Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Poll: Rev-Matching Manual Transmission Taco's, Do You Do It?

View Poll Results: Do you rev match your manual transmission Taco?
Yes 64 68.09%
No 30 31.91%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #21
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
to get to first gear in the 5 speed while moving, you have to rev match, otherwise it'll grind. BAD.

but yeah, i like to. easier and smoother in traffic. just kinda sucks when you have exhaust cuz it makes noise lol
You shouldn't ever need 1st while moving faster than about 1mph. Just put it in second, it'll be fine.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #22
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
You shouldn't ever need 1st while moving faster than about 1mph. Just put it in second, it'll be fine.
no it won't when you have to do a switchback 180 degree turn, up a very steep incline the 2TR simply does not have sufficient torque in 2nd gear to move at a lower speed. the gearing is very far apart between 1st and 2nd. especially when the truck is loaded, this 2nd to 1st downshift and subsquent rev-match is a very useful tool to keep the truck moving uphill, through traffic, for example.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #23
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
no it won't when you have to do a switchback 180 degree turn, up a very steep incline the 2TR simply does not have sufficient torque in 2nd gear to move at a lower speed. the gearing is very far apart between 1st and 2nd. especially when the truck is loaded, this 2nd to 1st downshift and subsquent rev-match is a very useful tool to keep the truck moving uphill, through traffic, for example.
oh so like a mountain switchback? I could see that then. I've never see a switchback tight enough to require that slow of a speed.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #24
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
2004TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I also feel like speed racer rev matching it coming into a corner

This truck is pretty impossible to heel toe though with the brake pedal being so much higher than the throttle. Plus I suck at it.
If you got long feet like I do, you can use your heel to hold the brake, and the front of your foot to press the clutch, it wont go down all the way but it worked in my CJ5 for stalling on hills, kinda nice having my right foot free for the gas! That thing's e-brake never worked worth a shit either.

I rev match most of the time, just habitual really, driven older trucks and 4x4s with unsynchroed trannys throughout my life, so its just a natural reaction!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #25
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dustyroades's Tacoma Gallery
I rev match but I don't generally double clutch.

I'm still working on consistently being able to get into first between 10 and 20km/h. For my tranny at least, you need to rev match in neutral, with the clutch out, and if you're off even a little, you can't fix it with the clutch in.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #26
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
oh so like a mountain switchback? I could see that then. I've never see a switchback tight enough to require that slow of a speed.
yup. it's a blind curve so if your going up at speed limit or whatever, to be safe you gotta round the turn like 10mph max. especially at times when there is heavy oncoming traffic.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #27
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dustyroades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not in the 5 speed. Everyday traffic situations often require shifting to 1st while moving with this tranny, the most common being coming up to a red light that turns green just before you get there.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #28
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
That's a peculiar behavior of that 4 cyl truck. I test drove two and know what you mean.

What doesn't make sense is that the engine:axle ratio of the 2nd gear for the v6 manual (8.17:1) is taller than that of the 6-lug 4 cylinder's (8.45:1), but in the v6 truck I can often drive in 3rd gear down to 10 mph. The 4 cylinder doesn't want to go much below 10 mph in 2nd gear. The engine shakes and you gotta be on the brake like an automatic to keep it down there. Odd.

The 5-lug, now that's a tall 2nd gear ratio (6.80:1). That could be a real pain.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #29
TRDyota09 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jabin
TRDyota09's Tacoma Gallery
I could be wrong, so don't quote me but I do believe the correct terminology for what you are describing is " pre-loading" the clutch. It's more of a racing term I believe , but I do this all the time in my 6 speed to help with the stress on engine and transmission. I live in the mountains and to get to town its all downhill and a long one at that so I do a lot of downshifting for the tighter turns and pre-loading makes things much easier.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #30
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
That's a peculiar behavior of that 4 cyl truck. I test drove two and know what you mean.

