Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Wiring lights from the back of the truck to a switch inside the truck

Old 01-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Wiring lights from the back of the truck to a switch inside the truck

I've been toying with the fact of getting lights for when reversing etc. I found some LED lights that I do like for a decent price. Now, I am not electrically inclined at all and I had asked the guy at the shop and he told me two hours labour. I didn't think that sounded right, two hours to run wires from a set of lights that are mounted and bring wires into the cab for a switch. So my question is, should it take that long to do that sort of thing? Is it easy to do, maybe something that I can do myself?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
is he quoting u to hook up the switch, and complete the job or just run wires? ill be doing this next week.... it isnt that bad. just gotta be smart about where and how u place the wires. then electrically, u need to clarify if u are gonna run it off a switch or the reverse lights. im doing both with mine
Old 01-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Two hours labor doesn't seem bad if they are doing a quality job. If they are just going to run some wires and connect them with dime store crimps or twisty nuts, do it your self. The last thing you need is a car alarm or stereo shop hacking a wiring job on your new truck.

If you have the factory hitch you can pick up power from the # 7 wire in the hitch plug, these will come on in reverse.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have the option of going to a very competent shop, they do all the police/state trooper vehicles. When I did mine I used them for advise etc... Easier than it seems but 2 hours seems resonable and if it goes bad at least your covered.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
2 hours sounds about right for a complete job done right.

I'm absolutely not electrically inclined, and I plan on doing my own wiring jobs. I've already installed HID headlights, and LED interior lights. I'm sure you can do the same. You just need the drive to do it, and the patience to do it right.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #6
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
2 hours sounds about right for a complete job done right.
X2

I do all my own wiring. There is no doubt in my mind it would take me two hours or more to do what you describe. But when I am done, it's done right, looks good, fused appropriately, and I seldom have to ever look at any of my wiring again.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
INSTAGRAM: sytfu510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
That sounds about right, it took me longer to do my lights in the bed. It takes time to run wiring cleanly and then loom it all up and then zip tie it up. Then wire up the switch, do the fuse, run the wiring from outside into the cab. Took me longer since I just got the truck at the time. Overall it's a fairly simple job, but if you're in doubt better to just pay someone to do it ( rather than risk any electrical damage to your truck )

I bought the LED strips from AutoZone ( 2 led strips per pack @ $19.99 )

End Result:

Old 01-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah! I am not sure what kind of job some of these shops do. I've gone to shops that were commended in the past and they've done crap work. I found out by another shop telling me years down the road after the work was done and failed. i have a friend that does all stuff on his truck. His truck is paid if he screws up. Mine aint if either of us do lol. He's trying to get me to do the work instead of paying someone and then I can learn something and do it on something I own.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1983 View Post
Yeah! I am not sure what kind of job some of these shops do. I've gone to shops that were commended in the past and they've done crap work. I found out by another shop telling me years down the road after the work was done and failed. i have a friend that does all stuff on his truck. His truck is paid if he screws up. Mine aint if either of us do lol. He's trying to get me to do the work instead of paying someone and then I can learn something and do it on something I own.

Go for it! Just make sure you research and plan the whole job out before you start. Figure out how much amp draw you will have and size the fuse, switches, and wiring to handle that load. Have enough wire loom available to cover your wiring, and plenty of zipties to secure it out of the way where it can't get damaged. A decent crimper is worth having, and 3M electrical tape is worth the extra money. Don't start the job unless you have a whole day available. You don't want to be rushed. Take your time and take pride in your work. Wiring is one thing that is rare to get done right by someone else. You can do a better job than 90% of the "pros" if you just take the time to plan it all out before hand.

I highly recommend wiring them up to come on with the factory reverse lights. I've had them on a switch and I left them on way too many times by accident. Right now I have the option of manually turning them on, but almost never use the manual switch.