me longer since I just got the truck at the time. Overall it's a fairly simple job, but if you're in doubt better to just pay someone to do it ( rather than risk any electrical damage to your truck )

I bought the LED strips from AutoZone ( 2 led strips per pack @ $19.99 )

End Result:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Jan 26, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Yeah! I am not sure what kind of job some of these shops do. I've gone to shops that were commended in the past and they've done crap work. I found out by another shop telling me years down the road after the work was done and failed. i have a friend that does all stuff on his truck. His truck is paid if he screws up. Mine aint if either of us do lol. He's trying to get me to do the work instead of paying someone and then I can learn something and do it on something I own.

9. Jan 26, 2012 at 8:10 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2

Go for it! Just make sure you research and plan the whole job out before you start. Figure out how much amp draw you will have and size the fuse, switches, and wiring to handle that load. Have enough wire loom available to cover your wiring, and plenty of zipties to secure it out of the way where it can't get damaged. A decent crimper is worth having, and 3M electrical tape is worth the extra money. Don't start the job unless you have a whole day available. You don't want to be rushed. Take your time and take pride in your work. Wiring is one thing that is rare to get done right by someone else. You can do a better job than 90% of the "pros" if you just take the time to plan it all out before hand.

I highly recommend wiring them up to come on with the factory reverse lights. I've had them on a switch and I left them on way too many times by accident. Right now I have the option of manually turning them on, but almost never use the manual switch.

Products Discussed in

To Top