What doesn't make sense is that the engine:axle ratio of the 2nd gear for the v6 manual (8.17:1) is taller than that of the 6-lug 4 cylinder's (8.45:1), but in the v6 truck I can often drive in 3rd gear down to 10 mph. The 4 cylinder doesn't want to go much below 10 mph in 2nd gear. The engine shakes and you gotta be on the brake like an automatic to keep it down there. Odd.

The 5-lug, now that's a tall 2nd gear ratio (6.80:1). That could be a real pain.
that must be it because my 3.4L will pull from 5mph in second gear no problem.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #31
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I do, reason being to be easy on the clutch. the closer you get on the rev match, the less the clutch has to slip to get the engine up to road speed. If you really downshift hard the rear wheels can even break loose which isn't good in bad weather.
Agreed do this on all manual vehicles I drive.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #32
MotorsportsAustin has a spectacular aura aboutMotorsportsAustin has a spectacular aura aboutMotorsportsAustin has a spectacular aura about
Name: Austin
MotorsportsAustin's Tacoma Gallery
Yup. Also put it in 5th before 1st to slow the shafts down, it's a crunchy and tight trans right now (still less than 100 miles) and drives like it's not a synchronized box.

Even though I could get away not doing it, I always use the clutch on a street car / truck.

Clutches last me a long time. Even the SACHS 4 puck in my race car is the same one I put in there 5 years ago.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:41 AM   #33
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
I heel to toe'd my old S10 all the time and heel to toe the Porsche when I'm racing it but the Tacoma, unfortunately, is an auto so that can't happen.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #34
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
I rev match, and I also never sit with the clutch depressed. I sold my last vehicle with 175K on the clock and the original clutch worked perfectly. The vehicle before that had 195K when I sold it with the original clutch. My Taco has just 72K and I'm planning on replacing that at 300K when I rebuild the engine
Old 01-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #35
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't answer the poll because my Taco is an automatic, but on my motorcycles and every other manual vehicle I've ever driven....

Clutchless? No.

Rev-match? Yes.

Trying to shift a 1600cc motorcycle without rev matching is going to be a rough ride.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #36
mr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mr2mki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Trying to shift a 1600cc motorcycle without rev matching is going to be a rough ride.
Agreed! The engine braking on a racy street bike engine is so significant, you could easily lose the back tire even in a straight line, if you don't slip the clutch really carefully! Rev match is the correct option IMO.

Quote:
My first guess? Idle/stall speed. I've never known a 4-cyl that could even idle below maybe 700RPM let alone drive, while the V6 in my Taco doesn't seem to mind driving (gently) at 400RPM or even 300RPM. 4-cyls are just naturally less balanced than a V6- though great strides have been made.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #37
Nmwill is on a distinguished road

Name: William
Nmwill's Tacoma Gallery
Rev match, yes. I still use the clutch on the taco though. Loved floating gears in my 90 Suzuki sidekick. But I baby my taco Tranny a little more.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #38
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Been driving manuals for about 30 years now and have never had to worry about a worn clutch. After youtubing what the title thread is, I know I have done it upon occasion when driving, but not as a rule. When slowing down I usually slip the transmission into neutral, brake normally, and when it is time to accelerate I usually know what gear I want depending on current speed, and shift into it then.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #39
catsman50 is on a distinguished road
catsman50's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If throttle blip counts then yup, every time. Done it for years... never even crosses my mind when I do it. Clutches aren't cheap and it saves wear if the engine does its own work.

Sometimes I'll get ambitious when doing a big downshift and double clutch and revmatch, but normally I let the synchros take the abuse.

I cringe when I ride in someone else's vehicle and they put it in 3rd at speed and let out the clutch without touching the gas. Nails on a chalkboard...
Doesn't cross my mind either it's second nature to bring the revs up when downshifting in all manuals I drive. Even on the marina forklifts I drive I try to bring up the revs when downshifting.

Makes it a much more comfortable ride and easier on the trans and motor.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #40
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
is this a real question? if you aren't rev matching on a down shift at speed, you really shouldn't be driving a vehicle equipped with a manual transmission.